hacks to Places bar

does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts can be added ?

Places bar? Please explain.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
> does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts
> can be added ?

Places bar is on the left
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/03/CuttingEdge/fig01.gif

[[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
category in Tweak UI.]]

Use TweakUI, Edit the registry or use System Policy Editor. Or if MS
Office, scroll down.

Edit the Places bar locations in Open Save As common dialog boxes
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

How to Customize the Places Bar Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;205041

How to customize the My Places bar in the "Open" and "Save As" dialog boxes
in Office XP programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087

Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
http://www.petri.co.il/customize_the_places_bar_in_office_xp.htm

How to customize the My Places bar in both the Open and the Save As dialog
boxes in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826214

+++

TweakUI
[+] Common Dialogs
Places bar

Places bar
 Custom places bar

Places bar
[[This enables changing the location when a common dialog is opened. You can
use the default values or you can choose a custom location to open when a
common dialog box is opened.]]

Common Dialog Boxes
[[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
category in Tweak UI.]]

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
===

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

+++

[[First you add to
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\
the PlacesBar subkey. In PlacesBar, create the REG_DWORD values Place0,
Place1, Place2, Place3, and Place4. These correspond to the five available
buttons from top to bottom. The common dialog boxes will display only the
buttons specified by these values; if there is a PlacesBar subkey with no
values, an empty places bar will be displayed. Then set PlacesN to one of
the settings in shown in Table]]

Folders for the Places Bar
Folder Value
Desktop 0x00
Favorites 0x06
My Documents 0x05
My Music 0x0D
My Computer 0x11
Network Neighborhood 0x12
History 0x22
My Pictures 0x27
Recent Documents 0x08

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar
Place0
Place1
Place2
Place3
Place4

System Policy Editor and Templates
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa18.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OF1YUr%23uFHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Places bar? Please explain.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
>> does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts
>> can be added ?

Thanks Wesley. I generally just think of that as the common tasks dialogs,
and hadn't seen it referred to as the places bar- that and the fact that I
don't use that dialog, preferring to the more traditional folders view.

--

> [...]
> Place0
> Place1
> Place2
> Place3
> Place4
>
> System Policy Editor and Templates
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa18.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OF1YUr%23uFHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Places bar? Please explain.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
>>> does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5

Stixoffire

The question was how to get more than 5 Places on that Bar .. Does any one know of a Hack. I have seen a screen shot of one - but no info. How can it be done.