I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i decided
to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the phone,
installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up, no
icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you double
click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.

can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a thing.
help please.

Hi,

I suggest you first install all the infrared port drivers on your laptop.
After that, install the software that came with your Sony Ericsson s710a
cellphone.

Sony should include some transfer wizard for transferring tones, photos and
other files.

Hope this helps,

--
Best of luck,

Jose Francisco
jose@xpsource.com or josefarrugia@gmail.com
XPSource - http://www.xpsource.com

"Almighty Buttons" <Almighty Buttons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FDF766B0-1D23-4214-8588-F8F68737099A@microsoft.com...
>I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
> transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i
> decided
> to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the
> phone,
> installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up,
> no
> icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
> same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you
> double
> click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.
>
> can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
> properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a
> thing.
> help please.

tried that, didnt work. today i tried it on a friends laptop again. on his it
says "windows has detected computer s710a. click here to transfer files."
when i put the phone near my laptop it says "windows has detected a SE s710a
modem." is there a reason his detects it as a computer and mine as a modem??

"Jose Francisco" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest you first install all the infrared port drivers on your laptop.
> After that, install the software that came with your Sony Ericsson s710a
> cellphone.
>
> Sony should include some transfer wizard for transferring tones, photos and
> other files.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Best of luck,
>
> Jose Francisco
> jose@xpsource.com or josefarrugia@gmail.com
> XPSource - http://www.xpsource.com
>
> "Almighty Buttons" <Almighty Buttons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FDF766B0-1D23-4214-8588-F8F68737099A@microsoft.com...
> >I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
> > transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i
> > decided
> > to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the
> > phone,
> > installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up,
> > no
> > icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
> > same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you
> > double
> > click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.
> >
> > can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
> > properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a
> > thing.
> > help please.

If you don't have the IR-icon in the system tray then there is
communication problem between the mobile and the PC.Be sure both the
devices are face to face (IR) and there is no obstacle between the two.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305588&sd=tech
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896984

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Almighty Buttons wrote:
> I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
> transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i decided
> to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the phone,
> installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up, no
> icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
> same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you double
> click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.
>
> can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
> properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a thing.
> help please.

both devices are working properly. if i place my phone near my laptop it
doesnt work but works with his although i can place our laptops near each
other and they'll detect each other.

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> If you don't have the IR-icon in the system tray then there is
> communication problem between the mobile and the PC.Be sure both the
> devices are face to face (IR) and there is no obstacle between the two.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305588&sd=tech
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896984
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> Almighty Buttons wrote:
> > I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
> > transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i decided
> > to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the phone,
> > installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up, no
> > icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
> > same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you double
> > click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.
> >
> > can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
> > properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a thing.
> > help please.

the second link you posted describes the problem perfectly. i went to that
link and it tells me to get a hotfix, i click on the support link and it
sends me to a "contact us" page. where do i find this hotfix?

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> If you don't have the IR-icon in the system tray then there is
> communication problem between the mobile and the PC.Be sure both the
> devices are face to face (IR) and there is no obstacle between the two.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305588&sd=tech
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896984
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> Almighty Buttons wrote:
> > I have a sony ericsson s710a cellphone. it has an IR port on it and you can
> > transfer mp3s/pics back and forth from your phone to your pc. well i decided
> > to give this a try. placed my phone next to the port, pc detected the phone,
> > installed all the necessary drivers... then nothing. no boxes showed up, no
> > icons in the system tray. NOTHING. tried it on a friends pc and it did the
> > same thing except a small IR icon showed up on his tray and when you double
> > click it you can then transfer files to/from your phone.
> >
> > can anyone explain why my pc doesnt do this? it says my IR port is working
> > properly. I tried system restore and re-installing drivers, didnt do a thing.
> > help please.

You call the good folks and ASK them for the hotfix.