Gottlieb system 1 power supply, what are my options?

I've got a bad power supply in a Gottlieb Hulk. Is there a rebuild kit
available? Does anyone repro these yet? Anyone got a good used one?
Thanks.

Mike

I found this on the web not too long ago and I thought the price was a
little high until I tried to put a kit together myself. His price was
about half so not too bad a deal
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/gottlieb_kits.htm

or you can buy a new one here:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/MODERN/Itemdesc.asp?ic=GPS002&eq=&Tp=

I do see these on ebay regularly too
Hope that helps some
Tim
www.timsarcade.net
www.varcadegames.com

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Go to http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rottendog/index.htm and buy a
replacement System 1 power supply. I bought mine over a year ago and
haven't had a single problem.
Eric

"pinballmike217" <weenerman217@aol.com> wrote in message
> I've got a bad power supply in a Gottlieb Hulk. Is there a rebuild kit
> available? Does anyone repro these yet? Anyone got a good used one?
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

try jim at rottendogamusements i think he made a replacement board
"pinballmike217" <weenerman217@aol.com> wrote in message
> I've got a bad power supply in a Gottlieb Hulk. Is there a rebuild kit
> available? Does anyone repro these yet? Anyone got a good used one?
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Try finding a competent repair person,
and have yours repaired. Once done,
it is a very reliable power supply.

--
Fred
TX

"pinballmike217" <weenerman217@aol.com> wrote

> I've got a bad power supply in a Gottlieb Hulk. Is there a rebuild kit
> available? Does anyone repro these yet? Anyone got a good used one?

Good advise Fred! Repairing a System-1 power supply board is not for
the timid. I repaired mine and it was a lot harder to do then the
typical driver board, etc. Lots of stuff packed in there and lots of
capacitors and zener diodes that have to be installed properly, plus a
couple of parts that mount to the heat sink are a challenge, to say the
least. If your soldering skills are anything less then top-rate, best
to find someone who can do the repairs for you.

Now the kits from Big Daddy are nice, and they do have all the parts.

steve (cargbp10 - sigh)

Fred Kemper wrote:
> Try finding a competent repair person,
> and have yours repaired. Once done,
> it is a very reliable power supply.
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8

Hi
I seemed to have missed something here. Why not diagnose
the failure and replace the bad part. I looked at the kits
and it looks like one would simply replace everything.
I know most consider power supplies as being hard to
diagnose but they are not that much harder. When a supply
fails, only one or two parts have failed. Possibly one
might also replace old electrolytics that may have aged,
as well.
Wholesale replacement of parts it often more damaging.
I do know that taking the Gottlieb supply apart is a
little challenging. I've not repaired one of these but
I would never think of replacing everything.
Dwight

Steve Kulpa wrote:
> Good advise Fred! Repairing a System-1 power supply board is not for
> the timid. I repaired mine and it was a lot harder to do then the
> typical driver board, etc. Lots of stuff packed in there and lots of
> capacitors and zener diodes that have to be installed properly, plus a
> couple of parts that mount to the heat sink are a challenge, to say the
> least. If your soldering skills are anything less then top-rate, best
> to find someone who can do the repairs for you.
>
> Now the kits from Big Daddy are nice, and they do have all the parts.
>
> steve (cargbp10 - sigh)
>
> Fred Kemper wrote:
> > Try finding a competent repair person,
> > and have yours repaired. Once done,
> > it is a very reliable power supply.
> >
> > --
> > Fred
> > TX
> > CARGPB#8

Hi Dwight,

your points are valid, but...

Remember, a system 1 power supply is now greater than 25 years old, and the
parts are bound to fail. If you ever have taken one apart to fix (like many
of us, including me), you DON'T want the possibility of having to take it
apart AGAIN, to replace a part you could have replaced earlier. In my view,
diodes, Zeners, pots, and caps are high stress items on those boards, and I
just replace them. On one system 1 board I even had to chase down a
resistor that tested good in circuit, but would fail when powered up. Took
that one apart a number of times before I got it right; so I learned my
lesson there.

Regards,
Dan

I think the kits contain all the parts so you're sure to get the
part(s) you need, not necessarily suggesting that you replace ALL
parts. Now on the other hand, it is a good idea to replace the
electrolytic capacitors, especially on these boards. They tend to dry
out w/ age and given the System-1 board gets fairly warm from being
right next to a warm heatsink, they dry out even quicker.

steve (cargbp10 - sigh)

if the parts are cheap why not replace them - unless you can't solder.
Sure it's a shotgun approach, but it won't take much longer.

I went ahead and ordered the full kit from Big Daddy. I welcome the
challenge of repairing the board. A dead Gottlieb board is just about
worthless so the worst thing that can happen is I I'm out $30.00 for
the parts kit. This will be great practice and I'm not taking a chance
on ruining a $300.00 WPC board.

Mike

> I've got a bad power supply in a Gottlieb Hulk. Is there a rebuild kit
> available? Does anyone repro these yet? Anyone got a good used one?
> Thanks.

I repair lots of games and I always keep a stock of the Rottendog
supplies for System 1 and System 80 games. Yes, power supplies can be
fairly easy to fix, but you should replace everything if you're going
to the trouble of taking the thing apart anyway and the rebuild kits
are not that cheap. I've tried to repair the things on the cheap in
the past only to have another component fail shortly afterwards.

$60 for a new supply is money well spent. Even when I restore games
that are fully working, they get a brand new power supply. So, in that
vein I naturally have a stock of working used supplies on hand.

I can send you a tested and working used supply if you'd like for $32
shipped. How long it will last, I cannot guarantee, but it will work
when shipped.