Setting Up a System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Eventually, when I have the money, I would like to set myself up with a pair of good quality speakers. [strike]Cerwin Vegas. I was thinking something along the lines of these, so base your answers around them. [/strike]The budget would probably be around $2,000 - $2,500.

Alrighty, let's pretend I've got absolutely nothing. What speakers should I buy? What equipment would I have to buy to accompany the speakers? (They'll be hooked up to my PC via the soundcard, using either the optical (preferable) or standard analogue input.)

Solution
Go for Rotel orNad great companies and well worth the money. As far as speakers is concerned Vandersteen ,Klipshorn, or Monitor Audio. Good companies and good backing behind them as far as quality control and dynamics.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Cerwin Vega is junk and the sound is to bass heavy. There are much btter speakers out there for the money. Go to web sites like Audio Asylum, and Stereophile and start to read about what you are looking to buy.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Interesting... thanks for the heads-up. I just did a little bit more research on what you said, and everyone pretty much says the same thing.

What bundle of speakers and amp would you recommend for the $2,000 - $2,500 price range?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Go for Rotel orNad great companies and well worth the money. As far as speakers is concerned Vandersteen ,Klipshorn, or Monitor Audio. Good companies and good backing behind them as far as quality control and dynamics.

Solution

rianlynch

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I'd like to hear feedback from a lifetime of audio experience...as for myself, I invested in two rokkit 8" studio speakers as I enjoy hobbyist synthesizing/remixing, etc, and for that you want a speaker that best matches the actual spectrum of sound. For my part, I have found these speakers to be amazing for the price...without peer...I've had friends with 3k speaker set ups bitch me out b/c my two hold their own at a far lower price point. Honestly, though, my instance spans manhattan apt living space...where you'd probably lack the theater to enjoy your monitors.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I suggest you go to their websites to get more information. Rotel and Nad and Vandersteen and Monitor Audio. They have specific models and prices listed there.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I have, and each of their models in that price range look sufficient. Is there any particular pair you could personally vouch for? As in, a particular brand? I'm leading more to Vandersteen.

The only way to make sure that the speakers you get are right for you is to listen to them at a dealer. Hopefully they will have some other competing brands that will offer you a choice that might be more to your taste and perhaps suit your room situation better than another equally good but different speaker. Then choose the amplifier based on the efficiency and load that the speaker presents to the amp. Comparison listening here would be good to if possible. High end audio is more about choosing the flaws in the sound that are most suitable for the way you listen to music. Have fun.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
That's the problem though. Living in Australia there isn't a way I can comparatively listen to certain speakers. I'd have to ship them in and that's where other people's opinions come into it.

Let's pretend you've got $2,000 - $3,000 to spend on a pair of speakers, what would you buy?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You mean to tell me you have no audio shops where you live in Australia? This certainly very unusual indeed.

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I can buy anything, I just need to ship it in. Can't you tell me reliable speakers that fit my budget regardless? What you would buy if you had that money?

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Marv made some good recommendations on speakers, I would also add Paradigm to the mix.

What I would do in your situation is good to go a new/used stereo place(not some chain) and try some stuff out. Used wise you can get some great components. Also, rule of thumb is if you are going to spend 3000 on a system, 1.5 to 2/3 of that goes to the speakers.

For used stuff they have a great buy back program for trade in the components later on. At least in the USA used stereo stores.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Paradigm like the other person posted is good also. Wharfdale makes decent speakers and also B and W good sounding speakers.I would try to go for the Vandersteen speakers first.Good luck marv

Status
Not open for further replies.