Is it normal for Yahoo page to take over like this?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I recently updated my Yahoo Messenger - it was a custom install, just
the Messenger app and nothing else - and even when Messenger is not
running, I've noticed that if I go to a Yahoo page and then
subsequently have more than one Internet Explorer page open, the Yahoo
page will "take over" and move to the front whenever it refreshes. Any
ideas as to what's happening?
Thanks -

anthony wrote:

>I recently updated my Yahoo Messenger - it was a custom install, just
>the Messenger app and nothing else - and even when Messenger is not
>running, I've noticed that if I go to a Yahoo page and then
>subsequently have more than one Internet Explorer page open, the Yahoo
>page will "take over" and move to the front whenever it refreshes. Any
>ideas as to what's happening?
>Thanks -

I don't use it, but it sounds like a Browser Helper Object (BHO) is
being loaded. You can verify what BHO's are loaded in ie 6.x by going
to Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add-ons then choose "Add-ons
currently loaded in Internet Explorer" from the "Show" drop down list.
You can then highlight on an entry on the list and click the disable
radio button at the bottom if you don't want it to run when you start
ie. The BHO will still be there and you can enable it later if you
want to by going back to the same location and choosing the enable
radio button.

From: "anthony" <anthonyh@remate.net>

| I recently updated my Yahoo Messenger - it was a custom install, just
| the Messenger app and nothing else - and even when Messenger is not
| running, I've noticed that if I go to a Yahoo page and then
| subsequently have more than one Internet Explorer page open, the Yahoo
| page will "take over" and move to the front whenever it refreshes. Any
| ideas as to what's happening?
| Thanks -

Download, install and update BHODemon -- http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

See if Yahoo has inserted a Browser Helper Object as Andy Walker has suggested.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

As long as the custom install is what you selected you should be okay.

I notice on the first page of the installer there was an option that you
could uncheck but even if you do this when the second page pops in the
option is checked again - can't remember which option it was, yahoo insider
or something yada yada yada.

Anyway, as for yahoo pages moving to front or seizing focus on refresh I
think they have always tried to do this. I know there's an option for
keeping the messenger on top, also one for new IE when a yahoo page is
selected or some such thing, donp;t know if these make a difference but I
did the custom install and have no BHOs or anything sophisticated like that.

Charlie