How to get rid of a Windows Error Message?

Hope I can find a solution to a
recurring problem I'm having. I have XP Professional service pack 2 on my
computer and when I open up a file in my Documents section am getting the
error message 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be
closed. We are sorry for the .....'. If I simply move that window around I
can continue what I planned to do originally but if I click on the error msg
window everything's cleared, so I feel that I only need to do is keep that
msg from appearing? But I have tried the method suggested in
http://windows-help.,net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html and it does not
solve the problem. Have also tried many other things (including looking in
gpsedit.exe and that really messed things up but I may not have done it
right). Am very hesitant abt trying
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm? Any suggestions please?
it is extremely irritating. I did send an email to Microsoft abt it and they
sent me the hotfix KB816506 but it did not solve the problem
7 answers Last reply
More about windows error message

    I see you followed Frank's link alright then :) So did I!

    Okay, can we narrow this down a little.

    First Yahoo Pics is a folder in "My Documents" that you created right? I
    will assume that is the case.

    Next, you can explore anywhere else in "My Documents" without the error
    message right?

    Next, when you enter this folder and do nothing else does the error
    evetually appear or is it only when you start trying to move pictures?

    Before you reply open My Documents, go to the tools menu item and select
    folder options. See if you are using windows classic view, it's a little
    button you can check. If not then find something that causes the error,
    return to these options, select classic view then close the windows and
    start over... see if the error still happens when you do whatever you did
    before.

    I think there may be something wrong with the folder (directory) or
    something in that folder and classic view may just eliminate it.

    Charlie

    "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hope I can find a solution to a
    > recurring problem I'm having. I have XP Professional service pack 2 on my
    > computer and when I open up a file in my Documents section am getting the
    > error message 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be
    > closed. We are sorry for the .....'. If I simply move that window around I
    > can continue what I planned to do originally but if I click on the error
    > msg
    > window everything's cleared, so I feel that I only need to do is keep that
    > msg from appearing? But I have tried the method suggested in
    > http://windows-help.,net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html and it does not
    > solve the problem. Have also tried many other things (including looking in
    > gpsedit.exe and that really messed things up but I may not have done it
    > right). Am very hesitant abt trying
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm? Any suggestions
    > please?
    > it is extremely irritating. I did send an email to Microsoft abt it and
    > they
    > sent me the hotfix KB816506 but it did not solve the problem

    Yes I did follow the suggestion, been trying forever to get rid of this
    thing?!? Yes I I did create the Yahoo Pics and jus tried clicking on
    another folder in the My Documents section to see if I'd have any problem and
    I didn't?, could move it if I wanted to? And ther error msg eventually pops
    up when I click on that certain folder (it's named Yahoo pictures). I tried
    switching it to the classic view but still, when I clicked on the Yahoo
    pictures folder the error message popped up? So maybe it's that folder?
    (maybe just transferring all the contents in it to another location would
    solve).
    Thank you for helping to 'whittle that mistake down to the exact problem'
    ....maybe*smiles*

    skimmi

    "Charlie Tame" wrote:

    > I see you followed Frank's link alright then :) So did I!
    >
    > Okay, can we narrow this down a little.
    >
    > First Yahoo Pics is a folder in "My Documents" that you created right? I
    > will assume that is the case.
    >
    > Next, you can explore anywhere else in "My Documents" without the error
    > message right?
    >
    > Next, when you enter this folder and do nothing else does the error
    > evetually appear or is it only when you start trying to move pictures?
    >
    > Before you reply open My Documents, go to the tools menu item and select
    > folder options. See if you are using windows classic view, it's a little
    > button you can check. If not then find something that causes the error,
    > return to these options, select classic view then close the windows and
    > start over... see if the error still happens when you do whatever you did
    > before.
    >
    > I think there may be something wrong with the folder (directory) or
    > something in that folder and classic view may just eliminate it.
    >
    > Charlie
    >
    > "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hope I can find a solution to a
    > > recurring problem I'm having. I have XP Professional service pack 2 on my
    > > computer and when I open up a file in my Documents section am getting the
    > > error message 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be
    > > closed. We are sorry for the .....'. If I simply move that window around I
    > > can continue what I planned to do originally but if I click on the error
    > > msg
    > > window everything's cleared, so I feel that I only need to do is keep that
    > > msg from appearing? But I have tried the method suggested in
    > > http://windows-help.,net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html and it does not
    > > solve the problem. Have also tried many other things (including looking in
    > > gpsedit.exe and that really messed things up but I may not have done it
    > > right). Am very hesitant abt trying
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm? Any suggestions
    > > please?
    > > it is extremely irritating. I did send an email to Microsoft abt it and
    > > they
    > > sent me the hotfix KB816506 but it did not solve the problem

    I think one of the pictures is malformed, most of these formats have a kind
    of "Header" that describes the picture parameters like size for example, and
    then the picture can be loaded from the following data.

