P2K Glass from IPB

Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
million pieces. The ups man never even knocked on the door left it
outside. I only noticed it when i went out to leave and it was leaning
on the house. Poor packaging IMO one piece of card board inside and a
piece of bubble wrap and news paper in a 2" thick box no wood anything
to stop something from hitting the glass from the outside. I e-mailed
ipb with no response,,maybe i will get a e-mail now that it is out on
the groups.

I thought is was to good to be true and it was,So if you see something
for sale at a great price think twice before purchasing it,100 for
glass and 12.00 for shipping.

Brett in florida
27 answers Last reply
More about glass

    Hopefully you will get satisfaction from them, if not, hopefully you
    paid with a credit card and they will reverse the charges. It's not
    like it was your fault that it got broke!

    Hmm. Mine was shipped in the same packaging,
    and arrived in _one_ big piece. I haven't found
    a flaw in the glass if there is one, either. Very
    happy with mine. It was insured, so you're not really
    out anything unless you just sit on your hands.

    UPS probably owes you some money, no big deal.
    It's just too bad that the glass can't be replaced.
    :(

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    =============================

    In article <1124278969.183456.271860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    brtlkat@adelphia.net says...

    >Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    >million pieces. The ups man never even knocked on the door left it
    >outside.

    Would YOU knock on the door when you were delivering an obviously shattered
    piece of glass? The driver wanted to avoid your wrath!

    > I only noticed it when i went out to leave and it was leaning
    >on the house. Poor packaging IMO one piece of card board inside and a
    >piece of bubble wrap and news paper in a 2" thick box no wood anything
    >to stop something from hitting the glass from the outside.

    What do you expect for $12? Bubble-wrap is expensive! (Only kidding!!) That
    was obviously a VERY inadequate packing job for something so fragile.

    >I e-mailed
    >ipb with no response, maybe i will get a e-mail now that it is out on
    >the groups.

    Please let us know the outcome.

    >I thought is was to good to be true and it was,So if you see something
    >for sale at a great price think twice before purchasing it,100 for
    >glass and 12.00 for shipping.

    But they DID sell the glass and ship it for that price. "Too good to be true"
    is when someone rips you off and never sends the item. Because of their own
    stupidity, they will be out *two* pieces of glass when they replace it.

    >Brett in florida

    Best of luck!

    --Walter

    >Will UPS insure glass packed that way? I'd think they'd try to weasel out of
    >that claim pretty quickly

    History would agree with you. At that point I would put the pressure on
    IPB, but at least let UPS get a crack (HA!) at it first.

    Kirb

    They approved the packaging, knew what was
    inside and provided the insurance, so I'd
    hope so. It is packed rather well, all things
    considered. IMO.

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ===============================
    John Wart, jr wrote:
    > Will UPS insure glass packed that way? I'd think they'd try to weasel out of
    > that claim pretty quickly
    >
    > Sorry to hear your glass got ruined
    >
    > --
    > http://www.myhomegameroom.com
    >

    > "Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote

    > > Hmm. Mine was shipped in the same packaging,
    > > and arrived in _one_ big piece. I haven't found
    > > a flaw in the glass if there is one, either. Very
    > > happy with mine. It was insured, so you're not really
    > > out anything unless you just sit on your hands.
    > >
    > > UPS probably owes you some money, no big deal.
    > > It's just too bad that the glass can't be replaced.
    > > :(
    > >
    > > Fred

    What do you expect? Its ups! the worlds absolute worst delivery company
    !!!!!
    I still can't understand how they stay in bussiness? Its a wonder that
    you even got the package at all, usually it just gets lost.
    Don't blame ipb they could have packaged it in a 4 inch concrete
    sleeve and the sub human animals at ups would have figured out a way to
    destroy it, its their job
    Willy

    Fed -ex Ground is run in Ohio by a bunch of @$$ holes. They delivered
    my cell phones last christmas and it had snowed. We live in a
    cul-de-sac. The carnie driving the truck backed up the truck up when he
    went to leave on to my lawn. In doing this, he drove over the sewer
    grate and on to my lawn. The sewer grate cracked and he left huge ruts
    in my lawn. He also cracked the curb. The manager there @$$ hole Mike
    Bowling told me after 4 month of talking to him that it was to bad and
    they were not going to fix the property. I was out of luck. So I will
    never allow anything to be shipped to me by Fed ex. If a company uses
    fed ex only, well I have to buy from someone else or they have to make
    an exception and ship with someone else. I tured the property damage
    over to the city since it is their property (sewer grate) and have
    since filled in the lawn but what jerks. So just be careful with them
    and filing claims.

