Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hi guys
First, I must say that i'm not trying to start a flame war or tryint to criticise..
Just wondering, which one is having more problems? with the computers that you guys deal with? from installation to usage?
I didn't have much problems with both, now I'm building a computer for a friend, we decided to to build an AMD XP, due ot its Performance Price ratio, but then one of his friend (who is working in a computer store) told him that they had plenty of problems with amd systems,but not Intels, so he suggests my friend to build an Intel system..now my friend is hesitating
what do u think?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Both AMD and Intel are reliable and fast as long as you pair them with decent MB/RAM.

Often, people run into problems with their AMD/Intel system because they buy crappy MB or RAM. Or because they don't update chipset drivers.

And the major problem with AMD system, is that most computer store are used to build Intel PC, so they easily support/troubleshoot these systems. Because they work everyday with them... I remember that a support technician told me once to not buy AMD because they didn't not had them in stock and he didn't wanted to "learn" new MB/Chipset... Do I need to tell you, that I never bought anything from this PC store!

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
AMD and Intel both has high quality CPU's, they're both great, but depending on what you're doing, AMD's are great for games, especially the Athlon64 lineup, Intel on the other hand has the multimedia products, audio, video, editing, Intel's faster.

As for problems, I'm an employee for a computer reseller, the only problem i've had is with Intel's hyperthreading series, it seems like some games/apps, although very few, I don't even remember them, dislikes HT, and requires disabling of HT. Other than that, not really any problem, the problem i really have is picking the right motherboard actually so. Picking the right mobo/ram combo can be a little tricky, for example never buy a shuttle mobo with samsung ram, because the samsung ram gurantees to die within 6 months.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How could that be possible if you don't over-volt it? That sounds like an old wives tale to me. You know the easiest way to get a Jewish girl into bed? Throw some quarters on the sheets.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

endyen

Splendid
What the guy in the computer store ment was that he knows how to work on some Intel boards, but was afraid he would not be able to figure out Amd boards.
It's always easier to sell what you know, than to learn something new.

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
So a lot of shops tell me to go Intel, for all sort of resons. Do I listen to them? no I don't. it's always my decision and when I build a PC I often buy different components from different shops.

There is no need to hesitate. if he wanted an AMD, then he should have an AMD, and they're cheaper also.

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
i´ve heard alot of computer stores telling lots of BS "info".

AMD 2500+ @ 3200+ - Volcano 9 - A7N8X/DLX - Corsair XMS TWINX 3200LL 1024MB - GF 3 TI-200 - 2x WD Raptor RAID 0 - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120Gb 7200rpm Special Edition - Hiper 420w.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both Intel and AMD have great CPU. I use to have a lot problem with AMD system due to the inferior chipset(I have a lot component on my PCI bus). Now chipset for AMD is getting better and I did not have problem with AMD anymore.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
If he wants to game and save a buck or two build an XP model CPU system.

If he wants to run a rock band build Intel. Besides I have done lots of video editing on many computers over the years as well as sound manipulation and in most cases the CPU is a dog-[-peep-] in the background for either Intel or AMD. The quality of the sound equipment you plug into the damn computer always is the real test of editing not how fast the CPU can blow C minor through its registry.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Besides I always use a small PCI card to jump-out to my audio devices and I almost always use External sound racks and sound cards that have their own internal CPU's. All the PCI card does is transfer the data back and forth with he OS so you can see it in a windowed format. In most cases the external sound racks take all or 90% of the work load off the CPU in the computer.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

hawyy

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
I will select amd because i think its performance price ratio is higher than intel.but you should get a nice fan to take off the heat from cpu.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Cybercraig, 4 words, Shut The F*ck Up! Shuttle MN31N with Samsung PC3200 ram, we've had 124 of those combos we've sold returned within a year. Tell me why the F*ck are the ram chips always melted? Did every single customer overclock? I really don't think so.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Wusy don't insult comp resellers, not all of us are retarded:)

If you go to any of the major retailers, and you talk to the sales team, you're most likely to get very very sh*tty opinions from them, since they're retarded, since all they care about is their comission.

dhlucke

Polypheme
You know the easiest way to get a Jewish girl into bed? Throw some quarters on the sheets.

Why did you post this? Is that supposed to be funny?

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

G

I think intel is better than amd is becuz my cuzins have all new laptop and i have intel core2 centrino and they have amd athon 64 and there hae a good start upbut when it come to muilti tasking it take 5 mins to load some thing and my processer takes a sec and my laptop is 1 years old and it still runs better

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I think intel is better than amd is becuz my cuzins have all new laptop and i have intel core2 centrino and they have amd athon 64 and there hae a good start upbut when it come to muilti tasking it take 5 mins to load some thing and my processer takes a sec and my laptop is 1 years old and it still runs better

Oh Troll, our troll: How doth we count your ways?

#1: Unoriginal name.
#2: First post ever.
#3: No upper case chacters or punctuation in entire post. (Okay he did "I".)
#4: Mentions multi-tasking but doesn't say what application or suite. (For example: Office starts up a lot faster if you have the office quick-start application launched and in memory at startup. And the other machine would seem to boot MUCH faster. But a troll wouldn't know that. Or care.)
#5: Doesn't mention what speeds the laptops run at. (I.e., a 3 year old premium laptop would still very possibly be faster than a brand new budget laptop.)
#6: And perhaps he's running XP with 2Gb and his friend has Vista and 512Mb. (This would make him eminently more qualified to write for some of the review sites.)

Oh trollie troll troll, tootsie troll, our heart doth beat faster because of your tripe. Or not.