Sign in with
Your question

Dvi cables

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 8, 2011 6:45:54 PM

Hello,
I am having problems with the monitor, when I play Lotro my frame rate is only 60 fps, and when I open windows in the game my monitor gets dark.

asus X58 with i7 930
XFX 6950 2 gig
750 watt psu
6 gig ram
I suspect my video cable, but not sure.

More about : dvi cables

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2011 9:03:10 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Computer Peripherals by Grumpy9117
a c 195 C Monitor
May 9, 2011 5:14:17 AM

Technically speaking, a typical LCD monitor can only display 60 frames per second because the DVI port operates at 60Hz. That means the video card only sends video signals to a monitor 60 times per second.

A 120Hz monitor uses a dual DVI connection. Each DVI connections operates at 60Hz for a combined total of 120Hz.

Not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
when I open windows in the game my monitor gets dark.

Are you talking about switching back to Windows while the game is running or opening a menu within the game?

I would try reinstalling the video drivers, connecting to the other DVI port if your video card / monitor has more than one DVI port, and lastly, barrow a DVI cable from someone.
Related resources
May 10, 2011 8:20:06 PM

jaguarskx said:
Technically speaking, a typical LCD monitor can only display 60 frames per second because the DVI port operates at 60Hz. That means the video card only sends video signals to a monitor 60 times per second.

A 120Hz monitor uses a dual DVI connection. Each DVI connections operates at 60Hz for a combined total of 120Hz.

Not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
when I open windows in the game my monitor gets dark.

Are you talking about switching back to Windows while the game is running or opening a menu within the game?

I would try reinstalling the video drivers, connecting to the other DVI port if your video card / monitor has more than one DVI port, and lastly, barrow a DVI cable from someone.

Thanks for the repy, the problem is in game and my monitor is a 75 Hxz. Will try re-installing driver.
a c 105 C Monitor
May 11, 2011 11:58:28 AM

your monitor is an "lcd flat panel" and not a "crt monitor" correct?

like skx stated, i've only heard of 60hz and 120hz monitors.

---

some games seem to limit your maximum fps to around 60. i know gw does this to me. my old 7800gtx used to hover around 60fps and now my new 470gtx seems to hover around 60fps. obviously the card is much more powerful so its the game software setting a limit. perhaps there is an option to remove this but on a regular 60hz monitor you won't even notice.

as for in screen darkening when opening menus, did this ever happen before? i know in some games i've played everything behind the menu window might get darkened to put focus on the menu, but the menu itself stays the right brightness level. if this is the case then it might be normal. i'd take a look around the graphic settings area and see what you find.
!