Cursor mysteriously moves all by itself

Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
horizontally ..all by itself?
I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
remote user incursion?
Thanks in advance
15 answers Last reply
More about cursor mysteriously moves itself

    If it's one of the new ones, no mouse ball, but a red beam of light, and it
    is NOT sitting on a mouse pad, that will sometimes happen. Apparently the
    beam bouncing off the shine of the surface confuses it. Put it on a black
    mouse pad and see if it stops. If not, then start looking for a virus
    perhaps.

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?
    > Thanks in advance

    Make sure you do not have a microphone enabled.

    Download and install the latest drivers for your video card and mouse.
    If the problem is not corrected, then:

    Replace your mouse with a new one. If that does not solve the problem,
    replace your video card with a new one.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "MattW" wrote:

    | Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    | I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    | mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    | horizontally ..all by itself?
    | I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    | remote user incursion?
    | Thanks in advance

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:13:42 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, MattW favored us with...
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?

    Perhaps, but probably not if you're seeing no other symptoms.

    I used to have this problem, and the following worked for me (which
    is why it's on my Web site):

    http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/winxptip.htm#MiscWandering

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    I doubt it's anything more than spurious signals on the mouse, I've had
    optical and ball type mice (mouses?) that do it and found nothing of
    consequence. Yes it "Could" just possibly be someone or something else but
    these days they concentrate more on your not finding out than on worrying
    you with mouse movements.

    If however the mouse is in your hand when this happens consider the
    possibility of government "Mind Control" rays and visit this site for
    details of how to combat it...

    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

    (And yes by the way, I am joking and hope you have a sense of humor, it's
    not intended as an insult to your perfectly legitimate question, just a bit
    of amusement).

    Oh I forgot to mention that making sure your sound input is turned off just
    might be a valid point, someone else mentioned it. I have seen all kinds of
    spurious electronic signals induced in all kinds of different cables over
    the years, including police radios being picked up by public address
    systems, radio station coming in on computer speakers with a poor connection
    on the audio jack plugs and lots of things caused by a poor ground
    connection on your main electric supply, especially if it's also connected
    to a phone line and or cable TV... to find such odd behaviour is difficult
    because for one of theose phenomena the mouse cable and connector is
    probably the last place to look :)

    Even ball mice have optic in them, could just be a stray hair picked up
    inside that's bending with humidity changes.

    Have a good day,

    Charlie

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?
    > Thanks in advance

    Optical mouse? If so, clean the mouse pad and the mouse sensor.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:NaqdnRQHKuddr7HeRVn-vQ@rogers.com...
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?
    > Thanks in advance

    not optical mouse...
    "Daniel Martín" <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote in message
    Optical mouse? If so, clean the mouse pad and the mouse sensor.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?
    > Thanks in advance

    Any third-party drivers installed for that mouse? Does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:k42dnXBkW44ipLHeRVn-iQ@rogers.com...
    > not optical mouse...
    > "Daniel Martín" <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote in message
    > Optical mouse? If so, clean the mouse pad and the mouse sensor.
    >
    > --
    > Greetings,
    > Daniel Martín
    >

    > "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    >> I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    >> mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    >> horizontally ..all by itself?
    >> I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    >> remote user incursion?
    >> Thanks in advance

    not sure.
    only use safe mode in emergencies...
    Any third-party drivers installed for that mouse? Does the problem occur in
    Safe Mode?

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > not optical mouse...
    > "Daniel Martín" <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote in message
    > Optical mouse? If so, clean the mouse pad and the mouse sensor.
    >
    > --
    > Greetings,
    > Daniel Martín
    >

    > "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    >> I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    >> mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    >> horizontally ..all by itself?
    >> I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    >> remote user incursion?
    >> Thanks in advance

    On Saturday 17 September 2005 09:07 am, Carey Frisch [MVP] had this to say
    in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Make sure you do not have a microphone enabled.
    >
    > Download and install the latest drivers for your video card and mouse.
    > If the problem is not corrected, then:
    >
    > Replace your mouse with a new one. If that does not solve the problem,
    > replace your video card with a new one.

    And when you've reached the point of getting tired of spending your hard
    earned money as Mr. Frisch so easily suggests you do, look at using a real
    operating system. I do and never experienced something like a mouse pointer
    moving by itself. You're not sitting in the middle of an active earthquake
    zone are you? If not, I can only assume it's part of the wonderful Windows
    eXPerience, because I've never heard of anyone outside the Windows world
    complain about this type of problem.

