DVD problem

Would someone please help me with a solution.

I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
you may need to upgrade the firmware.

So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.

I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
possibly without help.

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Will it recognize and play a DVD movie?

    "SMF" <smf114@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >
    > I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    > bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    > reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    > you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >
    > So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    > able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    > memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >
    > I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    > memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    > possibly without help.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
    the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
    upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.

    Joan

    SMF wrote:

    > Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >
    > I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    > bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    > reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    > you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >
    > So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    > able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    > memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >
    > I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    > memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    > possibly without help.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Sorry "it does now with no problems"

    Joan Hansen wrote:

    > I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
    > the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
    > upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
    >
    > Joan
    >
    > SMF wrote:
    >
    >> Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >>
    >> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    >> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    >> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    >> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >>
    >> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    >> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    >> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >>
    >> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    >> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    >> possibly without help.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    It seemed to recognize a star wars dvd but won't recognize any copies
    I've make of anything. What do you think is wrong?

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:35:43 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Will it recognize and play a DVD movie?
    >
    >"SMF" <smf114@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >>
    >> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    >> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    >> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    >> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >>
    >> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    >> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    >> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >>
    >> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    >> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    >> possibly without help.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    It sounds like it works for you. Do you remember where you got the
    firmware upgrade from? I think I got mine through the dell site. Did
    it start to accept the memorex disks then?

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:39:51 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

    >I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
    >the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
    >upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
    >
    >Joan
    >
    >SMF wrote:
    >
    >> Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >>
    >> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    >> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    >> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    >> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >>
    >> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    >> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    >> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >>
    >> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    >> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    >> possibly without help.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Yes I got it from the Dell site. Yes, it did accept the memorex disks.
    It accepts both the CD R and the CD R/W disks. I use the DVD +R
    Fujifilm disks and also DVD +R Verbatim. I also use Roxio's Easy
    Creator 7 with no problems. My PC is a Dimension 8300 3.0. Maybe your
    burner software is giving you problems.

    SMF wrote:
    > It sounds like it works for you. Do you remember where you got the
    > firmware upgrade from? I think I got mine through the dell site. Did
    > it start to accept the memorex disks then?
    >
    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:39:51 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
    >>the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
    >>upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
    >>
    >>Joan
    >>
    >>SMF wrote:
    >>

    >>>Would someone please help me with a solution.
    >>>
    >>>I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    >>>bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    >>>reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    >>>you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    >>>
    >>>So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    >>>able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    >>>memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    >>>
    >>>I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    >>>memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    >>>possibly without help.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!

    Are you using -R or +R. Try another brand media (DVD+R).

    > Will it recognize and play a DVD movie?
    >
    > "SMF" <smf114@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > Would someone please help me with a solution.
    > >
    > > I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
    > > bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
    > > reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
    > > you may need to upgrade the firmware.
    > >
    > > So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
    > > able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
    > > memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
    > >
    > > I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
    > > memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
    > > possibly without help.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

Dell Computers