VSS error, Event ID: 5013

Sam

For the last 3 days I've suddenly started seeing VSS errors in the
Event Log. Here's what it says:

>Event ID: 5013
>Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer Registry called routine MoveFilesInDirectory which failed with status 0x80070020 (converted to 0x800423f4).

The error occurs when by backup program is scheduled (Stomp, Backup
MyPC 6.0). The backup, which runs to an external hard-drive, seems to
run just fine, despite this error. I've even been able to restore
files from it.

I'm running Windows XP, sp2 on an Asus A7N8XE motherboard with an AMD
Athlon XP3200+ processor, ATI X800pro video, SB Audigy4 sound and 1gig
RAM. All the latest drivers are installed.

This didn't happen before 3 days ago, but I can't think of anything
that changed then.

Thanks.

Sam

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" -- Pogo (1970)

Sam

This link may offer a solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311141

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sam" <retired@home.net> wrote in message news:7i4pi156h34na7glk6fbciob13l5lrc98f@4ax.com...
> For the last 3 days I've suddenly started seeing VSS errors in the
> Event Log. Here's what it says:
>
>>Event ID: 5013
>>Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer Registry called routine MoveFilesInDirectory which failed with status 0x80070020 (converted to 0x800423f4).
>
> The error occurs when by backup program is scheduled (Stomp, Backup
> MyPC 6.0). The backup, which runs to an external hard-drive, seems to
> run just fine, despite this error. I've even been able to restore
> files from it.
>
> I'm running Windows XP, sp2 on an Asus A7N8XE motherboard with an AMD
> Athlon XP3200+ processor, ATI X800pro video, SB Audigy4 sound and 1gig
> RAM. All the latest drivers are installed.
>
> This didn't happen before 3 days ago, but I can't think of anything
> that changed then.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam
>
> --
> "We have met the enemy, and he is us" -- Pogo (1970)

Sam

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:48:38 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
<gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

>Sam
>
>This link may offer a solution:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311141

Doesn't seem to apply to my case. First, this is on a single PC, not a
Domain Controller and I'm using Windows XP Professional (sp2) not the
server OS versions. My network adapter only has a single IP address
(via DHCP). The backup also apparently completes successfully without
further errors.

Sam

TRENDING THREADS