NEC LCD monitors any good?

Looking for a 17" LCD flat panel.

Any thoughts on the NEC line in this size?

Also what is DVI and do I really need that?

Is the Dell 17" LCD panel really the best deal out
there even if you don't have a Dell computer?

Are we supposed to guess what you consider to be "any good?" You know, LCD
monitors are widely reviewed in the computer press. Have a look at PC
Magazine, PC World, CNet or Tom's Hardware Guide (to name just a few of the
better known sources of information.)

I have a 15" NEC LCD and love it.

A DVI (digital video interface) input accepts digital video signals from a
video card that has a DVI output. The alternative to a digital signal is an
analog signal. Since LCDs are inherently digital devices, an LCD has to
convert an analog input to digital in order to display it. Any of the online
publications above will explain the differences in detail.

In the early days of LCDs (we're talking, oh, two years ago), LCD monitors
didn't produce quite as sharp a picture from an analog signal. Today, the
images from a digital and an analog signal are just about identical.

Rocky

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Looking for a 17" LCD flat panel.
>
> Any thoughts on the NEC line in this size?
>
> Also what is DVI and do I really need that?
>
> Is the Dell 17" LCD panel really the best deal out
> there even if you don't have a Dell computer?

>A DVI (digital video interface) input accepts digital video signals from a
>video card that has a DVI output. The alternative to a digital signal is an
>analog signal. Since LCDs are inherently digital devices, an LCD has to
>convert an analog input to digital in order to display it. Any of the online
>publications above will explain the differences in detail.

So would you NOT even consider a LCD panel that didn't
have a DVI port?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a monitor without a DVI input - but that's just
my opinion.

CRTs are analog devices, while the video images created inside your computer
are digital. So in order to use a CRT monitor, your video card has to
convert the digital image into an analog signal. If you replace your CRT
with an LCD, the monitor has to convert the analog signal back to digital.
That's two conversions. Any time a video signal is converted, there is the
potential for the signal to be degraded somewhat.

As I mentioned, these days manufacturers have the conversions all nailed
down, so the differences between an LCD image produced from a digital vs. an
analog signal are really minor. (I suppose the more of a purist you are, the
more the differences will be apparent.) My own video card produces an analog
output, and the image on my LCD minitor is fabulous.

So why did I insist on buying an LCD monitor with a DVI imput? As CRTs fade
from the market, there will be increasingly less of a need for video cards
that produce analog outputs. I hope to keep this monitor for a long time,
and my next video card with certainly have a digital output.

> >A DVI (digital video interface) input accepts digital video signals from
> >video card that has a DVI output. The alternative to a digital signal is
an
> >analog signal. Since LCDs are inherently digital devices, an LCD has to
> >convert an analog input to digital in order to display it. Any of the
online
> >publications above will explain the differences in detail.
>
> So would you NOT even consider a LCD panel that didn't
> have a DVI port?

>So why did I insist on buying an LCD monitor with a DVI imput? As CRTs fade
>from the market, there will be increasingly less of a need for video cards
>that produce analog outputs. I hope to keep this monitor for a long time,
>and my next video card with certainly have a digital output.

Ahhh..... good point Rocky. And now I understand!

Thanks!

You also have to have a video card that has both connectors. Analog and
DVI.

Joan

me6@privacy.net <me6@privacy.net> coughed up the following:

>> A DVI (digital video interface) input accepts digital video signals
>> from a video card that has a DVI output. The alternative to a
>> digital signal is an analog signal. Since LCDs are inherently
>> digital devices, an LCD has to convert an analog input to digital in
>> order to display it. Any of the online publications above will
>> explain the differences in detail.
>
> So would you NOT even consider a LCD panel that didn't
> have a DVI port?

At this stage, I wouldn't buy one without it.

My current lcd, is a Sony 19" SDM-X93, and is driven by DVI.

It is sharp as all get out. A pixel is either all there or not.
Incredible, really. But there is an interesting side effect to that.

The lines are /so/ distinct that it almost hurts my eyes. I had to go
into the display preferences to make the default window background
off-white, because the white backgrounds were WAY too harsh, no matter
/what/ the settings of the monitor were.

Also, there's another issue: At some dot pitches, a text character line
is either 1 pixel wide and is too thin or 2 pixels wide and is too thick
and looks bold. You can get around that with antialiasing, but then all
you get is a fuzzy line.

You don't get this issue as much with a crt because the scanline of a
crt is inherently fuzzy by a smidgeon, which forms a sort of AA by
itself.

There's an interesting learning curve with these things.

--
It'salwaysbeenmygoalinlifetocreateasignaturethatendedwiththeword"blarpho
ogy".

Until I finally turned down the brightness, I needed SPF 30 to work with my
monitor.

Rocky

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:jMuxc.17316$321.11545@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
> me6@privacy.net <me6@privacy.net> coughed up the following:
>
> >> A DVI (digital video interface) input accepts digital video signals
> >> from a video card that has a DVI output. The alternative to a
> >> digital signal is an analog signal. Since LCDs are inherently
> >> digital devices, an LCD has to convert an analog input to digital in
> >> order to display it. Any of the online publications above will
> >> explain the differences in detail.
> >
> > So would you NOT even consider a LCD panel that didn't
> > have a DVI port?
>
> At this stage, I wouldn't buy one without it.
>
> My current lcd, is a Sony 19" SDM-X93, and is driven by DVI.
>
> It is sharp as all get out. A pixel is either all there or not.
> Incredible, really. But there is an interesting side effect to that.
>
> The lines are /so/ distinct that it almost hurts my eyes. I had to go
> into the display preferences to make the default window background
> off-white, because the white backgrounds were WAY too harsh, no matter
> /what/ the settings of the monitor were.
>
> Also, there's another issue: At some dot pitches, a text character line
> is either 1 pixel wide and is too thin or 2 pixels wide and is too thick
> and looks bold. You can get around that with antialiasing, but then all
> you get is a fuzzy line.
>
> You don't get this issue as much with a crt because the scanline of a
> crt is inherently fuzzy by a smidgeon, which forms a sort of AA by
> itself.
>
> There's an interesting learning curve with these things.
>

> --
> It'salwaysbeenmygoalinlifetocreateasignaturethatendedwiththeword"blarpho
> ogy".

Doesn't work, at least for me----I lose far too much in the other colors
when I lessen the brightness, backlighting, contrast, gamma, etc. enough
to allow black on white to not hurt.

The sony sdm-x93 is pretty good at allowing different backlighting, and
even has an auto sensor mode to adjust according to ambient light. I
don't think I've ever seen anything quite so consistent.

Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> coughed up the following:

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

me6@privacy.net <me6@privacy.net> coughed up the following:

> Looking for a 17" LCD flat panel.
>
> Any thoughts on the NEC line in this size?
>
> Also what is DVI and do I really need that?
>
> Is the Dell 17" LCD panel really the best deal out
> there even if you don't have a Dell computer?

Oh, one more warning-----

READ THROUGH WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM to determine which of the specs are
real.

As it turns out, some are hoo-haa.

And another warning:

Most lcd's will turn action games into a blurry mess. Be aware of that.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...