TEC: Gottlieb System 3 Freddy Constantly Reboots

I got a Freddy that is supposed to be working 100%. When I turn it on, it
constantly beeps and reboots.

Based on previous posts, I adjusted the voltage to 5.22 and it worked. I
played it for several games then turned it off.

Every time I turn it back on it contsntly resets. I adjust the voltage and
it works. Is this something easily to fix myself or something to be sent out
to a board repair shop? Hopefully I can fix it without sending it out (and
hopefully not spending too much more.)

Thanks
Michael

Did you check for AC ripple on the +5 output? There has been a lot of
discussion about the "123" chip slowing down due to age. Several times
I have discovered a flakey pot or oscilating +5 instead. Looks pretty
good with a low quality DMM, but with a good quality one you see the
bar graph moving.

Mario
Pinthetic

Stuck slam tilt switch??

--
Fred
TX

Michael Belofsky wrote:
> I got a Freddy that is supposed to be working 100%. When I turn it on, it
> constantly beeps and reboots.
>
> Based on previous posts, I adjusted the voltage to 5.22 and it worked. I
> played it for several games then turned it off.
>
> Every time I turn it back on it contsntly resets. I adjust the voltage and
> it works. Is this something easily to fix myself or something to be sent out
> to a board repair shop? Hopefully I can fix it without sending it out (and
> hopefully not spending too much more.)
>
> Thanks
> Michael

What is the voltage reading before you adjust it? Has it been
consistently low and you have to raise it? How many times have you
adjusted it?

Brian Ray

There has been a lot of
discussion about the "123" chip slowing down due to age

This is more likely the problem.

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you check for AC ripple on the +5 output? There has been a lot of
> discussion about the "123" chip slowing down due to age. Several times
> I have discovered a flakey pot or oscilating +5 instead. Looks pretty
> good with a low quality DMM, but with a good quality one you see the
> bar graph moving.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Thanks for the info.

The slam switch is not stuck.

I turned on the machine just now. It was showing about 5.2 VDC. I slightly
moved the voltage down to 4.9 then up to 5.3. It did not reboot. Yesterday
it did and I am afraid that I could have or will screw it up more than I
should.

I do not have the manual yet (ordered yesterday from PBR). I am not sure
what the 123 chip is or where it is.

Someone told me that my battery could be dead. But yesterday when I changed
the number of balls from 3 to 5 it seemed to remember that between getting
the machine back working.

I tested the voltage on the battery from ground to the battery. It reads
3.31 VDC. I am not sure if this is a useful measurement. Should I try to
replace the battery? What should the voltage read?

Someone else told me that I should get a different cable to the power supply
that will boost up the power.

Does any of this make sense to do?

I hope replacing the 123 chip is something I can do without sending it out
to a board repair shop?

Thanks
Michael

Michael Belofsky wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> The slam switch is not stuck.
>
> I turned on the machine just now. It was showing about 5.2 VDC. I slightly
> moved the voltage down to 4.9 then up to 5.3. It did not reboot. Yesterday
> it did and I am afraid that I could have or will screw it up more than I
> should.
>
> I do not have the manual yet (ordered yesterday from PBR). I am not sure
> what the 123 chip is or where it is.
>
> Someone told me that my battery could be dead. But yesterday when I changed
> the number of balls from 3 to 5 it seemed to remember that between getting
> the machine back working.
>
> I tested the voltage on the battery from ground to the battery. It reads
> 3.31 VDC. I am not sure if this is a useful measurement. Should I try to
> replace the battery? What should the voltage read?
>
> Someone else told me that I should get a different cable to the power supply
> that will boost up the power.
>
> Does any of this make sense to do?
>
> I hope replacing the 123 chip is something I can do without sending it out
> to a board repair shop?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

The "123" chip is a 74HC123 and is located on the control board at U11.
That may be the problem or it could be running on an old revision of
software and may just need to be updated with the current rom revision.

Brian Ray

Brian:
Why would an old version of software make a difference. Wouldn't it have
always run with the software and the hardware has not been updated? (Asking
as a software developer.)

It looks like the chip is 45 cents at GPE. Hopefully it can be that simple?