    --
    Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run E17

    "-rwxrw-r--" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    > On Saturday 17 September 2005 09:07 am, Carey Frisch [MVP] had this to
    > say
    > in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    >> Make sure you do not have a microphone enabled.
    >>
    >> Download and install the latest drivers for your video card and mouse.
    >> If the problem is not corrected, then:
    >>
    >> Replace your mouse with a new one. If that does not solve the problem,
    >> replace your video card with a new one.
    >>

    > And when you've reached the point of getting tired of spending your hard
    > earned money as Mr. Frisch so easily suggests you do, look at using a real
    > operating system. I do and never experienced something like a mouse
    > pointer
    > moving by itself. You're not sitting in the middle of an active earthquake
    > zone are you? If not, I can only assume it's part of the wonderful Windows
    > eXPerience, because I've never heard of anyone outside the Windows world
    > complain about this type of problem.

    then you haven't run most of the Linux distros available for Free download!
    Oh, I've located and downloaded the ISO you reference for ELive. Will burn
    and try that dvd today. I have a LOT of experience of trying and failing to
    get the odd or even common hardware drivers to work in dozens of distros of
    Linux. I started with Slackware 1.0 many years ago and have been at it with
    both Windows and Linux ever since. Now I'm going to level with you: you're
    coming off as a FanBoi and some number appear to have killfiled you already.
    You haven't been completely honest with your representation of Linux.
    Here's another thing: You CAN download a "free" version of every major
    vendors distribution of Linux. However, it will NOT be the full stable
    package. If you want that then you'll spend almost as much for it as you do
    XP Professional retail. Those vendors have to make a living too, right? No
    problem with that. Be adventurous, get the free download and figure it out
    for yourself! OR, spend the dosh and let their "retail equivalent" take the
    hassle out of it for you.
    Or just buy XP Professional retail :)

    McG.

    > --
    > Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    > Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run E17
    > http://www.elivecd.org/gb/About/index.html

    I have seen this happen from RF overload. I personnaly have experienced it
    with a bluetooth headset placed on my desk. My daughter has experienced it
    living next to a FM radio transmitter. Can't say I have a fix as it was
    never annoying enough to spend the effort.

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have noticed an odd little occurrence of late.
    > I am sitting reading something on the net, my hands are not touching the
    > mouse or the keyboard...and suddenly the cursor/arrow starts moving
    > horizontally ..all by itself?
    > I have remote access turned off but wonder if this indicates a possible
    > remote user incursion?
    > Thanks in advance

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:35:37 GMT in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, McGrandpa favored us with...
    > You CAN download a "free" version of every major
    > vendors distribution of Linux. However, it will NOT be the full stable
    > package.

    If by "not the full package" you mean that the purchased material may
    have additional utilities beyond the free download, that's possible.

    But if you mean the free downloads are crippled, I challenge you to
    prove it. And by throwing in that loaded word "stable" you give the
    impression that the downloads are of lower quality than the purchased
    packages; again, I challenge you to prove it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:35:37 GMT in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, McGrandpa favored us with...
    > I have a LOT of experience of trying and failing to
    > get the odd or even common hardware drivers to work in dozens of distros of
    > Linux.

    Well, only you know your experience; but this "dozens of distros"
    business is awfully hard to swallow. These days even Ethernet cards
    and wireless cards seem to be supported by distros like Knoppix and
    Fedora right out of the box.

    The only major unsupported class of devices I know is Winmodems, nd
    even there some progress has been made.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    Boys boys boys!!!.........
    This thread's subject is about my mysterious mouse movements on the
    "windowsxp.general" newgroup.
    It is NOT about your pointless windows vs linux flame war that doesn't solve
    the problem in the subject header

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:35:37 GMT in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, McGrandpa favored us with...
    > > I have a LOT of experience of trying and failing to
    > > get the odd or even common hardware drivers to work in dozens of distros
    of
    > > Linux.
    >
    > Well, only you know your experience; but this "dozens of distros"
    > business is awfully hard to swallow. These days even Ethernet cards
    > and wireless cards seem to be supported by distros like Knoppix and
    > Fedora right out of the box.
    >
    > The only major unsupported class of devices I know is Winmodems, nd
    > even there some progress has been made.

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    > variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    > evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    > where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    > --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    Try Mouse properties and Uncheck "Enhance pointer precision" under
    Pointer Options.

    MattW wrote:

    > Boys boys boys!!!.........
    > This thread's subject is about my mysterious mouse movements on the
    > "windowsxp.general" newgroup.
    > It is NOT about your pointless windows vs linux flame war that doesn't solve
    > the problem in the subject header
    >
    > "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:35:37 GMT in
    >>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, McGrandpa favored us with...
    >>
    >>> I have a LOT of experience of trying and failing to
    >>>get the odd or even common hardware drivers to work in dozens of distros
    >
    > of
    >
    >>>Linux.
    >>
    >>Well, only you know your experience; but this "dozens of distros"
    >>business is awfully hard to swallow. These days even Ethernet cards
    >>and wireless cards seem to be supported by distros like Knoppix and
    >>Fedora right out of the box.
    >>
    >>The only major unsupported class of devices I know is Winmodems, nd
    >>even there some progress has been made.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    >> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    >>"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    >>variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    >>evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    >>where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    >> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Cursor Remote Access Microsoft Windows XP