standby to hibernate

Hi,

I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)

If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
burning up the LCD.

Jim

Steven Wong <gndm_2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
> I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
> to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
> into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
> disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)

> If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
> the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
> burning up the LCD.

Have you tried enabling standby / disabling hibernation?

Jim <jgrafton@mindpsring.com> wrote in message news:<c8tek7$a3u$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>...
> Steven Wong <gndm_2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
> > I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
> > to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
> > into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
> > disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)
>
> > If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
> > the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
> > burning up the LCD.
>
> Have you tried enabling standby / disabling hibernation?

Yes I could do that, but ideally I would want my laptop to enter
standby mode if I am away for say, about 5 minutes. Then, since
standby mode takes a bit of battery power, I would want my laptop to
go into hibernation after about an hour. So I would need both Standby
and hibernation modes enabled.

Looking around the Dell Support website, I found this question has
been asked many times, with the only reply, dated 2001, saying there
was no solution to this problem. I'm hoping that after 3 years Dell
has been able to fix this?

Thanks for the reply,