Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any hope for a new 27" 2560x1440 LED monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 15, 2011 4:06:48 AM

Hello, I'm in the market for a new monitor and Need all the vertical resolution I can get. I play online poker and getting 9 tables to tile on a 1080 or 1200 screen isn't cutting it.

I would like to run a 19" next to my new monitor as well so I'm wanting the following:
27"+ LED backlit monitor in 1440 or higher vertical resolution.
Have a 19" 5:4 monitor in the same brand.

I realize this might be asking a lot but it seems that only Apple makes a 1440 LED backlit monitor at the time and it's glossy so I really don't want to run a glossy screen next to a matte screen.

If anyone knows of company that has some 1440 LED backlit 27"+ screens on the horizon I'd love to know so I can stop obsessing.
a c 76 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 4:35:14 AM

Why do you want one with an LED backlight? The Apple 27 inch Cinema display uses a W-LED backlight, which generally looks slightly worse than a CCFL backlight. RGB LED backlighting would look better, but the monitor would be at least double the price of a similar monitor with CCFL backlighting. Have you already rejected the idea of getting a Dell U2711?
m
l
May 15, 2011 4:09:46 PM

I have a sensitivity to fluorescent lighting and struggled with different monitors before I got my current LED backlit ones. I don't like throw up if I walk into a fluorescent lit room but if I sat in there for about 8 hours I would. Playing poker I'm looking at the screen for up to 10 or 11 hours in a long session so if I used CCFL I'd need a puke bucket next to the desk.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 76 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 6:24:00 PM

That sounds like a good reason to avoid CCFLs.

Here are some models to consider:
Samsung SA850 (TFT Central has details on it in the News section; the panel was said to be scheduled for a May 2011 release, but the monitor hasn't been released yet)
Samsung XL30 (uses RGB LED, and the lowest price I see for it at the moment is $3,743.19)
LaCie 730 (same panel as the Samsung XL30, so also RGB LED, lowest price I see at the moment is $2,884.27)
Hazro HZ27WA, Hazro HZ27WC (hard to find outside the UK)
May 15, 2011 6:58:57 PM

That is excellent news MauveCloud! I don't mind paying around $1k for the monitor but $3-4k is out of my price range. It being a Samsung mean's I'll most likely be able to find a 19" mate to it in 5:4 or at least there is an NEC that will look very similar in style and design.

TY so very much for digging this info up for me. I've spent hours looking for something similar to this. A++ sir, you're quite a valuable resource.
m
l
May 15, 2011 6:59:07 PM

Best answer selected by dudeskis.
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 7:28:32 PM

I'll toss in the Apple Cinema 27" monitor as an option. It is less expensive than the above mentioned Samsung and LaCie. Hazro is only available in Europe so you would need to find import it into the US and that voids the warranty.

The Apple Cinema is less expensive because it uses typical LED (a.k.a. WLED) backlight which is cheaper to manufacture than RGB-LED backlight which is why it is exclusive to graphics professional level monitors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735904-REG/Apple_...

The only issue with Apple is that they only use mini DisplayPort connections. Therefore, you need to purchase an Active DisplayPort Adaptor to use with a PC video card if the card does not have a mini DisplayPort. You must purchase a Dual Link DVI to mini DisplayPort like the following item. A hassle, but still a much cheaper solution to buying a RGB-LED LCD monitor, unless you want to purchase a RGB LED LCD monitor.

http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=989...

If you are going to purchase a different brand name adapter, then just be aware that it must be Dual Linked DVI otherwise the Apple Cinema 27" will only display 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 resolution.
m
l
a c 76 C Monitor
May 15, 2011 7:53:13 PM

jaguarskx, did you read the original message? the poster was already aware of the Apple 27 inch cinema display, and was against it for having a glossy screen.
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
May 16, 2011 3:39:35 AM

Ahh... I missed that...
m
l
!