hacks to Places bar

does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts can be added ?
4 answers Last reply
More about hacks places

    Places bar? Please explain.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
    > does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts
    > can be added ?

    Places bar is on the left
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/03/CuttingEdge/fig01.gif

    [[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
    places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
    make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
    Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
    the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
    category in Tweak UI.]]

    Use TweakUI, Edit the registry or use System Policy Editor. Or if MS
    Office, scroll down.

    Edit the Places bar locations in Open Save As common dialog boxes
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

    How to Customize the Places Bar Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;205041

    How to customize the My Places bar in the "Open" and "Save As" dialog boxes
    in Office XP programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087

    Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
    http://www.petri.co.il/customize_the_places_bar_in_office_xp.htm

    How to customize the My Places bar in both the Open and the Save As dialog
    boxes in Office 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826214

    +++

    TweakUI
    [+] Common Dialogs
    Places bar

    Places bar
     Custom places bar

    Places bar
    [[This enables changing the location when a common dialog is opened. You can
    use the default values or you can choose a custom location to open when a
    common dialog box is opened.]]

    Common Dialog Boxes
    [[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
    places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
    make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
    Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
    the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
    category in Tweak UI.]]

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    +++

    [[First you add to
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\
    the PlacesBar subkey. In PlacesBar, create the REG_DWORD values Place0,
    Place1, Place2, Place3, and Place4. These correspond to the five available
    buttons from top to bottom. The common dialog boxes will display only the
    buttons specified by these values; if there is a PlacesBar subkey with no
    values, an empty places bar will be displayed. Then set PlacesN to one of
    the settings in shown in Table]]

    Folders for the Places Bar
    Folder Value
    Desktop 0x00
    Favorites 0x06
    My Documents 0x05
    My Music 0x0D
    My Computer 0x11
    Network Neighborhood 0x12
    History 0x22
    My Pictures 0x27
    Recent Documents 0x08

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar
    Place0
    Place1
    Place2
    Place3
    Place4

    System Policy Editor and Templates
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa18.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OF1YUr%23uFHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Places bar? Please explain.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
    >> does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5 shortcuts
    >> can be added ?

    Thanks Wesley. I generally just think of that as the common tasks dialogs,
    and hadn't seen it referred to as the places bar- that and the fact that I
    don't use that dialog, preferring to the more traditional folders view.

    --

> [...]
    > Place0
    > Place1
    > Place2
    > Place3
    > Place4
    >
    > System Policy Editor and Templates
    > http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa18.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OF1YUr%23uFHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Places bar? Please explain.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
    >>> does anyone know of a way to hack the places bar so more than 5

  4. The question was how to get more than 5 Places on that Bar .. Does any one know of a Hack. I have seen a screen shot of one - but no info. How can it be done.

Microsoft Windows XP