    If you imagine building a mosaic it's like "Lay out the tiles in a line 100
    tiles long and repeat this 300 times" so you get a picture 100 pixels wide
    and 300 high.

    Now, make one of those figures wrong by say adding a zero and you are trying
    to draw 100 tiles wide and 3000 tiles high and you have no data left in the
    file... maybe you try to read past the end of the file or even past the end
    of the folder.

    The reason I wondered about classic mode is that in XP mode it tries to draw
    a "Thumbnail" sized picture so even before you try to load the file XP is
    reading the data... Of course it does also try to figure out the parameters
    of the file even in classic mode so it can display the file size etc...
    again this points to a malformed file, and you may not have to actually pick
    on the file, just the folder it is in.

    Do you see any pictures in there with very large or very small sizes for
    example? You could try creating a new folder, move a few at a time and see
    if you can duplicate the problem there. If not it's maybe real disk errors,
    if you can then you will get closer to the problematic file, smae process of
    elimination. I don't think you have a problem with explorer if it's just
    that one folder and so I wouldn't suggest trying to fix that which is not
    broken, else you might break it :)

    Only you can judge how much trouble it worth, but if we learned something
    along the way almost anything is worth the effort :)

> [...]
    >> > error
    >> > msg
    >> > window everything's cleared, so I feel that I only need to do is keep
    >> > that
    >> > msg from appearing? But I have tried the method suggested in
    >> > http://windows-help.,net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html and it does
    >> > not
    >> > solve the problem. Have also tried many other things (including looking
    >> > in
    >> > gpsedit.exe and that really messed things up but I may not have done it
    >> > right). Am very hesitant abt trying
    >> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm? Any suggestions
    >> > please?
    >> > it is extremely irritating. I did send an email to Microsoft abt it and
    >> > they
    >> > sent me the hotfix KB816506 but it did not solve the problem

    Try what Ramesh suggested.

    --
    Peter

    "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C11FD96-3E5C-42FE-930E-B7FB0BD88A5A@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> > closed. We are sorry for the .....'. If I simply move that window around I
    >> > can continue what I planned to do originally but if I click on the error
    >> > msg
    >> > window everything's cleared, so I feel that I only need to do is keep that
    >> > msg from appearing? But I have tried the method suggested in
    >> > http://windows-help.,net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html and it does not
    >> > solve the problem. Have also tried many other things (including looking in
    >> > gpsedit.exe and that really messed things up but I may not have done it
    >> > right). Am very hesitant abt trying
    >> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm? Any suggestions
    >> > please?
    >> > it is extremely irritating. I did send an email to Microsoft abt it and
    >> > they
    >> > sent me the hotfix KB816506 but it did not solve the problem

    And you know what ...I think you are exactly right in it being the pictures
    themselves (being 'malformed' in some way). I did go thru all the trouble of
    transferring the pics (all of them) to another folder but eventually that
    same error popped up in that folder. But ......in moving them to a cd on
    certain pics a message would pop up saying something like 'some extraneous
    info would be deleted but it would not affect what the picture. Did I want
    to continue.' Of course I said yes and the picture did turn out right.
    Those pictures did happen to have weird characters in the name...... And
    when I finally had just pictures w/ 'regular names' in the file I was
    transferring from the error message did not pop up. So I guess I'd better
    not be in such a hurry when trying to save a picture.........and look at the
    name. Does that sound right? But thank you so much for helping to bring
    that to my mind... :o))

    skimmi

    "Charlie Tame" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> will assume that is the case.
    > >>
    > >> Next, you can explore anywhere else in "My Documents" without the error
    > >> message right?
    > >>
    > >> Next, when you enter this folder and do nothing else does the error
    > >> evetually appear or is it only when you start trying to move pictures?
    > >>
    > >> Before you reply open My Documents, go to the tools menu item and select
    > >> folder options. See if you are using windows classic view, it's a little
    > >> button you can check. If not then find something that causes the error,
    > >> return to these options, select classic view then close the windows and
    > >> start over... see if the error still happens when you do whatever you did
    > >> before.
    > >>
    > >> I think there may be something wrong with the folder (directory) or
    > >> something in that folder and classic view may just eliminate it.

    What did Ramesh suggest? (but I think I may have solved the problem, the
    answer being the pictures I was saving in the first place..............I
    think they were in some way "malformed").

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > Try what Ramesh suggested.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C11FD96-3E5C-42FE-930E-B7FB0BD88A5A@microsoft.com...
    > > Yes I did follow the suggestion, been trying forever to get rid of this
    > > thing?!? Yes I I did create the Yahoo Pics and jus tried clicking on
    > > another folder in the My Documents section to see if I'd have any problem and
    > > I didn't?, could move it if I wanted to? And ther error msg eventually pops
    > > up when I click on that certain folder (it's named Yahoo pictures). I tried
    > > switching it to the classic view but still, when I clicked on the Yahoo
    > > pictures folder the error message popped up? So maybe it's that folder?
    > > (maybe just transferring all the contents in it to another location would
    > > solve).
    > > Thank you for helping to 'whittle that mistake down to the exact problem'
    > > ...maybe*smiles*
    > >
    > > skimmi
    > >

    > > "Charlie Tame" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I see you followed Frank's link alright then :) So did I!
    > >>
    > >> Okay, can we narrow this down a little.
    > >>
    > >> First Yahoo Pics is a folder in "My Documents" that you created right? I
    > >> will assume that is the case.
    > >>
    > >> Next, you can explore anywhere else in "My Documents" without the error
    > >> message right?
    > >>
    > >> Next, when you enter this folder and do nothing else does the error
    > >> evetually appear or is it only when you start trying to move pictures?
    > >>
    > >> Before you reply open My Documents, go to the tools menu item and select
    > >> folder options. See if you are using windows classic view, it's a little
    > >> button you can check. If not then find something that causes the error,
    > >> return to these options, select classic view then close the windows and
    > >> start over... see if the error still happens when you do whatever you did
    > >> before.
    > >>
    > >> I think there may be something wrong with the folder (directory) or
    > >> something in that folder and classic view may just eliminate it.
    > >>
    > >> Charlie
    > >>
    > >> "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Glad you found a solution even if we are guessing to some extent.

    The picture header data in some file formats is vital because where
    compression is used the picture viewer program has to undo the compression,
    and if those parameters are wrong it can cause all kinds of chaos. Quite
    likely something is broken and the picture viewer is trying to do something
    like create a "Frame" for the picture that's 2 inches high and half a mile
    wide or whatever, as a result it goes off trying to alloctae reources,
    find's it can't handle that size and throws out the error message.

    This might mean that the picture you downloaded was bad, that the program
    that created it or sized it was broken or perhaps that the creating program
    didn't even look at all the parameters - so something in the original
    picture before it was placed on the web "Fell through". This could cause
    your picture viewer to choke trying to rebuild the picture or simply try and
    read past the end of the disk file, looking for the half mile of picture
    that isn't really there.

    By the way a good picture editor which can also do other things is IrfanView
    which is free and can be found at www.irfanview.com

    It started off being an excellent program and the author has added more and
    more capabilities to it but managed to keep it small and fast and still
    excellent. I suggest you set aside some time to play with it and check out
    the effects of the various options.

> [...]
    >> > thing?!? Yes I I did create the Yahoo Pics and jus tried clicking on
    >> > another folder in the My Documents section to see if I'd have any
    >> > problem
    >> > and
    >> > I didn't?, could move it if I wanted to? And ther error msg
    >> > eventually
    >> > pops
    >> > up when I click on that certain folder (it's named Yahoo pictures). I
    >> > tried
    >> > switching it to the classic view but still, when I clicked on the Yahoo
    >> > pictures folder the error message popped up? So maybe it's that
    >> > folder?
    >> > (maybe just transferring all the contents in it to another location
    >> > would
    >> > solve).
    >> > Thank you for helping to 'whittle that mistake down to the exact

Error Message Windows XP