    BT

    My glass arrived shattered as well. I emailed Kim at IPB with my contact
    phone number and she got back to me in less than a day. She was very
    apologetic and said it was covered by UPS insurance. She also said she
    would do what she could to get me a replacement. The quality of the
    packaging aside, I am not upset at how they are handling the situation at
    all.

    <brtlkat@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    > million pieces. The ups man never even knocked on the door left it
    > outside. I only noticed it when i went out to leave and it was leaning
    > on the house. Poor packaging IMO one piece of card board inside and a
    > piece of bubble wrap and news paper in a 2" thick box no wood anything
    > to stop something from hitting the glass from the outside. I e-mailed
    > ipb with no response,,maybe i will get a e-mail now that it is out on
    > the groups.
    >
    > I thought is was to good to be true and it was,So if you see something
    > for sale at a great price think twice before purchasing it,100 for
    > glass and 12.00 for shipping.
    >

    > Brett in florida

    most of you know i own a ups store. a very good one too.

    as with any carrier you must pack items according to their guidelines.
    based on what i read here its an absolute joke its packed that way. its
    all on ipb. ups likely wont pay the claim. if you were ups would you
    pay it based on that packing? not if you want to stay in business.

    shipping glass REQUIRES 2 inches of packing on EACH side (front and
    back) in a double wall box. if youre using a single wall box then its 4
    inches. ups is no different than usps, dhl or fedex ground.

    i run a high volume store, so i do deal with claims more than any of
    you. and ive never had a single claim denied where it was packed
    sufficiently. there are even times they approve a claim and i scratch
    my head when i see the packing it was in. you should see some of the
    horrible pack jobs that come in our store. we even warn the customers
    before they ship it that the packing is suspect and a claim likely
    wouldnt get paid. they ship it off anyways. sometimes they get lucky
    and nothing happens, sometimes they dont. but then they cry wolf.

    here are the online guidelines:

    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/prepare_package1.html

    In article <EaWdnZyWdMihsp7eRVn-2w@comcast.com>, John Wart, jr says...

    >Will UPS insure glass packed that way? I'd think they'd try to weasel out of
    >that claim pretty quickly

    Yes, UPS *can* claim poor packing and refuse to pay. And they probably will!
    But, that doesn't mean IPB shouldn't make things right. I would find it hard to
    believe that some of this glass wasn't put aside for possible future needs.

    --Warren

    strange - I've had very good luck with FedEx Ground. Are they
    subcontractors or all fedex ground employees? They certainly have the
    best rates to ship playfields, etc.

    I got mine last week, haven't opened it yet but it's definitly still in
    one piece. The packaging seems adequate from the outside - next step
    up would be a wooden crate. I'll crack it open and make sure it's not
    broken, but it passes the shake test right now :)

    On 17 Aug 2005 04:42:49 -0700, brtlkat@adelphia.net wrote:

    >Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    >million pieces.

    Mine arrived and there were no rattles so I didn't open it since it's
    a spare. I guess i should check it.

    Mine appears to have made it fine. One big piece.

    I have never had any of the major carriers lose anything.

    They all break neon lights when they ship them.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:11:26 -0700, Kenbo <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com>
    wrote:

    >On 17 Aug 2005 04:42:49 -0700, brtlkat@adelphia.net wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    >>million pieces.
    >
    >Mine arrived and there were no rattles so I didn't open it since it's
    >a spare. I guess i should check it.

    Yep, it arrived in one piece. The box had an impact hole in one side
    but no damage done to the glass.

    Perhaps if it were taken to a customer counter, and the shipment was
    purchased there, but I have a UPS account myself and can often drop
    packages off at the UPS store or the customer counter without UPS even
    looking at the packages when I drop them off.

    UPS insures every package for $100, and I've found you can insure
    something fairly well before they have to see or sign anything at the
    customer counter. I sent a laptop last year that was insured for around
    $1500, and I had to have the driver sign off that he picked it up.

    So, it's quite possible that UPS insured these without ever seeing them.
    I don't think they would accept glass packaged like this - maybe in a
    mirror/picture box, but not wrapped in bubble and newspaper with a
    cardboard cover.

