Not only Tejas, but Tulsa and Jayhawk canned aswel

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15768" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15768</A>

Seems a bit specific for a made up rumour. I guess this is the end of netburst, and should probably can any hopes for even Prescott to become anything than the mediocre cpu it is now.

Question remaining is if and when Intel will have a 64 bit desktop part, and how on earth they are going to launch a Dothan based high performance (and 64 bit ?) part between now and 9-12 months ?

AMD fanboys should have a field day. Buy some AMD stock :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
This only proves Intel lovers where wrong !
MHz is only for the Joe Smoe`s, they buy in to that crap, but the enthousiast that reads reviews and all that ?

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
For all the INQ bashers, here is the Reuter report:
<A HREF="http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;?type=technologyNews&storyID=5069113" target="_new">http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;?type=technologyNews&storyID=5069113</A>

Maybe its time to give the INQ and especially Magee and Groo's sources a bit of credit ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
BTX will not be dropped, it's just that future Intel processors will be based on Pentium-M and it's good for customers!

It's Intel going the AMD way... Better IPC, lower speed, lower power requirements.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I can't see why Intel wants to push to industry to move to yet another form factor. It doesn't seem to be very advantageous when applied to the new mantra for faster-and-cooler cpu's. Good for customers? Bad. New power supply standards for btx, and the whole rearrangement of the case will make for all different motherboard designs.

:cool: I run my AthlonXfx at 7.65 Exahertz :cool:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
BTX form factor have many advantages, like air flow and the ability to be very small.

At some time, you have to push for a new platform to have room to grow or have new possibilities. Compare this to car, manufacturers could always change suspension/engine/breaks and keep the same platform but at some point the new technology can't be efficient with an aging platform.

--

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm not arguing that it has advantages, but the adoption of the new form factor will cause a lot of issues with upgrading, older units, but more in specific, home users. It's not like most people are going to understand when a 2003/2004 PC is all of a sudden overshadowed and out of date due to the wide adoption of a new form factor. Going from AT to ATX, at least used a similar design in terms of the placement of the slots and motherboard in the case, but BTX literally moves them to a new position in the case.

Intel will face some major competition before it catches on

:cool: I run my AthlonXfx at 7.65 Exahertz :cool:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't there is real problem with this, because the Case/PSU cost is very low so when most people will upgrade from ATX to BTX they will only need to buy a Case/PSU + CPU/MB/RAM, this is no big deal!

And often, Case/PSU are the same price as PSU alone, so there is no point to not buy a Case when comes time to upgrade.

--

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Upgrade is a very small part of the market most new hardware are sold in a brand new dell computer.For those BTX offer only advantage.

i need to change useur name.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I agree with you, this is why I see no problem with BTX and there is no reason to worry/panic.

--

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Um......

Intel is not going to fall apart overnight. It still is a company many times bigger than AMD, and their roadmaps and plans were too different from what physical realities allowed them to do. They're at the forefront of technological breakthroughs (90nm), and physics went another way than expected. Scientists learn. Mistakes are made and that is normal.

Now Intel is not the company to give us the over-the-top processor with full features, but their revamping the roadmaps and reallocating resources doesn't mean that "Intel was wrong" - even because this is impersonation. Intel is a company with scientists, researchers and engineers who went slightly off some physical realities that are just now being uncovered. It is conceivable that this was a scientific failure, but "Intel" and "AMD" aren't two persons that can be "right" or "wrong". These are flexible companies. AMD could wind up having the same problems as Intel in 90nm (not now, because they're aware that there are problems); it is a scientific problem. AMD is late in the transition to newer manufacturing techs if compared to Intel.

In any case, I'm pretty sure someone will think that I'm defending Intel. Well, no, I'm trying to convey the higher picture... Free of biases and passionate simplifications.

And I find Intel's response to be most interesting. We all know and respect P-M's (Banias) architecture, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Dothan is about. If it's big, then I'd say Intel might just improve desktop processors by a whole lot. They have to rush, though, or they'll continue behind the competition.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
All the last P7 are now dead.So P7 will live around 5 or 6 year about the same that P5.Personnaly i think is not the time for moving to a new architecture PCI-EX coming new case standart new RAM standart new socket new chipset.

Intel will lose market share on X86 if they dont come up with some thing soon.The worse that can happen if they lose by a good margin when longhorn will be release.Does someone know what happen with nephalem.

i need to change useur name.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Actually, I was kind of thinking that Intel could rename their processors by the time they introduce heavy-duty banias/dothan P-M desktop processors. Call it something new - like Pentium 5 - or completely new... And marketing would be very helpful! Of this new architecture. I mean, I'm personally a little tired of the name "P4"..... And it would feel more like a clean, fresh, more powerful and thoughful start!

