Sign in with
Your question

Prescott honor saved by ATI 9100 IGP PRO

Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2004 6:54:20 PM

AnandTech <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2043&p..." target="_new">posted a review of the new ATI Chipset</A> they compared Northwood and Prescott performance on this chipset. The conclusion : Prescott get a significant boost in performance when use with this chipset compared Intel 875P chipset. <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040503/index...." target="_new">Tom's Hardware review of the same chipset</A> did not mention it. So, it seems that the Prescott architecture do not behave exactly the same and the chipset can make a difference in performance

I hesitate to post it here or in the Chipset forum... I tought this might get more attention here becasue of the Prescott stuff.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!
May 3, 2004 7:16:09 PM

Those are weird result.

i need to change useur name.
May 3, 2004 7:34:56 PM

Not weird, but this reflect that fact that it's possible to optimize a chipset for Prescott core, which is a great news for Intel and Intel Fanboy. Prescott got bad press, if the upcoming Intel chipset contain Prescott optimisations too, this might reduce the performance gap with Northwood based chip. Prescott will become in interesting choice.

If ATI 9100 IGP PRO chipset is a good overclocker when it will hit the shelves Prescott/ATI 9100 might become a great overclocker's platform like Athlon XP (Barton) with nForce2.

It's bad the ATI don't support AMD yet and that nVidia don't support Intel yet. This would shake the Chipset/CPU market a lot. Because chipset are really becoming choosing factor for platform. Many PC buyer's turned to P4C because nForce3 150 were not up to the expectation and VIA/SiS chipset didn't provide good O/C potentiel. But with the new nForce3 250, AMD platform looks more attractive. Maybe, ATI can do this for Intel and become a chipset of choice for Intel based systems.

--
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2004 8:44:58 PM

Nice news a Prescott with new stepping running at around 4ghz on an optimized chipset should be able to perform pretty well. I would still lean towards AMD if I had to buy a new system but its some improvments for intel...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900@450/875, 2X30gig Raid0
May 3, 2004 10:21:18 PM

Improvements alright, but Intel is completely out of the 64-bit wagon right now. They need to work on that, fast.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
May 3, 2004 10:29:07 PM

They need D0 out fast too....OCability would be sick if they could just cool the thing down.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
May 3, 2004 10:31:36 PM

Yes indeed.

***cough*** activate 64-bit in LGA775 (which is late already anyway, you bastards!!!) ***cough***

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
May 3, 2004 10:52:38 PM

Optimization for the presscott core what can you change for higher performance that only prescott can use or prescott use better.The only thing i can see is better handling of write buffer.In any case that wont give much more that 1 or 2% nothing close to the 5%.

Also why push the 2.8 E others version could have been use.The benchmark is short and only use game i will wait for better benchmark and more information before make a jugement.

i need to change useur name.
May 4, 2004 4:34:10 AM

well maybe they will actaully have real phyisical d0 stepping chips, unlike the phantom paper known as p4e 3.2 and 3.4 ghz
May 4, 2004 7:33:27 AM

With no direct comparison with 865 (or did I miss it ?) I'm not sure if you can conclude *anything*. Imagine I tweaked a 440BX with single channel 100 Mhz SDRAM to work with the P4, it would be completely memory starved, and likely Prescott and Northwood would perform equally (bad) on it. Does that mean I "optimized" it for Prescott ? Not unless producing a slow chipset to work with a mediocre CPU is what you call 'optimizing' :) 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
May 4, 2004 12:29:19 PM

Quote:
Nice news a Prescott with new stepping running at around 4ghz on an optimized chipset should be able to perform pretty well.

AMD will have to keep fighting! Every step foward for Intel (or AMD) gives the competitor one more reason to step foward too!

Quote:
I would still lean towards AMD if I had to buy a new system

Me too, and the main reason it's the chipset. I really like the nForce3 250Gb integrated firewall. I run FTP/HTTP on my PC and security is very important to me. It's weird, I feel like I will buy a chipset intead of a CPU. Because honestly in most apps. we can't see the difference in performance between AMD/Intel CPU's.

--
Related resources
!