I assume there are people on the board that could burn new software chips
for the game? Do you know about how much and from whom? Or if you or anyone
else can provide this service it is probably worth having anyway.

Thanks
Michael

"Flyinwalenda" <flyinwalenda@NOSPAMfreeplayentertainment.com> wrote in
message news:4303c1af$0$83690$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> Michael Belofsky wrote:
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> The slam switch is not stuck.
>>
>> I turned on the machine just now. It was showing about 5.2 VDC. I
>> slightly moved the voltage down to 4.9 then up to 5.3. It did not reboot.
>> Yesterday it did and I am afraid that I could have or will screw it up
>> more than I should.
>>
>> I do not have the manual yet (ordered yesterday from PBR). I am not sure
>> what the 123 chip is or where it is.
>>
>> Someone told me that my battery could be dead. But yesterday when I
>> changed the number of balls from 3 to 5 it seemed to remember that
>> between getting the machine back working.
>>
>> I tested the voltage on the battery from ground to the battery. It reads
>> 3.31 VDC. I am not sure if this is a useful measurement. Should I try to
>> replace the battery? What should the voltage read?
>>
>> Someone else told me that I should get a different cable to the power
>> supply that will boost up the power.
>>
>> Does any of this make sense to do?
>>
>> I hope replacing the 123 chip is something I can do without sending it
>> out to a board repair shop?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Michael
>
> The "123" chip is a 74HC123 and is located on the control board at U11.
> That may be the problem or it could be running on an old revision of
> software and may just need to be updated with the current rom revision.
>
> Brian Ray

The U11 swap will be less expensive than replacing the ROM's providing
you can do the work yourself. Get the chip(or two) and a few sockets.
Practice desoldering and soldering on a junk board first if you've never
done this before. You also need the correct soldering equipment.
If the chip doesn't fix it then new software should. From what I know
Gottlieb was aware of the problem with programming/U11 resets and fixed
it in later revisions.
PBR has the ROM images but someone here may have them saved as well. I
don't have them for Freddy.

Brian Ray

Michael Belofsky wrote:

> Brian:
> Why would an old version of software make a difference. Wouldn't it have
> always run with the software and the hardware has not been updated? (Asking
> as a software developer.)
>
> It looks like the chip is 45 cents at GPE. Hopefully it can be that simple?
>
> I assume there are people on the board that could burn new software chips
> for the game? Do you know about how much and from whom? Or if you or anyone
> else can provide this service it is probably worth having anyway.
>
> Thanks
> Michael
>
> "Flyinwalenda" <flyinwalenda@NOSPAMfreeplayentertainment.com> wrote in
> message news:4303c1af$0$83690$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
>
>>Michael Belofsky wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>>The slam switch is not stuck.
>>>
>>>I turned on the machine just now. It was showing about 5.2 VDC. I
>>>slightly moved the voltage down to 4.9 then up to 5.3. It did not reboot.
>>>Yesterday it did and I am afraid that I could have or will screw it up
>>>more than I should.
>>>
>>>I do not have the manual yet (ordered yesterday from PBR). I am not sure
>>>what the 123 chip is or where it is.
>>>
>>>Someone told me that my battery could be dead. But yesterday when I
>>>changed the number of balls from 3 to 5 it seemed to remember that
>>>between getting the machine back working.
>>>
>>>I tested the voltage on the battery from ground to the battery. It reads
>>>3.31 VDC. I am not sure if this is a useful measurement. Should I try to
>>>replace the battery? What should the voltage read?
>>>
>>>Someone else told me that I should get a different cable to the power
>>>supply that will boost up the power.
>>>
>>>Does any of this make sense to do?
>>>
>>>I hope replacing the 123 chip is something I can do without sending it
>>>out to a board repair shop?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Michael
>>
>>The "123" chip is a 74HC123 and is located on the control board at U11.
>>That may be the problem or it could be running on an old revision of
>>software and may just need to be updated with the current rom revision.
>>
>>Brian Ray

Brian:
Thanks! I will order the chips. I have removed and replaced chips (and added
sockets) on boards. I will try this first then go for the ROM images.

message news:4303cc65$0$83690$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...