I had to do a system restore and now I am missing all files that were saved
on the desktop, my wallpaper and all of my Outlook Express email files. Help!

What did you use for system restore? Did you use the built in Windows XP
utility or did you use the computer manufacturers method. If you used the
method supplied by the computer manufacturer you may have wiped the hard
drive during the restore process. If so, your files and customizations are
now gone.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to do a system restore and now I am missing all files that were saved
> on the desktop, my wallpaper and all of my Outlook Express email files.
> Help!

Richard,
I used the Win XP utility. It appears to have messed with my User Account
because programs are not recognizing me. When I attempt to run Excel, it
wants to register the program like the first time I ran it.

Terry

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> What did you use for system restore? Did you use the built in Windows XP
> utility or did you use the computer manufacturers method. If you used the
> method supplied by the computer manufacturer you may have wiped the hard
> drive during the restore process. If so, your files and customizations are
> now gone.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to do a system restore and now I am missing all files that were saved
> > on the desktop, my wallpaper and all of my Outlook Express email files.
> > Help!

System Restore deals with system files / settings not data files. You
should look for another reason for loss of data files!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to do a system restore and now I am missing all files that were
>saved
> on the desktop, my wallpaper and all of my Outlook Express email
> files. Help!

Hi,

I'm betting your user profile was corrupted and you are now using a
different, perhaps temporary, one. Open Windows Explorer to C:\Documents and
Settings and look under here for alternate user folders that may contain
your missing data.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/