Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a 23-25" gaming monitor with no ghosting

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 15, 2011 2:00:06 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: THIS WEEK

Budget Range: $200-300 (After Rebates)

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, nothing else with this machine)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Fry's, MicroCenter, Amazon Newegg.com etc...)

Country of Origin: (USA)

Brand Preferences: (Dont have any, although id rather it not be a Samsung, but Ill buy one if thats the best)

Physical Size (Diagonal): (23 inch - 25 inch) 24" is preferable I think

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: (1920x1080, 1920x1200 )

Inputs Needed: ( HDMI or DisplayPort or DVI)

Panel Type(s) Desired: (no preference)

LED Backlight: Indifferent

Speakers: Indifferent

Wall-Mount: Indifferent

Stand Functions: Indifferent

Additional Comments: I want low input lag, NO GHOSTING, this is the most important feature to me. Super bright stuff hurts my eyes. My last monitor, a Samsung, was so bright I just stopped using it
May 15, 2011 2:28:01 AM

A little more information: I previously had purchased the ASUS VE248H, but it had terrible ghosting problems so I returned it :(  Out of curiosity is it possible that unit was defective, like say when you get dead pixels?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 77 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 4:26:19 AM

Okay, two things I notice here:
1. You mention that your Samsung was too bright - most monitors have a brightness control so that you can turn it down (or are you saying it was too bright even at the lowest setting?)
2. Some monitors have controls to adjust the amount of response time compensation they perform - have you checked for these before giving up on your Asus VE248H?
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2011 5:03:36 AM

MauveCloud said:
Okay, two things I notice here:
1. You mention that your Samsung was too bright - most monitors have a brightness control so that you can turn it down (or are you saying it was too bright even at the lowest setting?)
2. Some monitors have controls to adjust the amount of response time compensation they perform - have you checked for these before giving up on your Asus VE248H?

I did adjust the brightness on the Samsung and never found a setting I was happy with. Now mind you, this was several years ago, monitors were different.

I did not know that it was even possible to adjust the response time on a monitor! How exactly do you do that? I can't recall ever seeing a setting for that, or even reading about it anywhere
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 77 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 1:34:27 PM

24nolf said:
I did not know that it was even possible to adjust the response time on a monitor! How exactly do you do that? I can't recall ever seeing a setting for that, or even reading about it anywhere

Have a look at the "Responsiveness and Gaming" sections of these two monitor reviews to see that some monitors offer adjustments for that:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_ms246h.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_f2380.htm

(note: both of these models are out of stock at NewEgg, but you can find them on Google Shopping)

Unfortunately, not all monitors have settings for that, the ones that do may have it in different places. Looking at the online manual, it looks like the VE248H lacks the "Trace Free" setting that the MS246H has; the only thing I can see to try is different presets on the "Splendid" menu.

Between the Gateway and the Samsung you mentioned, I see two things about the Gateway model that make me cautious:
1. it's cheaper than the Samsung despite being a larger screen size with the same panel type
2. it only has a 1-year manufacturer warranty (3 years is fairly common for monitors)
m
l
!