Mouse Wheel Scroll Speed Changes when loading game rooms

JB

Windows XP default mouse scroll lines is 3, but when I
open any game rooms list window in the MSN Game Zone, the
wheel mouse scroll lines value will change to 1
everytime. Even if the scroll speed is set to 'one page
at a time' it will still revert back the scroll value of
1 line at a time.

This occurs on 3 machines all running XP Pro, how can I
force it to leave the default setting? Everytime I close,
I have to go back in and change the scroll value back to
3. Thanks.

It's been a known bug for a long time. I have the same problem and reset
the scroll speed after I am finished loading the lobbies I want to be in.

--
+Mr_A1
MSN® Games by Zone.com MemberPlus

"JB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP default mouse scroll lines is 3, but when I
> open any game rooms list window in the MSN Game Zone, the
> wheel mouse scroll lines value will change to 1
> everytime. Even if the scroll speed is set to 'one page
> at a time' it will still revert back the scroll value of
> 1 line at a time.
>
> This occurs on 3 machines all running XP Pro, how can I
> force it to leave the default setting? Everytime I close,
> I have to go back in and change the scroll value back to
> 3. Thanks.

JB

Thanks for the reply.
Is there any fix or workaround for this? I was thinking
it may have something to do with the java that loads with
the lobby window?

JB wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> Is there any fix or workaround for this? I was thinking
> it may have something to do with the java that loads with
> the lobby window?

You could find a reference to the three-lines scroll in the registry,
and export the registry key to the desktop. I just found it on my
machine, which runs Win98se, at:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

I found it by searching for "Scroll". (You might search for
"WheelScrollLines".) I continued searching with F3 till I found what I
thought was the right entry. When I found "WheelScrollLines"="Screen"
(set up with a screen scroll for this test), I changed the mouse in the
Control Panel to read "3 lines", refreshed the screen (pressed F5 within
Regedit), and that value changed to "WheelScrollLines"="3".

Highlight what you want to export, click File, Export. Then just
right-click the .reg file, click Merge to change the key back whenever
it's been altered by the Zone software.

That change was also made to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
.. I don't know if changing one and not the other will update it
properly; I haven't tried this myself.

You can also change the default for double-clicking a .reg file from
"Edit" to "Merge". Then you could double-click rather than right-click,
click "Merge" each time. To make that change:

- Open Folder Options
- Click File Types
- Click Registration Entries
- Click Edit
- Click Merge (to highlight)
- Click "Set Default" button and Merge will be in bold and will be the
default action.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

clvck

JB

Thanks for the workaround idea. That will work fine. Does
everyone running XP PRO have this issue with the Zone
lobby windows making this change? Are technicians aware
of this, and will there be a fix in the near future?
Thanks.

clvck
>.

JB

On my XP machines, the only key that was changed after
going the the Zone was the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

The other one remained at 3 lines.

I was able to export the .reg file to fix this with one
click but the problem I've discovered with that is, that
it does not take effect, until you reboot the machine.

Does anyone know how I can reach the R/D dept for the
zone via email to send a request for a fix for this? This
just seems to be too simple of a problem not to be
quickly remedied. Thanks.

JB wrote:

> On my XP machines, the only key that was changed after
> going the the Zone was the
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> The other one remained at 3 lines.
>
> I was able to export the .reg file to fix this with one
> click but the problem I've discovered with that is, that
> it does not take effect, until you reboot the machine.
>
> Does anyone know how I can reach the R/D dept for the
> zone via email to send a request for a fix for this? This
> just seems to be too simple of a problem not to be
> quickly remedied. Thanks.

Sorry it didn't "take"..

The Zone programmers were made aware of that glitch very soon after a
Zone update caused it. I suspect it will take another major update to
eliminate the problem.