Sign in with
Your question

UEFI format issues

Last response: in Windows 7
November 30, 2012 1:47:17 PM

Is there any easy way of formatting while my system has UEFI? I've gotten nothing but problems, none of the normal ways work, windows setup is not even showing my hdd's in the setup, claiming my cd/dvd drivers are missing, while it booted from the dvd... i've tried booting from USB but bootsect does not work on my 64bit so i can't make the usb drive bootable

My intention is to install windows on my SSD, currently my os runs on 2x 1tb in raid 0, i've converted the SSD from mbr to GPT because uefi only accepts gpt it seems?

I tried to install just using my windows cd while i'm in windows, because i can't see any hdd's when i boot from dvd, and it says my cd/dvd drivers are missing, so i could see the SSD in the install via windows and it started but at one of the last steps of the installation, when it was doing the registry stuff, i got an error that the installation was unsuccesful.

I have no experience with all this UEFI stuff, i don't understand why im having all these problems, the only thing i might try is to prepare the ssd partitions for UEFI, found a guide from microsoft explaining how to do it with using windows SIM but all this seems way too complicated for me to just do a simple format, i'm not educated in these things, the only thing i have is google and i don't know how to fix this

I have an aurora R4 from alienware if this may help, i didn't include an ssd from them when i bought it because i thought i would be able to just format and install windows to the sdd, was not expecting all these problems

More about : uefi format issues

a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:29:52 PM

Not suprised at all.
If you changed the two Raid drives to an SSD as a boot drive then you would have to for example set the ssd up on Sata port 1, set it up as the second boot device in the list.
Then you would have to go into the extra settings to create a new raid array, making sure sata ports 2,3 were set to raid mode.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:32:43 PM

Not suprised at all.
If you changed the two Raid drives to an SSD as a boot drive then you would have to for example set the ssd up on Sata port 1, set it up as the second boot device in the list.
Then you would have to go into the extra settings to create a new raid array, making sure sata ports 2,3 were set to raid mode. The ssd should be set up as Sata no raid enabled. on sata port 1.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 5:54:52 PM

First completely disconnect your raid array from the system. Then use port 1 for the SSD and try installing the OS. If that works connect the raid drives to 2 & 3 and re-enable the raid as weaselman says.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 5:55:23 PM

Depending on bios, if you select it to show boot options, you may have options for UEFI DVD and legacy, choose legacy can solve a lot of issue.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:02:06 PM

FWIW, I just built two computers with UEFI (my first exposure) and SSDs with no such problems.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 9:24:33 PM

Hi

I recently looked at the user guide for Acronis TrueImage cloning software

there is a list of compatibility with large hard disks > 2TB, uefui (bios), GPT (master boot sector) and various versions of Windows
this may clear things up for you

This was at Western Digital website ( WD version a free download ) probably available from Seagate as well

I transferred my 120GB OCZ SSD (XP + 7 (both 32 bit) to a new motherboard which has a uefi bios, it did not need a change to gpt

Some SATA controllers only support hard drives not DVD's and some bios settings can prevent DVD's working correctly

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
!