Fastest CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chipsets
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2004 12:10:42 PM

Just a quick question lads (and lasses?) Which is fastest in your opinions. A barton 3.0 gig on an Nforce 2 mobo or an Intel 2.6 Pent 4 800 with HT on an Intel 865 chipset.
Thanks for your time

More about : fastest cpu

May 8, 2004 1:35:39 PM

I'd say that they are about equal in performance.

If you plan on overclocking though, then in this case I belive the 2.6c would be a better choice because the Barton will max out at around 2.3GHz on air cooling, while you can reach ~3.2GHz with the 2.6c. Note though that you will need faster memory (=more expensive) for something like this, so in that price range maybe an Athlon 64 would be a good choice as well.
May 8, 2004 4:34:54 PM

Quote:
A barton 3.0 gig on an Nforce 2 mobo

You probably talk about Barton 3000+, because there is not 3.0GHz Athlon available on the market! If AMD would release one, this would probably be the fastest x86 processor on earth! :smile:

If you don't overclock Athlon XP 3000+ and P4C 2.6GHz are comparable. It will mostly depends on apps. you would use.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!
Related resources
May 8, 2004 4:55:50 PM

yes i did in fact mean a 3000+ Barton. I asked this Question because i have one machine with a 3000+ Barton and one with a 2.6 P4 with HT, and the Barton machine just seems to be a bit quicker, which surprises me
May 8, 2004 5:09:08 PM

what are you wanting to do with it? Gaming or video encoding etc?

AMD - Gaming
INTEL - Video / audio encodin

<A HREF="http://www.tubgirl.com" target="_new">Don't Click This - Please! (NSFW)</A>
May 8, 2004 5:19:13 PM

Mainly Gaming and browsing the web etc,should i be able to overclock my Mobo, which is an Abit IS7 with 1 gig of crucial 400 ram and an MSI 5900 FX, and the 2.6 P4 800 with HT
May 8, 2004 5:50:17 PM

Hi again lads,can i take this question a little bit further? If i give you clever lads my system specs,can you give me the mobo bios settings to overclock my rig.

Abit IS7 Mobo
2.6 P4 800 with HT
1Gig Crucial 400 DDR Ram (2x512)In Dual Mode
120 Gig Maxtor Hard Drive
Nvidia 5900 Ultra 256
450W Power Supply
Air Cooled with a Zalman Flower CPU Cooler

This overclocking is all new to me, any help would be great,as long as i don't blow the bloody thing up, lol.

Thanks again
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2004 9:54:38 PM

If you're lucky your CPU will be stable at 250MHz FSB. Otherwise that setting would simply destabilize your system without damaging anything, and you'd try slower settings.

OK, so let's go through this. P4 uses Quad Data Rate CPU bus, so 800MHz data rate they advertise is 200MHz clock rate. DDR400 is Double Data Rate, so the 400MHz advertised comes from a 200MHz clock rate.

The ideal setting using your memory would be the CPU bus at 250MHz clock, and the memory bus at 200MHz clock. An even more ideal setting would require faster memory.

I believe your board is like many others, reporting the CPU bus clock rate, but the memory data rate, so that the CPU bus speed of 200MHz would be selected, and the memory speed of "333MHz" or "320MHz". Then overclocking the CPU bus by 25% to 250MHz results in the RAM being raised from the "320MHz" setting to an actual speed of DDR400. Using these settings allows the CPU to be overclocked with the memory being clocked "up" to stock speed.

I'd try 1.65v for the CPU vCore, and raise or lower it depending on stability. If it's stable at 1.65v, try reducing the voltage to the point where it occasionally crashes, then raise it back up to the next higher setting. This allows you to find the lowest voltage needed to get your CPU to 250MHz FSB, reducing heat.

If your CPU isn't stable at 1.65v, try 1.70v. I wouldn't go higher than that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 8, 2004 10:26:13 PM

Hey Crashman, I did as you said and it worked, im now running this 2.6 @ 3.06 and its running fine at the moment (touches wood)I have upped the cpu voltage up to 1.65 volts. Do you think i could get higher than this, with the cooliing i have at the moment (Zalman Flower)
May 8, 2004 10:28:26 PM

The fastest CPU is used in the space shuttle however Air cooling is NOT recommended!! I think its a Motorola 6800 |!| no that was the CPU the Engineer used to mix the glue that holds the Insulating foam onto the side of the fuel drop tank!!!!!!!

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No not the Tom's posters I am sure we would have the brains to purchase a ride out of Russia...................Failing that our sled would never make orbit so we would not have to worry about Thermal temperatures.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
May 8, 2004 10:32:49 PM

Hey look I am not being sarcastic it just burns my ass that Robot rovers get a better ride then our Human kind!!

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2004 11:33:23 PM

Wha...at 250MHz FSB, the 2.6 should be 3.25GHz! I don't know how much cooling you'll get from that cooler, but I assume you're using the optional fan!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 9, 2004 1:17:34 AM

How's he gonna get to 250 FSB on Crucial PC3200? I'm I missimg something here?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2004 3:37:49 AM

Yes you are, reread my earlier post, I'm telling him to use a 5:4 CPU:RAM bus ratio. That ratio is represented by the base setting of 200MHz CPU and 320 or 333MHz RAM setting in BIOS, where the RAM bus is represented by the data rate (DDR) and the CPU bus is represented by the actual clock rate. 5:4 gives him 250:200 CPU:RAM when he overclocks to 250MHz CPU bus using those base settings.

Most newer boards are indeed representing the CPU bus by clock rate and the DDR bus with it's data rate, simply to add confusion to everything.

May 9, 2004 8:56:39 AM

Hey Crashman,sorry I misunderstood your first post,I had the ratio set to 1:1. Now I have it set to 5:4, and it indeed running @ 3.26 GHz and with the voltage set to 1.65 still.Is there anything else i need to do, or watch out for?
Thanks for your help i will let you know how things work out after running it a while.
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2004 10:33:42 AM

As long as it's stable, you should be set. You might want to watch the CPU temp, but since the P4 has thermal protection it's not like getting hot will actually hurt it, it would simply slow down. And that tip might come in handy if you ever experience weird performance.

May 9, 2004 1:27:27 PM

Problems have occurred, ie: My machine keeps locking up.I have to reboot my machine. Any thoughts what it could be!
It locks up on the desktop,not as if i am running any programmes, Overheating maybe? Memory problem? I just don't know. Any help would be grateful.
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2004 5:39:45 PM

Try leaving the other settings as they are and dropping the CPU bus to 244MHz.

May 9, 2004 8:41:55 PM

Ok Crashman, Its been running for a few hours now and seems to be stable at the moment. I left all the settings as they were and dropped the CPU to 244MHz.CPU temp is 55c under strain.Will keep you posted.
May 10, 2004 7:08:39 AM

My CPU is Barton2500+ @ 200MHZ*12, it works fairly well and i think i can used it for at least two more years.It also does great performance with my softed 9800se@256bit, 8*1(not oc) in every game. Hey, they only cost me about USD 230.
May 10, 2004 10:37:36 AM

He said he's using his system for gaming and you're telling him to asink his FSB and RAM. Better tell him to get some DDR500 if he's got the money, or just oc the memory as much as he can do it, perhaps also mess with the latencies.
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2004 8:52:55 PM

I would, but I normally don't go around telling people to buy more stuff when they've just bought new stuff, unless they ask.

!