Windows 7 or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I've long wondered if i should dump my Vista and replace it with a windows 7 instead. I dont really like vista... so i wonder, wich of them are the "best" the most stabile one and such.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
yeah vista is stable, but i dont like the setup for it... is there a XP mod for vista so the menues and the deskop looks like xp? i really liked that clean interface from XP

If you have spare funds for Windows 7 you will like the fact that it has a built in XP compatability interface. This means the games you could play in XP but not in Vista will be playable in Windows 7.

This mode was done to lure the XP users that never converted to Vista. This alone is a very huge offering from Microsoft. The other nice thing is once you get your copy of Windows 7, you decide then if you are going 32bit or 64bit. You dont have to buy one or the other. But choose carefully as I think once you choose that is your version you are licensed to.

I used Windows 7 beta and it was very smooth and a clean interface. Everything worked just fine on my system.

If you dont have the spare funds then wait and get it later. Its a noteworthy OS to upgrade to IMO...

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I think you will find Windows 7 to be more up your alley than Windows Vista. I used Vista for a little over a year and recently installed the RC for Windows 7. 7 has that clean interface that you like, at least I think it has a clean interface. The XP SP2 compatibility will be right up your alley as well. I think it will be worth the money.

"XP Mode" is a Virtualized environment and does not support graphics acceleration. For this reason, it would be an exceedingly poor choice for this purpose. It is not there to support games. It is there as a means to provide the required environment to ensure connectivity/functionality for legacy custom/specialized (business) apps.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Would that make the start menu and everything on the deskop too look like XP?

It is a Virtualized environment - by definition, it has no hardware based acceleration.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4263

http://lifehacker.com/tag/windows-7-xp-mode/

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132119

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10229125-56.html

http://www.infoworld.com/d/virtualization/microsoft-gives-more-details-windows-7-xp-mode-960

{edit} That doesn't mean you can't specify a Compatibility Mode for the individual (game) by right clicking => Properties => Compatibility

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Well that sucked =/ but something that suck more is that my graphic card fan suddenly stuck in the wires that powers it and ripped them off -.- just bought the damn card and tomorrow i have to leave it in for warranty......................................... Crappy GeForce, my ATI that i run know is more stabile but it's old. Cheers ATI!

No. One of my gripes about Windows 7 is that the "Classic Mode" features that used to be there are gone - it's now the new way or the "highway".

I'm actually starting to like the new interface, but it does take some getting used to.

xaira

Distinguished
even if ur system looks like xp, all the unnecessarty services that come with vista are still started in the background

wait for rtm to get win7 or until they develop a crackthat stops the rc from xpiring, immagine my disappointment when i found out 7600 wasnt rtm

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008

If you don't like Vista of course download the wiNDOWS 7 RTM from MSDN on August 06, 2009 or August 16, 2009. My opinion is that Vista with SP2 / SP1 is become acceptable but of course we cannot put it a good OS, if you need to pay for OS and you just use for general computing it may not worth for you to buy a new OS now.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
The question he is really asking is, is it worth the money. Thing is, if your able to make Vista work, no. A lot of people say that Vista works "just fine" and isn't as sluggish as people say it is after SP1. Basically, given they weren't lying, your probably only going to see XP users switching over once compatibility isn't an issue. Although, MS isn't saying much about the new OS. So most people are going to assume initially "It's what Vista should have been."

No, it's not the money i'm concernd of.. i have enough :p what i really want to know it's how games and such work's in Windows 7? on my computer now i have both xp and vista. when i want to play high end games i have to use vista because of dx10 and the 4gig ram cap that is on my verision of xp. But when i dont play games or i play older games i always have xp running because i hate the slow thinking over capacitated vista. I've runned the MS Config to shut down a whole lot of progresses that starts up but it didnt help too much.

What i'm really is concerned of is as i said. Is it smoother then Vista? not all too noob friendly like vista is asking a 100 questions just for downloading a executable file and such, i mean that's just irritating for a person like me that know quite much about software and stuff.

Another thing that i dont like about vista is the interface of "explorer.exe" i think the whole *** looks ike crap confusing me over and over again. That's what i like about XP, XP had a way way way smoother interface. The vista interface is just clumpsy and irritating.

I also wonder about vista sp2, i havent downloaded it yet. Is it good and simpler as they promised or is it just original Windows bullcrap? i mean that they promise to make it much safer and infact it really doesnt matter. Will it also reduce the processes starting up so it will run faster or will it be like xp sp3. Total *** that makes your computer so slow you start to wonder if u got a *** load of viruses on it...

I know Punkbuster has had some issues - mostly due to their delay/lack of support for Windows 7. In certain games, it doesn't recognize the OS and shuts you out for 'cheating'. In their defense, 7 is still Beta/RC - So it may be... unrealistic to expect them to have their ducks in a row. Nevertheless... < and we'll skip the discussion that "Punkbuster is really a form of 3rd party DRM" >

By and large, most games 'Just Run' - There is (one of many) listing(s) at http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/5739-windows-7-game-compatibility-list.html Of course - The Caveat that you can't run programs/games with 16 bit code still applies to Win 7 x64. My personal experience is 7 is as fast in a gaming situation as it's predecessors. Theoretically, one hopes this should further improve as DX11 cards and software hit the streets. But that is some time off, yet. A little note: 7 includes a nice utility you can use to calibrate your monitor - I like the difference.

I have both at home - In regular usage, Windows 7 is noticably snappier than Vista. Superfetch has been made more polite about how it manages system resources - preferring to work in the background - and the result of that is it boots to a usable desktop faster. Regarding pop-up questions from the OS: UAC is configurable and more polite by default.

Really? I happen to like the 'Breadcrumbs' approach, rather than the up/back icon, since I can skip a couple levels with a single click. To be honest, though - I don't navigate folders and sub folders very often any more: Instead, I just type the name of what I want in the search box. The results come back as fast as I can type.

I've had it (Vista x64 SP2) running for a couple months - from shortly after the time it became available through Technet. Verdict? Well... it's a service pack... Makes a few tweaks, compiles various patches and updates into a single file, etc etc.. But it's not Holy Water, doesn't make any fundamental changes to the operating system, and once installed the sky doesn't open up with a brilliant white light decending from The Very Heavens Above to somehow transform the OS into "XP 2010" (which is apparently what a lot of people want). So if that's what you're looking for, then.. :cry:

If you'd like to optimize performance, here's a pretty decent tutorial: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-performance-vista.html

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Scotteq, dude, Thanks alot. I can really see that you took yourself time and answered my questions. Thanks for the link to the tutorial it worked better then i suspected =) Too bad about punkbuster =/ i play bf2. Well i guess i'll wait a while to upgrade to windows 7 because is seem to have alot of bugs and such. Guess i'll wait a year or something.

And i'm downloading sp2 now anyways, it atleast seems a little better then without :p

jdelsignore911

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If something supports windows vista and it says nothing about windows 7 will it have a driver install or will a need a new one. (specifically talking about mice and keyboards) I read it in the system requirements.

xaira

Distinguished
this is excluding graffix drivers

every driver that worked on xp x86 will work on vista x86 and 7 x86
every driver that worked on xp x64 will work on vista x64 and 7 x64

the setup program might tell u its incompatible, but if u get the inf and the other base driver files ull be kool

and i dont see the need to certify everything either, my monitor is certified for win vista, my vga monitor, so a vga monitor from 1999 wont work?
of course it will, so wats the point

Status
Not open for further replies.