WinXP Pro & Win98FE Share files

alex

In my home wireless network i have 3 notebooks.
My primary notebook has WindowsXP Pro OEM, 2nd notebook has WinME OEM,
3rd Win98 OEM (all is legal versions went with notebooks).
I have ADSL modem/WiFi router to access Internet.
Internet access works on all 3 notebooks.
I shared some directories on 1st machine with WinXP.
Computer with WinME sees and accesses shared files, but computer with Win98
FE saw this files right after installation of WiFi PCMCIA card, but after few
restarts it ended- this machine sees workgroup name, but not a single shared
folder.

Is this some incopatibility between shares in WinXP,ME,98?

Or maybe i need to setup XP firewall some way, or run some service?

One thing 98 is not very good at is User names and XP is quite properly a
bit more fussy.

If your 98 machine has a user name and password for "Microsoft Networking"
set up the same name and password as a user on the XP machine and see if
that helps, otherwise XP might not show you the shares.

It is a complex subject so if this is not the solution don't give up, it's
just the simplest place to start.

If you get the password box when starting 98 you can either complete it or X
it or Cancel it and on the 98 machine this will make no difference but for
networking it most likely will. This is precisely the reason why most
companies pitched 98.

Charlie