Can anyone help, I appear to have lost my help & support. Everytime I try to
open it I get an error msg saying cannot find "helpctr.exe" or windows cannot
open help & support because a system service is not running. Any idea's.

alex

"tim_jackson69" wrote:

> Can anyone help, I appear to have lost my help & support. Everytime I try to
> open it I get an error msg saying cannot find "helpctr.exe" or windows cannot
> open help & support because a system service is not running. Any idea's.

Control Panel->Administration Tools->Services->Help And Support (find in
list), double-click and choose "Run","Automatically Startup"

Tim,

Do you have a file named helpctr in the Binary folder located at
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries? If you do, don't touch anything. If
not, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, 'Copy & Paste' file
'helpctr' into the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries (if asked to
replace, answer 'No'. You will need to find another solution)

Drew

"tim_jackson69" <tim_jackson69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help, I appear to have lost my help & support. Everytime I try
> open it I get an error msg saying cannot find "helpctr.exe" or windows
> cannot
> open help & support because a system service is not running. Any idea's.

Start>Run>type in:%systemroot%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe>ok

If the file is missing,then open %systemroot%\inf folder and find out
the PCHealth.inf file [check PCHealth in Windows Explorer). Right-click
on the file and select"Install".XP CD is required.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP