WinXP Pro & Win98FE Share files

In my home wireless network i have 3 notebooks.
My primary notebook has WindowsXP Pro OEM, 2nd notebook has WinME OEM,
3rd Win98 OEM (all is legal versions went with notebooks).
I have ADSL modem/WiFi router to access Internet.
Internet access works on all 3 notebooks.
I shared some directories on 1st machine with WinXP.
Computer with WinME sees and accesses shared files, but computer with Win98
FE saw this files right after installation of WiFi PCMCIA card, but after few
restarts it ended- this machine sees workgroup name, but not a single shared
folder.

Is this some incopatibility between shares in WinXP,ME,98?

Or maybe i need to setup XP firewall some way, or run some service?
1 answer Last reply
More about winxp win98fe share files

    One thing 98 is not very good at is User names and XP is quite properly a
    bit more fussy.

    If your 98 machine has a user name and password for "Microsoft Networking"
    set up the same name and password as a user on the XP machine and see if
    that helps, otherwise XP might not show you the shares.

    It is a complex subject so if this is not the solution don't give up, it's
    just the simplest place to start.

    If you get the password box when starting 98 you can either complete it or X
    it or Cancel it and on the 98 machine this will make no difference but for
    networking it most likely will. This is precisely the reason why most
    companies pitched 98.

    Charlie

    "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In my home wireless network i have 3 notebooks.
    > My primary notebook has WindowsXP Pro OEM, 2nd notebook has WinME OEM,
    > 3rd Win98 OEM (all is legal versions went with notebooks).
    > I have ADSL modem/WiFi router to access Internet.
    > Internet access works on all 3 notebooks.
    > I shared some directories on 1st machine with WinXP.
    > Computer with WinME sees and accesses shared files, but computer with
    > Win98
    > FE saw this files right after installation of WiFi PCMCIA card, but after
    > few
    > restarts it ended- this machine sees workgroup name, but not a single
    > shared
    > folder.
    >
    > Is this some incopatibility between shares in WinXP,ME,98?
    >
    > Or maybe i need to setup XP firewall some way, or run some service?

Wireless Network Notebooks OEM Windows XP