Sign in with
Your question

Next Intel price drop?

Last response: in CPUs
May 4, 2004 4:45:47 AM

I need to buy a new cpu. Does anybody know, or at least has any idea, of when the next Intel price drop will be?

More about : intel price drop

May 4, 2004 6:15:34 AM

No rumor of a price drop lately. In fact, Intel has been making paper launches recently just to avoid being smoked by the latest AMD64 offering in the market. Until these high end Intel cpu's hit the shelves, methinks there'll be no price drops in sight.
May 5, 2004 6:42:23 AM

who cares when intel drops their price they still will be the slowest
Related resources
May 7, 2004 1:38:20 AM

Thank you very much for your helpful answer. Surely you've given us all an incredible demonstration of your world class knowledge and objectiveness.

May 7, 2004 2:54:36 AM

There is no rumor that intel will cut is price soon.There is no rumor of new speed grade also.3.6 and higher should be release around Q3 that my guess price should drop around this time.

i need to change useur name.
May 7, 2004 3:43:53 AM

A64-3700+ is due out in June. Intel may rethink thier pricing then.
May 7, 2004 3:59:20 AM

Think about it. INTEL selling plenty of CPUs. Record profits. Now add a falling dollar, skyrocketing raw materials cost, and rising overseas labor costs. Looking for a decrease? Based on what?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
May 7, 2004 4:12:01 AM

Re: Looking for a decrease? Based on what?

Competition maybe.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
May 7, 2004 7:02:08 AM

Wrong thou art! I'm seeing prices drop on the A64-3000 like a rock. I'm not seeing decreases on the P4-2.8 or above like that. I have to buy an A64 here shortly, and I'm wondering, why are people getting rid of the the 3000"s? Hmmmm! Sorry, but my nephew is getting a 3200. I think that extra cache will mean something in the furure.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
May 7, 2004 7:14:40 AM

AMD been never able to affect intel profit with a large extent.

May 7, 2004 9:27:08 AM

In the period following Pentium 166 MMX and Pentium Pro, the pricing behavior had always been in a consistent pattern. When a new cpu/speed grade is introduced, this becomes the top-end and commands a price in the vicinity of 700 USD. This top-end price will be cut to almost half once a new cpu/speed grade is introduced to the market. In the process, the top-end ends up as a mainstream. The one that used to be in the mainstream is cut off the production line or pushed back to the budget line, most likely the former because there is a product line for the budget line.

We have yet to see a voluntary Intel price drop such that its price level approximates its equivalent AMD cpu, much more without being pushed by the introduction of a new cpu/speed grade. So, it is but logical that until a new cpu/speed grade is introduced there will be no price drop.
May 7, 2004 9:44:22 AM

These days Intel is dropping cores, not prices :) 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
May 7, 2004 6:03:23 PM

Wrong thou art!

Gimme a break. We are talking about MAYBE intel dropping prices do to competition in the near future. amd is releasing faster and faster chips intel is having big trouble with netburust on 90 nm. Nothing but paper launches and the under performing prescott.

I am not saying Intel will drop prices do to competition but they might, and it's pretty naive for a person to say they won't.

Re: I think that extra cache will mean something in the future.

What, more than it means today? I don't quite see your logic.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
May 7, 2004 6:05:47 PM

Re: AMD been never able to affect intel profit with a large extent.

Does that mean it will always be that way? Just look at ati nvidia if you need an example of how things can change.

May 7, 2004 6:21:42 PM

Re: We have yet to see a voluntary Intel price drop such that its price level approximates its equivalent AMD cpu, much more without being pushed by the introduction of a new cpu/speed grade. So, it is but logical that until a new cpu/speed grade is introduced there will be no price drop.

I am not saying intel will drop prices. But things are different then the 166mx 200pro days. Mostly competition very stong on a performance level... back in the days you were talking about intel was clearly king and could charge whatever they want. what was the competition the k5 chip? Just because there has been a pattern does not mean things cannot change. I'll agree the original athlon took the performance crown away from intel and prices were not affected much. But this time intel appears in trouble they need SOI and netburst is proving to be very problematic. So scrap netburst and work on the p3 design they still could benefit greatly with SOI.

I think if amd keeps releasing faster chips and intel is still stuck moving a head it is likely intel prices would drop. And maybe release a couple more phantom chips with extremely high prices attached.

May 8, 2004 4:54:53 AM

Quote:
These days Intel is dropping cores, not prices

LOL, that was a good one.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
May 9, 2004 12:19:17 PM

intel is about to drop prices in early June, a bit after anouncing the new LGA775 socket and the new 3.6GHz P4 Prescott.
May 9, 2004 12:43:56 PM

ATI was much bigger 10 year compare to Nvidia.ATI is a major playe while AMD never been.Direct intel competitor is texas instrument not AMD.

Intel might start a price war with lower end P4 to cut the leg of AMD at a finicial level leaving not much money for buying equipement for 65NM.

May 9, 2004 3:22:06 PM

lol you have no faith in amd at all. you also have no idea what really is going on, just like the rest of us.
May 10, 2004 6:17:03 AM

Re: ATI was much bigger 10 year compare to Nvidia.ATI is a major playe while AMD never been.Direct intel competitor is texas instrument not AMD.

And that means what? exactly.

Re: Intel might start a price war with lower end P4 to cut the leg of AMD at a finicial level leaving not much money for buying equipement for 65NM.

Maybe AMD will start a war in the highend server market? There is no reason for server chips to be priced as high as they are. As far as I am concerned intel could cut the price a p4 celeron to a 1/3 of it's price and I'd still refuse it cause it's garbage. So let the price war begin.

!