OEM Licence Vs Full Pack Vs OLP

Can anyone tell me what is exact difference ? If I have OEM pack (Windows XP
Home) and I don't activate or register through Microsoft website, Is it dead
after one year ?

If I have OEM pack and my HDD crash and I changed it, Should I buy new OEM
CD ? If I work with same HDD and upgrade only CPU then also licence expire ?
What is the difference between Full Pack and OEM ?

In full pack if I sell the PC (without software) then can I install my CD
(windows XP) on new PC ?

In news:0D6348DC-8F49-46E3-B1E0-5F860573C405@microsoft.com,
dhruv_shah <dhruv_shah@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Can anyone tell me what is exact difference ? If I have OEM
> pack
> (Windows XP Home) and I don't activate or register through
> Microsoft
> website, Is it dead after one year ?

No, there's nothing that happens after one year. It has to be
activated, not reistered, and it has to be done within 30 days.
If it isn't activated within 30 days, it will stop running except
in safe mode.

However, if your computer came with XP installed, it may have
been pre-activated and you don't have to do it.

> If I have OEM pack and my HDD crash and I changed it, Should I
> buy
> new OEM CD ?

No. Your old one is still valid.

> If I work with same HDD and upgrade only CPU then also
> licence expire ?

No. Your old one is still valid.

> What is the difference between Full Pack and OEM ?

The OEM version can only legally be sold with hardware, although
these days, any piece of hardware, even a power cord, qualifies.
Although if you get a complete generic OEM version, it contains
the same software, it has the following disadvantages as compared
with the retail version:

1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
sold, or given away.

2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
newsgroups.

> In full pack if I sell the PC (without software) then can I
> install
> my CD (windows XP) on new PC ?

Yes.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Your unused OEM version is still valid, so go ahead and install it.
However, its license is permanently bound to the very first computer
it is installed and activated on, therefore it cannot be installed to a
different computer in the future.

OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
-- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
-- cannot be transferred to a different computer in the future.
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
-- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support.
-- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key.
is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
-- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks.

Best Advice: Purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dhruv_shah" wrote:

| Can anyone tell me what is exact difference ? If I have OEM pack (Windows XP
| Home) and I don't activate or register through Microsoft website, Is it dead
| after one year ?
|
| If I have OEM pack and my HDD crash and I changed it, Should I buy new OEM
| CD ? If I work with same HDD and upgrade only CPU then also licence expire ?
| What is the difference between Full Pack and OEM ?
|
| In full pack if I sell the PC (without software) then can I install my CD
| (windows XP) on new PC ?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Some corrections, Carey. They are in CAPS.
> Your unused OEM version is still valid, so go ahead and install it.
> However, its license is permanently bound to the very first computer
> it is installed and activated on, therefore it cannot be installed to a
> different computer in the future.
AND WHAT IF IT HAS NOT BEEN ACTIVATED ON THE FIRST COMPUTER?????

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>The OEM version can only legally be sold with hardware, although
>these days, any piece of hardware, even a power cord, qualifies.
>Although if you get a complete generic OEM version, it contains
>the same software, it has the following disadvantages as compared
>with the retail version:
>

>1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
>installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
>sold, or given away.
>

>2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.
>

>3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
>them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
>from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
>non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
>newsgroups.

Some additional disadvantages with *some* OEM versions, specifically
preinstalled OEM versions that come with a "System Recovery" disk or
partition rather than an installation CD:

1. You may not be able to boot to the Windows XP Recovery Console
2. You may not be able to do a Repair Install (also called an
in-plazce upgrade).
3. You may not be able to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
to transfer data from a previous computer.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service