Flashing BIOS firmware update has lost W7 boot record

Pappy12

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi folks, hope someone can help as I'm at my wits end with this!

Short background is that I wanted to install more RAM, but Supermicro support told me I needed to update BIOS (flash it) to enable it to accept higher RAM.

After I did this, the BIOS seems to have lost the record that boots my Windows 7 installation. After going through the checks, it just comes up with "Operating System not found."

So I thought that, since I have two SATA drives, I could try installing Windows on my redundant disk to see if that might generate a dual boot menu.

I was able to successfully install a fresh copy of Windows on the 2nd disk, but it will only boot into that one. It seems my system has completely forgotten about my other, working, installation.

Is there a process for recovering the boot information and setting it up such that I can go back to using my other installation?

Thank you.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
All that has happend is since the update of the bios, it has set its self back to its factory defaults, so the setting for the hard drive type are wrong.
All you need to do is change the mode in the bios back to what it was.
Ahci mode or Sata mode, save the settings on exit.
If you had both the drives in a Raid array, then you would have to re enable raid mode.

Pappy12

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks for the response.
I have managed to get it working again after quite a bit of messing around, but it wasn't what you said. No settings in the BIOS resolved this issue.

I had to install Windows on a secondary SATA disk, then swap the SATA hierarchy in the BIOS and then force a Windows Repair using the installation Disk. Windows repair utility then recognised there were other installations on other SATA discs and offered to repair the boot menu and restart. It then offered me a boot menu with all the Windows installations.

Solved, but took 14 hours of time. Must be an unusual problem.