Dell 4600 board

JJ

Just wondering about an idea I have seen posted before. I have the Dimension
2400 but am considering replacing the motherboard with a 4600 MB. With the
865 chipset and an AGP video I know this board can outperform the 2400. The
question becomes...am I correct in my belief that the 4600 board fits right
into the 2400 case? Yes, I have too much time on my hands and I want to get
a little more performance so that I can play a few of the newer graphic
intensive games.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
John O.

"JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Just wondering about an idea I have seen posted before. I have the
> Dimension
> 2400 but am considering replacing the motherboard with a 4600 MB. With the
> 865 chipset and an AGP video I know this board can outperform the 2400.
> The
> question becomes...am I correct in my belief that the 4600 board fits
> right
> into the 2400 case? Yes, I have too much time on my hands and I want to
> get
> a little more performance so that I can play a few of the newer graphic
> intensive games.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

Yes it does. Identical match. The 4600 board requires either a 533 or
800mhz FSB CPU and two identical DIMMs to use the dual channel feature.

Stew

JJ

Thanks and I do have another question. The MB is advertised as also
supporting 400 FSB for Celerons. Any idea if that is true?

Regards,
John O.

> Thanks and I do have another question. The MB is advertised as also
> supporting 400 FSB for Celerons. Any idea if that is true?
>
> Regards,
> John O.

<snip>

John,

While I've not seen a 4600 with a Celeron 400FSB chip, Intel says the 865
supports that chip. It may just be that Dell doesn't use that
configuration, leaving the Celeron for the entry level 2400:

Intel 865 specs:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/

Dimension 4600 specs:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

Stew

JJ

Thanks for all of the great information Stew! I have the Celeron in my 2400
and am going to install it in the 4600 MB for a few months until I convince
my wife that the P4 is critical to the continuation of life on this planet
as we know it. Or until I can make myself a pathetic enough figure for her
to cave in. Wait..I already am pathetic enough at times according to
her...hmmm more planning then.

> "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks and I do have another question. The MB is advertised as also
> > supporting 400 FSB for Celerons. Any idea if that is true?
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.
> >

> <snip>
>
> John,
>
> While I've not seen a 4600 with a Celeron 400FSB chip, Intel says the 865
> supports that chip. It may just be that Dell doesn't use that
> configuration, leaving the Celeron for the entry level 2400:
>
> Intel 865 specs:
> http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/
>
> Dimension 4600 specs:
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251
>

> Stew

All of this is an interesting plan, but I would bet that if you put the 2400
on ebay, took the cash, and bought a brand-new 4600, you would come out
ahead.

Tom
> Thanks for all of the great information Stew! I have the Celeron in my
2400
> and am going to install it in the 4600 MB for a few months until I
convince
> my wife that the P4 is critical to the continuation of life on this planet
> as we know it. Or until I can make myself a pathetic enough figure for her
> to cave in. Wait..I already am pathetic enough at times according to
> her...hmmm more planning then.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > Thanks and I do have another question. The MB is advertised as also
> > > supporting 400 FSB for Celerons. Any idea if that is true?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John O.
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > John,
> >
> > While I've not seen a 4600 with a Celeron 400FSB chip, Intel says the
865
> > supports that chip. It may just be that Dell doesn't use that
> > configuration, leaving the Celeron for the entry level 2400:
> >
> > Intel 865 specs:
> > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/
> >
> > Dimension 4600 specs:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

> > Stew

JJ

You know Tom, I have thought about doing that very thing. Just might take
your advice and do the deed. Once I add a better video card and a P4 and the
4600 MB, it becomes less attractive. Selling the 2400 and adding in the
price of the upgrades and you have a 4600 new....sigh. Thanks for the
advice.

Regards,
John O.

> All of this is an interesting plan, but I would bet that if you put the
2400
> on ebay, took the cash, and bought a brand-new 4600, you would come out
> ahead.
>
> Tom
> "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all of the great information Stew! I have the Celeron in my
> 2400
> > and am going to install it in the 4600 MB for a few months until I
> convince
> > my wife that the P4 is critical to the continuation of life on this
planet
> > as we know it. Or until I can make myself a pathetic enough figure for
her
> > to cave in. Wait..I already am pathetic enough at times according to
> > her...hmmm more planning then.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.
> >

> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > John,
> > >
> > > While I've not seen a 4600 with a Celeron 400FSB chip, Intel says the
> 865
> > > supports that chip. It may just be that Dell doesn't use that
> > > configuration, leaving the Celeron for the entry level 2400:
> > >
> > > Intel 865 specs:
> > > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/
> > >
> > > Dimension 4600 specs:
> > >
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251
> > >

> > > Stew

Here's my personal experience. I had a very nice P4-1.7 Dimension 8100. I
had upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP and added 512MB of RDRam.

I wanted a new machine, at the time a nice Dimension 4550 - P4-2.66 (still
my main machine).