    -

    Fred Kemper wrote:
    > They approved the packaging, knew what was
    > inside and provided the insurance, so I'd
    > hope so. It is packed rather well, all things
    > considered. IMO.
    >
    > Fred
    > TX
    > CARGPB#8
    > ===============================
    > John Wart, jr wrote:
    >
    >>Will UPS insure glass packed that way? I'd think they'd try to weasel out of
    >>that claim pretty quickly
    >>
    >>Sorry to hear your glass got ruined
    >>
    >>--
    >>http://www.myhomegameroom.com
    >>

    >>"Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote
    >

    >>>Hmm. Mine was shipped in the same packaging,
    >>>and arrived in _one_ big piece. I haven't found
    >>>a flaw in the glass if there is one, either. Very
    >>>happy with mine. It was insured, so you're not really
    >>>out anything unless you just sit on your hands.
    >>>
    >>>UPS probably owes you some money, no big deal.
    >>>It's just too bad that the glass can't be replaced.
    >>>:(
    >>>
    >>>Fred

    > Will UPS insure glass packed that way? I'd think they'd try to weasel out
    of
    > that claim pretty quickly

    Here is the 2 words I hear from UPS on a regular basis:

    "Insufficient Pack"

    They have refused many a claim from me here at work, and my stuff was
    sufficiently packed. I use an Instpack foam machine, (which works great),
    and they still told me "Insufficient Pack."

    They will always try to weasel out of a claim.

    One of their favorite things is this, If you re-pack something in a
    manufacturers box (like a monitor or a laptop) that already has pre-made
    packing material in it, they claim that box is only good for 1 shipment. In
    otherwords, if you have a laptop that goes bad, and you send it back to Dell
    in the original box, and it gets trashed, UPS can say "Insufficient pack",
    because the box was used once already, even if it was in perfect shape.

    It has happened to me more than once.

    From the description of the package the glass came in, I wouldnt be
    surprised if UPS doesnt pay up.

    my .02

    Skeets

    > What do you expect? Its ups! the worlds absolute worst delivery company
    > !!!!!
    > I still can't understand how they stay in bussiness? Its a wonder that
    > you even got the package at all, usually it just gets lost.

    I guess you havent dealt with the other companies much then. I deal with
    UPS, DHL, and Fed-ex ground (old RPS) on a daily basis. I have daily
    pick-ups here and drop offs every day from UPS and DHL, and Fed-ex ground
    delivers about twice a week. UPS is by far the best out of all of them.
    Fed-ex express is excellent, but that is a different from Fed-ex ground, and
    express usually doent handle large packages.

    > Don't blame ipb they could have packaged it in a 4 inch concrete
    > sleeve and the sub human animals at ups would have figured out a way to
    > destroy it, its their job

    This I agree with this around Christmas time. The Christmas help loves to
    smash everything. Around late november through decmber, you really dont want
    to ship anything heavy through UPS, I say you have a 50/50 chance of it
    getting trashed.

    Skeets

    Just got a e-mail from ipb and all is well, They are going to replace
    the glass and ups will pay for it because they said they shipped 60 of
    these ups and only 3 got broken, so it was not the packaging they say
    The box did have fragile on it with GLASS written on it in big letters,
    I had to be one of the three. I have my fingers crossed for the next
    one to arrive in one piece.

    Brett in florida

    Brett,
    IPB will replace the piece of glass.
    Having checked the tracking number it shows the glass was delivered on
    August 16 at 5:06 P.M.CST and you e-mailed IPB at 5:10 P.M. CST which
    would have been after we had closed. Unfortunately you posted at 6:42
    this morning which would be before we were open. You should have
    received an e-mail response which had nothing to do with this post on
    RGP.
    As for the packaging, out of 60 pieces shipped only three were broken.
    UPS has been notified an will be sending reimbursement checks to
    cover the glass. So imho the packaging stood up to the trip.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused the three of you.
    Kim

    Yep, you have to remember Fed-ex ground and Fed-ex express are 2 different
    entities. Mention Fed-ex ground to an Express driver and he will laugh and
    just drive away.

    In my book Fed-ex ground is at the bottom, with DHL a close second. I get 21
    inch monitors delivered here by Fed-ex ground. (AT&T account that refuses to
    use anyone else). When I hear the truck coming, I have to run to the door to
    meet him, because if I dont, he just opens the back of his truck, and ROLLS
    the monitors out onto the ground. He doesnt leave the back of his truck. He
    does this everytime. When you ask him not to do that, he pretends like he
    doesnt understand you and speaks a foreign language.

    My DHL guy is just as funny. I ship 26 cube boxes that can weigh 80 Lbs. My
    DHL guy is about 5 foot tall and weighs about 85 lbs. He cannot put the
    boxes in the truck, I have to do it for him. One day he asked to use my
    phone, and I overheard him yelling at the dispatcher because his pickup
    before mine had boxes that were too heavy, and noone would help him. So he
    didnt make the pickup and the people complained. Too funny.

    Skeets

    Unfortunately the mechanical conveyor belts systems all shippers use
    cannot read labels. So writing glass or fragile on it doesnt help in
    that respect. It will help when someone who actually handles it sees
    that. Then again it would likely need to say fragile on all 4 sides to
    make sure the person handling the piece sees it. Unless something is
    being shipped overnight, packages are handled by many people and many
    belt systems.

