Mouse/USB port does not work properly

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello!

I've got this mouse which has been working great for almost a year, but now it does not anymore. I took my computer for a car ride and as I put it up, it didnt work properly. After about 12 hours of use it did, and now as it's put up here at home again, it worked propely on bootup 2 times, and now it's not working just like before.

To describe what's happening:
The mouse lights are acting normally, the buttons and the scroll aswell, but the pointer wont move. I've tried to blow off dust, but nothing. What's strange is that it worked just perfect yesterday, but now and after the mentioned car ride not.´

I can use another mouse, but I'm currently unavailable to test it on another PC.

Any ideas?

have you tried testing the mouse on another usb port? preferably on a different cluster of usb ports. for example if you connect in the back, try the front ports.

a few tests you might want to try are:
-plug another mouse which you know works into the usb ports
-plug the mouse into another computer
-use the usb to ps/2 adapter and connect that way

perhaps during your move the vibration caused the usb connector to become loose. this might explain the intermittant it works/it doesn't work phenomenon. perhaps it is only one or two of the wires which are having issues which might explain why some functions work and some do not.

did you drop or damage the mouse?
is the cord frayed or twisted?

perhaps the short could be in the wire or in the mouse if it suffered abuse. this is why a few tests (like i mentioned above) should be done to try and find the reason why it doesnt work.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Hello and thanks for your answer.
Indeed there was a some sort of knot on the cord, and now as you mention, I remember that I tied it up right before connecting the mouse which this time around didn't work.

On my P7P55D-e Pro, I've got several different colors on the USB port, the blue which is 3.0 ports, regular black which I believe is 2.0 ports and I've also got theese two red ports, which I've always used but don't have a clue what they are colored for. In the black and red ports, aswell as for the front side panel USB connections, the mouse act the same way. Two different mice DO work tho, while connected to the same port. Now I use another equivalent mouse while the broken one remain connected, and sometimes this broken mouse' pointer works after a few hours even if the buttons do all the time.

I do not have a USB->PS/2 adapter for the moment but I'll try out whenever I get the chance.

The mouse does NOT work in other computers neither.

since other mice are working in the same port and the broken mouse acts the same way on other computers then i would say that there is a problem with that particular mouse. at this point there is no reason for the usb to ps/2 adapter as we took fault away from your pc.

now that you mention knotting the cord this might be the culprit. if you knot the cord sometimes wires can become weak and break over time. this would answer the intermittent connection.

if you really like the particular mouse in question i suppose you could try rewiring a new cord on which has a decent chance of fixing the problem however for the hassle it might just be worth retiring the old mouse and going with a new one.