Better: Prescott D0 Stepping <=> (-10C)?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
This <A HREF="http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http://www.overclockers.ru/news/webnews.shtml&lp=ru_en" target="_new">article</A> (babelfished from <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.ru/news/webnews.shtml" target="_new">russian</A>) says that the D0 stepping for prescott decreases CPU temperature by about 10 degrees celsius:
For example, it is reported that [...] the processor on stepping D0 runs approximately 10 degrees cooler than the processor on stepping C0 with identical frequency.
Babelfish did a bad job of it, but the fact remains: it seems it was possible for Intel do drastically reduce heat dissipation... (with the amount of mon... er, good will and reputation that was at stake, well, they just had to find a way)

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Yes, well, but they do need 64-bit support quickly. If only they enabled it in LGA775... Ain't gonna happen, of course. :frown: But they better do something.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Now that you mentioned their new socket .. if all the rumours are true about ruining a motherboard if you install a CPU two, or three times in a Socket LGA775, then that's going to be really bad in my opinion! If not for companies like Dell, deffinetely for enthusiasts like us.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Why don't they just use male-male adaptors? I mean, pins going into the processor and into the motherboard coming from one adaptor. It's not that smarter, but it should be possible to implement solely on the mobo manufacturer's side.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much until I see that the pins really break easily. I mean, I don't plan on switching CPUs that often at all... Maybe once...

(actually, I've <i>never</i> upgraded just the CPU in any system I've had...)

The new socket design for 775 was made due to complaints from Dell about handling damage. The handling damage came from it's own employees. Better training was required. Dell employees are required to assemble a pc in only 4-5 minutes to make their quota of 15 per hour.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Wow, there goes my dream of reassembling my PC 20 times every hour... :lol:

I'm kind of hoping that that won't be a problem even for enthusiasts, because we will tend to be careful around our dear hardware...

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well i would think this would be bad for overclockers, that if they burn out a cpu, they have few chances to replace the cpu without replacing the entire board, if this turns out to be true.

americium

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
TOPIC STEALERS ;)

if we get back to the topic i have to say that if this is true and the avergae temperature of the D0 is 10 degrees less than the C0 then Intel might be back on track.

we'll have to wait for more reviews i guess.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
No Hardwareboss, I'm certainly not.

I'm just mentioning a development in the Intel struggle to keep on track... And a -10C is a respectable gain, I think.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
It'd be a good news if the performance wasn't just...mediocre. I know they intended to push the clockspeed even higher but it seems that that's just not happening due to the power limitations anyway. So what's another -10C if you can't release faster Prescotts?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Why do they need 64 bit support quikly when nothing uses it?

Aquamark score of 34,306 Goal 38,000
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152</A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Why do they need 64 bit support quikly when nothing uses
>it?

1) Linux, and a few gazillion Linux apps use it today, hardly "nothing". Within ~6 months Windows and Solaris will use it, leaving hmm.. just BeOS not using it ? Oh, and P4's bought today :)
2) marketing
3) to push software development, its really time to start switching. We should have started make the switch 5 years ago really, in order to have a smooth easy transition without bleeding noses and ugly and problematic hacks like AWE or rushed overdue releases. Its long overdue if anything.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
You're right, P4Man, that would be my answer too. However, for the average user and taking a look at the general picture, I'd say reason number 2 is the most important one: marketing. Absolutely. But of course, in the future, it will become a necessity. Right now, however, Intel is mainly losing face, not functionality.

americium

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
it's the 07/05/2004. according to xbitlabs if i remember this is the day when Intel ship the D0 Prescott stepping. no reviews yet? :-/

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
Remember me ?

AMD 2500+ @ 3200+ - Volcano 9 - A7N8X/DLX - Corsair XMS TWINX 3200LL 1024MB - GF 3 TI-200 - 2x WD Raptor RAID 0 - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120Gb 7200rpm Special Edition - Hiper 420w.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Yes... but just the name. I don't remember much beyond that....