    Anything insured over $1000 is handled differently by the drivers. It
    is seperated from the rest of the parcels.

    I personally would be surprised if UPS cut a check for this
    insufficient packing.

    Here is my guess on Fedex Ground:

    http://company.monster.com/rpscen/

    I believe Fed Ex ground is a subsidiary and not owned by Fed Ex. If it were
    owned, I believe it would be designated a "wholly owned subsidiary".

    In other words, Fed Ex ground is one big subcontract operation.

    The trucks are owned by independent entities and the drivers are not Fed Ex
    employees.

    Just my guess.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "Skeets" <seventh_foo@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yep, you have to remember Fed-ex ground and Fed-ex express are 2 different
    > entities. Mention Fed-ex ground to an Express driver and he will laugh and
    > just drive away.
    >
    > In my book Fed-ex ground is at the bottom, with DHL a close second. I get
    > 21
    > inch monitors delivered here by Fed-ex ground. (AT&T account that refuses
    > use anyone else). When I hear the truck coming, I have to run to the door
    > meet him, because if I dont, he just opens the back of his truck, and
    > ROLLS
    > the monitors out onto the ground. He doesnt leave the back of his truck.
    > He
    > does this everytime. When you ask him not to do that, he pretends like he
    > doesnt understand you and speaks a foreign language.
    >
    > My DHL guy is just as funny. I ship 26 cube boxes that can weigh 80 Lbs.
    > My
    > DHL guy is about 5 foot tall and weighs about 85 lbs. He cannot put the
    > boxes in the truck, I have to do it for him. One day he asked to use my
    > phone, and I overheard him yelling at the dispatcher because his pickup
    > before mine had boxes that were too heavy, and noone would help him. So he
    > didnt make the pickup and the people complained. Too funny.
    >
    > Skeets

    They determined that it was not insufficient packaging that caused the
    damage and we have already taken care of the claim on one of the pieces
    of glass.
    These were actually the same type of box that WMS had used in the past.
    We added the a piece of cardboard on each side of the glass on the
    advice of our rep. They know it's glass when they pick it up and they
    know it's glass when our driver arrives at the hub so no one is being
    misled.
    We have shipped out glass for the last 41/2 years through UPS and had
    good results with very little breakage. This was an unfortunate
    accident and will be taken care.
    Again we apologize to those who have been inconvenieced and
    disappointed.:>(
    Kim

    Let me understand...just a question.

    Your glass (pieces) arrived yesterday...you e-mailed yesterday to IPB...

    Your post to the ng is 7:42am...

    And you are saying "no response" ??? How quickly would you expect
    someone to respond?

    Ok, so it was two questions. And they are rhetoric anyway.

    brtlkat@adelphia.net wrote:
    > Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    > million pieces. The ups man never even knocked on the door left it
    > outside. I only noticed it when i went out to leave and it was leaning
    > on the house. Poor packaging IMO one piece of card board inside and a
    > piece of bubble wrap and news paper in a 2" thick box no wood anything
    > to stop something from hitting the glass from the outside. I e-mailed
    > ipb with no response,,maybe i will get a e-mail now that it is out on
    > the groups.
    >
    > I thought is was to good to be true and it was,So if you see something
    > for sale at a great price think twice before purchasing it,100 for
    > glass and 12.00 for shipping.
    >

    > Brett in florida

    really.
    i think you need to give them a break.

    as butthead would say "simmer down beavis".
    By Kim's post, I would say she cares a great deal about the products they
    sell and customer satisfaction.

    and no, i've never bought anything from them but I would.

    Dan

    "Dave Mabry" <dmabry@mich.com> wrote in message
    > Let me understand...just a question.
    >
    > Your glass (pieces) arrived yesterday...you e-mailed yesterday to IPB...
    >
    > Your post to the ng is 7:42am...
    >
    > And you are saying "no response" ??? How quickly would you expect
    > someone to respond?
    >
    > Ok, so it was two questions. And they are rhetoric anyway.
    >

    > brtlkat@adelphia.net wrote:
    > > Anyone get there pf glass in one piece. Mine arrived yesterday in a
    > > million pieces. The ups man never even knocked on the door left it
    > > outside. I only noticed it when i went out to leave and it was leaning
    > > on the house. Poor packaging IMO one piece of card board inside and a
    > > piece of bubble wrap and news paper in a 2" thick box no wood anything
    > > to stop something from hitting the glass from the outside. I e-mailed
    > > ipb with no response,,maybe i will get a e-mail now that it is out on
    > > the groups.
    > >
    > > I thought is was to good to be true and it was,So if you see something
    > > for sale at a great price think twice before purchasing it,100 for
    > > glass and 12.00 for shipping.
    > >

    > > Brett in florida

Games Video Games Product