windows xp service pack 1

Is there any way to get a copy of service pack 1 OTHER than from
Microsoft?....

I bought my copy of XP Pro at a computer show and its license key is no
good...so
I can't install the version from MS....

Any help would be appreciated...

BD

Q: "Is there any way to get a copy of service pack 1 OTHER than from Microsoft?"

A: No. Sorry to hear you acquired an apparent bogus version of Windows XP.

Is your version of Windows XP genuine?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

Reporting Software Piracy:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx

If you are getting the following error message when attempting to update:

Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326904&Product=winxp

You'll have to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional
and perform a "Repair Install" using the new Windows XP Pro CD and Product Key
that comes with it. (You cannot simply change the Product Key)

Example of what you need:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

bigdawg wrote:

> I bought my copy of XP Pro at a computer show and its license key is no
> good...so
> I can't install the version from MS....

Time to buy a real MS CD. And in the future, dont buy MS ware from shows
or ebay.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thanks for the lecture...guess I need to go to a group where people actually
know how to help.

bigdawg wrote:
> Thanks for the lecture...guess I need to go to a group where people actually
> know how to help.

What's your gripe? You were stupid (and maybe greedy, too) and got
conned. That happens all the time - Google "famous quote P.T. Barnum"
if you still don't understand.

But the fact is, no one here cheated you, so why are you upset?

Next time, buy a legitimate copy from a reputable vendor.

Actually you got some excellent advice on how to save money. But there are
groups where people will teach you to cheat, and maybe even write a virus.

"bigdawg" <bigdawg@spammers_go_to_hell.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the lecture...guess I need to go to a group where people
> actually
> know how to help.
>

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>> bigdawg wrote:
>> >
>> > I bought my copy of XP Pro at a computer show and its license key is no
>> > good...so
>> > I can't install the version from MS....
>>
>> Time to buy a real MS CD. And in the future, dont buy MS ware from shows
>> or ebay.
>>

>> --
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/

"...its license key is no good"
You said it all right there.
Apparently you bought what someone did not have to sell.
Since you did not buy a legitimate license, the fix is to buy a legitimate
license.
There is no other SP-1 or SP-2 except from Microsoft.
Anyone who claims otherwise may have similar character flaws as the
dishonest person who sold you the invalid license.

Report the seller to Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx
And local law enforcement on the slight chance you can get your money back.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar