Problem deleting files

Hi

I recently installed windows xp sp2 on a new computer. I also installed
drivers for the motherboard and graphic cards.
Other than that I copied files to this computer, but installed nothing more
(so far).
The problem I have is the screen goes dark for a second every time I mark
files and press the 'delete' button. The screen immidiately returns and the
confirmation dialog appears. The rest of the action is performed without
problems.
Any idea why the screen goes dark?

Thanks in advance

My guess would be drivers or bios settings for the video card. See their
website for latest drivers (although in my case the latest drivers are NOT
the best so this is not 100% certain) and I probably can't help at all with
the BIOS settings.

I find with mine tho it is best to set Plug 'n Play OS to "No" despite the
fact that the Windows OS is of course P'nP. I have no idea why this is, can
only guess that if it's set to yes the BIOS doesn;t check the devices itself
and this then cause me config errors.

Charlie

"Adi A" <adia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I recently installed windows xp sp2 on a new computer. I also installed
> drivers for the motherboard and graphic cards.
> Other than that I copied files to this computer, but installed nothing
> more
> (so far).
> The problem I have is the screen goes dark for a second every time I mark
> files and press the 'delete' button. The screen immidiately returns and
> the
> confirmation dialog appears. The rest of the action is performed without
> problems.
> Any idea why the screen goes dark?
>
> Thanks in advance

Thank you for your answer.
According to your answer, the problem can't be related to deleting files,
but may be caused by the confirmation dialog box. I'll try to see if this
also happens with other dialogs. (if it only happens with delete
confirmation dialog, blaming the video card doesn't make sense)
Did you get this problem yourself?

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> My guess would be drivers or bios settings for the video card. See their
> website for latest drivers (although in my case the latest drivers are NOT
> the best so this is not 100% certain) and I probably can't help at all
> with the BIOS settings.
>
> I find with mine tho it is best to set Plug 'n Play OS to "No" despite the
> fact that the Windows OS is of course P'nP. I have no idea why this is,
> can only guess that if it's set to yes the BIOS doesn;t check the devices
> itself and this then cause me config errors.
>
> Charlie
>
> "Adi A" <adia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I recently installed windows xp sp2 on a new computer. I also installed
>> drivers for the motherboard and graphic cards.
>> Other than that I copied files to this computer, but installed nothing
>> more
>> (so far).
>> The problem I have is the screen goes dark for a second every time I mark
>> files and press the 'delete' button. The screen immidiately returns and
>> the
>> confirmation dialog appears. The rest of the action is performed without
>> problems.
>> Any idea why the screen goes dark?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Well you said "New computer" so I guessed that it's maybe something you have
built or bought without an operating system.

Quite often motherboards and graphics cards come with a CD of drivers that
is a bit old, usually the manufacturer has improved the drivers by the time
you actually get to buy the board.

When you install XP it will look for drivers for most hardware it finds and
it will find "Suitable" drivers in it's own installer package. It is not
unusual for the drivers in XP to be better than anything on a manufacturer's
CD for the reason given above and because they have probably been tested
with XP.

I've seen a few cases where Video drivers cause spurious problems you
wouldn't expect from video drivers, such as the problem you described,
although there is no guarantee that it is the drivers. I am merely saying it
could be, I have seen similar things happen before.

If it only happens with delete it may still be some interaction between
Video drivers or other hardware drivers, it's actually very difficult to say
for sure what it "Can't" be.

SO if you installed the drivers from a makers' CD after you installed XP
try visiting the makers' sites and see if updated drivers are available,
still my first suggestion.

Charlie