I talked to my wife and we agreed that if I could sell the old machine and
get within $300 of the new, then I should go for it.

I put the machine on ebay with the original Windows 2000 and 512MB of
memory. Sold the XP upgrade and 512MB upgrade separately.

Bought a nicely configured 4550 with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2, 768MB memory,
etc. etc.

Ended up AHEAD $25.

Tom
> You know Tom, I have thought about doing that very thing. Just might take
> your advice and do the deed. Once I add a better video card and a P4 and
the
> 4600 MB, it becomes less attractive. Selling the 2400 and adding in the
> price of the upgrades and you have a 4600 new....sigh. Thanks for the
> advice.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

> > All of this is an interesting plan, but I would bet that if you put the
> 2400
> > on ebay, took the cash, and bought a brand-new 4600, you would come out
> > ahead.
> >
> > Tom
> > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for all of the great information Stew! I have the Celeron in my
> > 2400
> > > and am going to install it in the 4600 MB for a few months until I
> > convince
> > > my wife that the P4 is critical to the continuation of life on this
> planet
> > > as we know it. Or until I can make myself a pathetic enough figure for
> her
> > > to cave in. Wait..I already am pathetic enough at times according to
> > > her...hmmm more planning then.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John O.
> > >

> > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> > 865

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

2400s sell for peanuts brand new. You going to get very much for a used
one? I think you'll lose money here. Just like buying a new car and then
selling it 3 months later.

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> 2400s sell for peanuts brand new. You going to get very much for a used
> one? I think you'll lose money here. Just like buying a new car and then
> selling it 3 months later.

<snip>

Never underestimate the willingness of some ebay bidders to overpay.
Besides, he could set a reserve price for his bottom line amount he needs
and if it doesn't sell after a couple three listings, big deal.

I do agree that PCs are about the only thing that depreciates faster than an
automobile, however.

Stew

My mother in law would say that I depreciated fastest of all. But that's OT.

Rocky

> "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > 2400s sell for peanuts brand new. You going to get very much for a used
> > one? I think you'll lose money here. Just like buying a new car and
then
> > selling it 3 months later.
> >

> <snip>
>

> Never underestimate the willingness of some ebay bidders to overpay.
> Besides, he could set a reserve price for his bottom line amount he needs
> and if it doesn't sell after a couple three listings, big deal.
>
> I do agree that PCs are about the only thing that depreciates faster than
an
> automobile, however.
>

> Stew

JJ

Actually I have rethought this one a bit. I want to get a system down the
road in about 2 years. This 2400 will then become the wife's and for the
grandkids to work with. So I am going to pretty much keep this one the way
it is but I am upgrading the processor. I have a Celeron 2.4 right now and
am going to put in either a P4 2.8 or a 3.06 and that should speed things up
a bit.

Regards,
John O.

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> 2400s sell for peanuts brand new. You going to get very much for a used
> one? I think you'll lose money here. Just like buying a new car and then
> selling it 3 months later.
>

> "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > You know Tom, I have thought about doing that very thing. Just might
take
> > your advice and do the deed. Once I add a better video card and a P4 and
> the
> > 4600 MB, it becomes less attractive. Selling the 2400 and adding in the
> > price of the upgrades and you have a 4600 new....sigh. Thanks for the
> > advice.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > > All of this is an interesting plan, but I would bet that if you put
the
> > 2400
> > > on ebay, took the cash, and bought a brand-new 4600, you would come
out
> > > ahead.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > 2400
> > > convince
> > planet
> > her

> also

> the
> > > 865

> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Probably not worth it to upgrade that CPU. You're probably not maxing the
CPU very often, if at all.
You're money is probably better spent on more memory. How much do you have?
256MB is bare minimum. 512MB is much better.

> Actually I have rethought this one a bit. I want to get a system down the
> road in about 2 years. This 2400 will then become the wife's and for the
> grandkids to work with. So I am going to pretty much keep this one the way
> it is but I am upgrading the processor. I have a Celeron 2.4 right now and
> am going to put in either a P4 2.8 or a 3.06 and that should speed things
up
> a bit.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > 2400s sell for peanuts brand new. You going to get very much for a used
> > one? I think you'll lose money here. Just like buying a new car and
then
> > selling it 3 months later.
> >

> > "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > You know Tom, I have thought about doing that very thing. Just might
> take
> > > your advice and do the deed. Once I add a better video card and a P4
and
> > the
> > > 4600 MB, it becomes less attractive. Selling the 2400 and adding in
the
> > > price of the upgrades and you have a 4600 new....sigh. Thanks for the
> > > advice.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John O.
> > >
> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> the
> > > 2400
> out

> my
> > > planet
> for
> > > her

> > also

> > the

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

JJ

I have 512 MB now with an NVidia 5200 PCI video card. I notice a bit of lag
on some games and assume that the performance would be much better with the
P4. I have read that the P4 would probably be about 20-30% of an increase in
performance.

Regards,
John O.