Burned MOBO Capacitors

JLacey64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
A few days ago, my motherboard die because of the CAPACITORS burst open. It is a Jetway Motherboard using a VIA P4M266 chipset. My PC has been always crashing everytime i open it, it won't even reach the Windows.
I'm just curious, because earlier today I bought a new Intel Motherboard, which is an ASUS P4PE-X/TE, I did not buy a new CPU, so it is still a: Intel Pentium 4 1.5GH "WILLAMETTE". After placing the CPU and finished setting up the hardwares, and switched the unit on, nothing happened.

Now, I'm not sure whether the CPU is compatible to the ASUS P4PE-X/TE motherboard becuase it is new and requires newer intel pentium 4 processors.

or

Whether i could have fried the cpu by the time my old motherboard dies.

It says in the ASUS P4PE-X/TE manual that it supports Intel P4 Processor with 400FSB. But I'm just curious, does anyone here really know if it is really compatible?

THANKS for any advice!

<b><i>"The Past Is Over;
A New Beginning"</i></b>

Your cpu should work with the asus board if it's socket 478. I would try clearing the cmos jumper first. Then if there's no change, I would read the first faq by crashman on potential posting problems and troubleshooting.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The early Pentium 4 "willamette" processors with 423 socket won't work with that mobo.

But if you have a 478 willamette then it is ok.

I think it is also a good idea to upgrade your CPU that supports the 800FSB and HT so that you can utilized th efull efficiency of the mobo.

<b>.:::.:::.:::.</b>

JLacey64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
By the way, how do I clear the CMOS?

There is one evidence that the CPU is fried and that is when i remove all RAM modules and then switched the power on, i heard no beeps. Every connections in the case and the mobo is connected.

<b><i>"The Past Is Over;
A New Beginning"</i></b>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ram and cpu can result in no beeps. depends on the system. do you have any kind of diagnostic system on the new board? sets of led lights or a hex display on the board?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Telling him that will only serve to confuse him, it has no usefull pupose simply because the Socket 423 CPU won't even fit in a Socket 478 socket. He'd have already noticed that. He probably has one of the typical build issues listed in the Motherboard's FAQ.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JLacey64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
There is a led light on the asus board when it is switch on.

Should i get a new CPU?
Or a power supply?

<b><i>"The Past Is Over;
A New Beginning"</i></b>