Hyper-link Problem in Internet Explorer

September 17, 2005 10:07:01 PM

Whenever I'm using IE Version 6.0.2800 - clicking on ANY hyper-link takes me
to my home page rather than the page the hyper-link points to. The problem
just started sometime in the last week - don't know what I did to change my
settings, but it's obviously VERY annoying to be reading, say an article on
Cnet, click on a hyper-link expecting to go to a new article, and end on on
my home page instead. If it makes any difference - my home page is
Google.com. Anyone have any ideas on how to change this?
Thanks, Philip
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:36:07 AM

"Thoth" <Thoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I'm using IE Version 6.0.2800 - clicking on ANY hyper-link
> takes me to my home page rather than the page the hyper-link points
> to. The problem just started sometime in the last week - don't know
> what I did to change my settings, but it's obviously VERY annoying to
> be reading, say an article on Cnet, click on a hyper-link expecting
> to go to a new article, and end on on my home page instead. If it
> makes any difference - my home page is Google.com. Anyone have any
> ideas on how to change this?
> Thanks, Philip

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Frank - That "fixed" the problem. Thank you for your quick response, AND
very clear directions.
Regards, Philip (Thoth)

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" wrote:

> "Thoth" <Thoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I'm using IE Version 6.0.2800 - clicking on ANY hyper-link
> > takes me to my home page rather than the page the hyper-link points
> > to. The problem just started sometime in the last week - don't know
> > what I did to change my settings, but it's obviously VERY annoying to
> > be reading, say an article on Cnet, click on a hyper-link expecting
> > to go to a new article, and end on on my home page instead. If it
> > makes any difference - my home page is Google.com. Anyone have any
> > ideas on how to change this?
> > Thanks, Philip
>
> From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
>
> Open Windows Explorer.
> Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
> Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
> Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
> Select 'open'.
> Click Edit.
>
> "Application used to perform this action" should read:
>
> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
> (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
> double quotes.)
>
> DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:
>
> #1:
> "%1",,-1,0,,,,
> IExplore
> #3 (blank)

> WWW_OpenURL
>
> URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.
>
> Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type
>
> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

September 18, 2005 1:23:06 AM

> Hi Frank - That "fixed" the problem. Thank you for your quick
> response, AND very clear directions.
> Regards, Philip (Thoth)

Thanks for the feedback.

--