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>How come people only talk about half of the story? Intel is
>running full throttle towards two core

Cause we already knew that. And because I'm not convinced it will result in a better product than K8. A dual core Dothan, unless intel can magically cranck up the clock, will not be anywhere near a K8 in single threaded apps (which is still by far the majority today) nor FP intensive apps. Think games, it will suck balls at games, and basically every app where hyperthreading today doesnt provide a significant boost, which is like I said, most apps.

For well written multithreaded apps, a dual cored Dothan would probably be a nice chip, most likely outperforming a single core K8, probably even by a wide margin on some MT friendly apps. That is the good news for intel. The bad news is that a dual cored, "desktop optimized" (read higher clock higher fsb, therefore higher power) Dothan will not be that cool, nor that small, and by the time a dual cored Dothan hits the shelves, there will be dual cored K8's as well. Oops.

Now wether or not AMD will sell those as consumer chips, I don't know, but they sure could (or at least as a Athlon FX). And I really don't see how intel is going to release anythin that will hold a candle to a dual cored K8 in either single or multi threaded apps.

Oh, and lets not forget; afaik there is no 64 bit Dothan on the roadmaps even today. They may well be working on it, but it will most likely be much later than windows -64. Oops again.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
There a much differente story i have read.Tejas is not dead just closer to prescott.It will feature a 2MB cache 1066 FSB and no 64 bit extention and it will be ready for 90nm athlon 64.For the dual core Pentium M there a good chance it will replace XEON.

All thing are suppost to be releaser in 2005 1H.Until then prescott will ramp in clock speed.In 2006 2007 nephalem will be there with a new archtecture.

i need to change useur name.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 05/07/04 02:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
<A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040507/intel_processors_5.html" target="_new">http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040507/intel_processors_5.html</A>

One snippet - "Employees who were working on Tejas, the code name for the canceled project, will be reassigned." It doesn't get much clearer than that.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
yeha lets see more paper luanches. where is this so called ramp up? you cant evne buy 3.2 or 3.4 chips easily. they need to work on filling the market on these first. but in the end, they dont really need to, since most people just thnk since it was named that it means everyoen cna buy one and it looks like its the best chip out with the best mhz lol.

I also think its a bit funny that intel with all of its budget in R&D is only now discovering that they didnt relaly understand the laws of physics lol. at least tahts the way it sounds. 'Oh they just made an error, its understandable, anyone could do it.' I dont care if its amd or intel, although wiht its resources, youd think they should have been on top of it. I seriously doubt this was something they just found out, becuase if it is then there is a lot of lost respect for intel's R&D.

They probably did in fact know about the limitations for along time, they either bet they could find a way to outsmart physics, or they wanted to push this as long as they could and began working on the alternative once they reached the limit.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I don't know, P4Man. I think that if they managed to tweak the core for clocks of 2.5-3Ghz and go for a full 533/667/800Mhz FSB, they might just manage to get a product out the door that's more than respectable. Also bear in mind that Banias is going to be an old reference on monday; we'll be seeing what Dothan is capable of on monday. If it shines, then Intel has its ticket to a great processor in the future.

If Dothan is indeed superior to Banias and they can crank two dothan cores on a processor by 2005, clock it above 2.5Ghz (which they'll probably try to do), increase FSB and deploy the 64-bit extensions in Dothan, then I don't think they're at all out of the game. Figure a 2.53Ghz dual-core Dothan with 533Mhz FSB... They'll probably try to increase FSB quickly, in order to match current dual-channel solutions' throughtput.

If they play their game fast, Intel could give us an impressive quantum device by 2005.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I dont care if its amd or intel, although wiht its resources, youd think they should have been on top of it. I seriously doubt this was something they just found out, becuase if it is then there is a lot of lost respect for intel's R&D.
It would take a lot of resources to know physics in a scale with which you do not work. They couldn't have guessed that 90nm would be troublesome <i>before</i> doing it. And all resources in the world wouldn't bend physics.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
i cant belive you think that it wasnt possible before hand to know what to expect? I mean its not like they went into a dark room and randomly put stuff together. The materials they are working with are known materials, they have properties and tolerances which can be extrapolated to come to a conclusion as to how it will perform.

Saying that thier excuse is ignorance is pretty sad seeing as though they knew it would come and the basic architecture is the same no matter how small you go, until the limit of the pyhsical materials. Id like to know hwo a company like intel would not have known there was a possibility of problems, if so then nto only did they waste development money, but they put blinders on to comapnies like ibm that were working on it as well. I just think surely they did a little homework.

I agree wiht you though that they could do nothing to change what was coming, but I was just saying one possibility was that they thought they could hold off the wall a bit longer.

endyen

Splendid
I am pretty sure that 90nm taped out a while ago.
I'm not so sure that is the whole problem. Seems that 90nm worked, so intel wanted to add pipes, and that is where they hit a wall.
From the heat issues seen on 800 fsb v-regs, that could be part of the problem as well.
Still, a dual core Dothan is only a quick fix. You can bet that Intel has a few other chips in the fire.