JPT

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Im building a system and I don't plan on overclocking the CPU, I was going to go with the 3.2 P4, then I changed my mind for the AMD 64 3200+, but now im just confused. The reason being I've read so many review and comparisons, that I have a lot of conflicting data. I would much appreciate some help from this community. :D

BTW, I will mostly be doing gaming with my system, and I play titles such as Counter-strike, Final fantasy XI, Call of duty, and I will probably play new titles like farcry etc.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
What's your current rig and most importantly, graphic card? That should be your first upgrade. If you're building a new system you might wanna wait for prices on 6800s and X800s to go down and get one. Also down the road is AMD's socket 939 which will host the cheaper XPs as well as the pricier FXs which means that upgrading later probably won't include the motherboard which will make it cheaper.
AMD is better for gaming - consider that.
This isn't really a good time to upgrade CPU/board/vid card or buying a whole new system.

Abit IS7 @ 275 FSB, OCZ PC4200 RAM @ 550Mhz, P4 2.4 @ 3.3Ghz Vcore @ 1.625, Sapphire Radeon 9800P @ 410/780.
Thermalright SLK-947U, P3 HS @ NB.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
*yawn*, not another "wait" advice :(

Today is a <b>great</b> day to order a system. For gaming, don't even think about it, get a A64. As for the videocard, true that a new generation is about to be released, so don't be crazy and buy a $500 board, since it will be a mainstream part within a few months, but get a decent $200 one instead and prepare to upgrade it sooner rather than later. but that advice would also apply about any point in time. Only if you 're in the market for a ultra high end rig with a $500 GPU, I would consider waiting, but better advice would still be to buy something cheaper, and upgrade it earlier. No need to wait IMHO.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As soon as someone besides Chaintech comes out with a decent Nforce3-250 board make sure you E-mail me. I'm waiting until then.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well i have to disagree about the video card suggestion. i think waiting a couple weeks ehre is a good choice, becuase once the ati X800 pro come in volume, the other ati cards will have ot drop whihc will give oyu more options in your price range.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
What is your price range? Also you should check the graphics card forum (if you haven't already).

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
the 9800pro won't drop anymore, it'll just dissapear from the market pretty soon, maybe drop by a few bucks maximum, the 9800XT will drop in price by quite a bit.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a great time to build an A64 system. nVidia recently released a great chipset called the nForce3 250, and it's already available on boards such as MSI's K8N Neo series. ATI has released the X800 Pro, which is 2x as powerfull as the 9800 Pro, for less than 2x the price. Or, if you're interested only in nVidia cards, you can check on availability of the 6800 series. Or, if your budget is a bit leaner, you can still get a good price on the 9800 Pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, you'll here a few comments to wait for new technology. Well, everything changes this year, AMD and Intel both have new sockets comming, chipsets will be moving to PCI-Express, etc. If you were waiting for the dust to clear you'd be waiting a long time, I suggest you build something today that will still be valuable to you in 3 years, rather than holding out for new technology.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>