Would someone please help me with a solution.

I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
you may need to upgrade the firmware.

So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.

I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
possibly without help.

Thanks!

Will it recognize and play a DVD movie?

"SMF" <smf114@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Would someone please help me with a solution.
>
> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>
> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>
> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
> possibly without help.
>
> Thanks!

I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.

Joan

SMF wrote:

> Would someone please help me with a solution.
>
> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>
> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>
> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
> possibly without help.
>
> Thanks!

Sorry "it does now with no problems"

Joan Hansen wrote:

> I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
> the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
> upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
>
> Joan
>
> SMF wrote:
>
>> Would someone please help me with a solution.
>>
>> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
>> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
>> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
>> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>>
>> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
>> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
>> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>>
>> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
>> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
>> possibly without help.
>>
>> Thanks!

It seemed to recognize a star wars dvd but won't recognize any copies
I've make of anything. What do you think is wrong?

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:35:43 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Will it recognize and play a DVD movie?
>
>"SMF" <smf114@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Would someone please help me with a solution.
>>
>> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
>> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
>> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
>> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>>
>> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
>> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
>> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>>
>> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
>> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
>> possibly without help.
>>
>> Thanks!

It sounds like it works for you. Do you remember where you got the
firmware upgrade from? I think I got mine through the dell site. Did
it start to accept the memorex disks then?

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:39:51 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

>I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
>the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
>upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
>
>Joan
>
>SMF wrote:
>
>> Would someone please help me with a solution.
>>
>> I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
>> bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
>> reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
>> you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>>
>> So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
>> able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
>> memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>>
>> I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
>> memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
>> possibly without help.
>>
>> Thanks!

Yes I got it from the Dell site. Yes, it did accept the memorex disks.
It accepts both the CD R and the CD R/W disks. I use the DVD +R
Fujifilm disks and also DVD +R Verbatim. I also use Roxio's Easy
Creator 7 with no problems. My PC is a Dimension 8300 3.0. Maybe your
burner software is giving you problems.

SMF wrote:
> It sounds like it works for you. Do you remember where you got the
> firmware upgrade from? I think I got mine through the dell site. Did
> it start to accept the memorex disks then?
>
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:39:51 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>

>>I have the same burner. It did not accept memorex disks. I installed
>>the firmware and it does not with no problems. Perhaps the firmware
>>upgrade did not install properly. My NEC has no problems.
>>
>>Joan
>>
>>SMF wrote:
>>

>>>Would someone please help me with a solution.
>>>
>>>I have a NEC DVD RW ND-1100A. It seemed to be working fine until I
>>>bought some memorex blanks. It was not able to read these for some
>>>reason and I recall there was a sheet that came with the disks saying
>>>you may need to upgrade the firmware.
>>>
>>>So I went to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Since then I am not
>>>able to view any of my DVD's and it still will not recognize the new
>>>memorex disks. It will however let me view basic cdroms.
>>>
>>>I'm starting to think I somehow damaged it by trying to play those
>>>memorex disks but value your opinion before I go get a new player
>>>possibly without help.
>>>
>>>Thanks!

Are you using -R or +R. Try another brand media (DVD+R).