New Dell Inspiron but no WinXPPro CD

I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
SP2.
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

User42 wrote:
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
> SP2.

Call Dell Customer Support and ask for one. You'll need the Service Tag
or Express Service Code from your PC.

You can get both #s from Start > Help and Support > Computer Information.

When you call, also ask for any diag CDs they might have. The CD w/ the
OS will run you about $10. (That's what they charged me, back in
Jan/Feb). The diag CD set - if they have one - will be about another $10.

Carey,
Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
(bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
Hope to hear from someone else.
Thanks

> Welcome to Dell Support
> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "User42" wrote:
>
> | I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
> CD
> | for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro
> | SP2.
> | Thanks for any help.

http://www.sun.com/emrkt/rejected/index.html :)

I have a nasty feeling you will have to buy one. If Dell offer a restore
disk it is most likely worthless - it will restore it to the same sorry
state it was in when it left the factory - ie minus updates and your data :)

Charlie

User42 wrote:
> Carey,
> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.

I've placed a half dozen or so calls to Dell Customer Support in the
last 9 mos and while I was obviously talking to someone in India, they
were always courteous and easy to understand.

In news:Oq1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:

> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with
> Dell
> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
> Hope to hear from someone else.

I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any
better than what Carey has to say. You have only two choices:
deal with Dell support or buy a whole new copy.

By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were
far from useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian
accent, but was easy to understand. He was polite and helpful and
promptly took care of my problem.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> Welcome to Dell Support
>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "User42" wrote:
>>
>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not
>>> include a CD for the operating system. How do I go about
>>> obtaining
>>> a CD for my WinXP pro SP2.
>>> Thanks for any help.

Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
when you order your computer.

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> http://www.sun.com/emrkt/rejected/index.html :)
>
> I have a nasty feeling you will have to buy one. If Dell offer a restore
> disk it is most likely worthless - it will restore it to the same sorry
> state it was in when it left the factory - ie minus updates and your data
> :)
>
> Charlie
>

> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Carey,
>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Welcome to Dell Support
>>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> a CD
>>> WinXP pro

When you purchased the notebook you had an option to purchase a WinXP Pro
OEM CD. Your only recourse is to contact Dell.

I never call Dell, I always use e-mail support with them and have had no
major issues. And surprisingly I can not detect an accent in the e-mails...
:)

User42 wrote:

> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
> SP2.

XP install files may be in a hidden partition on the hard drive. Still,
I'd call them and demand a physical CD. If your hard drive crashes guess
what, you will have to buy one then anyway. Why pay for XP twice?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Z wrote:

> > Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
> > (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>
> I've placed a half dozen or so calls to Dell Customer Support in the
> last 9 mos and while I was obviously talking to someone in India, they
> were always courteous and easy to understand.

With any tech support you have to keep in mind that you are talking to
real people just like yourself who are just trying to work. If you start
with a bad attitude you will get a bad attitude back.

Yes, many people are frustrated/mad/pissed off when they call tech
support as their pc is broken. Still, one shouldn't take it out on the
person one is asking for help that is probably working for a substitance
wage.

Richard in AZ wrote:

> Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
> it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
> own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
> when you order your computer.

Ten more dollars seems fair.

We purchase Dells all the time at work and have no issues with support or
anything. Call them and they will send you a CD. Heck, I have a millions of
these CDs at work I can send you one.... They are all the same CD, you just
need a DELL and your Microsoft Lisc. Number....

"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.

Al

> In news:Oq1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>

> I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any better than
> what Carey has to say. You have only two choices: deal with Dell support
> or buy a whole new copy.
>
> By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were far from
> useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian accent, but was easy
> to understand. He was polite and helpful and promptly took care of my
> problem.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Welcome to Dell Support
>>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Ken on Dell's Support! The have been super good to deal with
and seem to go the extra mile to help. Compaq's good too!

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:53:25 -0400, "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
>SP2.
>Thanks for any help.

Same thing happened to me. I just used their online live support and
told them why I wanted a Windows XP cd. (MY main reason was to have a
backup in case the hard drive failed or something similar which would
wipe out the hidden restore partition on the drive)

The tech I was talking to said that they usually did not send out the
CD's but that he undewrstood why I wanted them. He then sent me the
XP CD, the Applications CD, and one other CD for the system. Course
it did cost me like $35 for them.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:54:25 -0500, "Al" <abosch@nospamearthlink.net>
wrote:

>"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> In news:Oq1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>>

>> I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any better than
>> what Carey has to say. You have only two choices: deal with Dell support
>> or buy a whole new copy.
>>
>> By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were far from
>> useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian accent, but was easy
>> to understand. He was polite and helpful and promptly took care of my
>> problem.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

>I agree with Ken on Dell's Support! The have been super good to deal with
>and seem to go the extra mile to help. Compaq's good too!

Have to agree here too. I just used their online live tech support
and got my CD's with no problem. Cost me like $35 but that is a lot
cheaper than having to go out and purchase a retail XP.

I wonder how much it costs Dell to process warranty claims compared to how it would cost to provide FREE disks?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:432d1fdd$0$264$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
> Richard in AZ wrote:
>>
>> Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
>> it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
>> own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
>> when you order your computer.
>
> Ten more dollars seems fair.

I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not aware
that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new notebook.
I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop and about
three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds with those
machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main reason is so
obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if it crashes you
should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without having to go through
DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in which I can RETURN this
notebook. I am seriously considering this based on DELL's negligence of
providing a copy of the operating system cd. I think it is LUDICROUS to say
the least that they get away with this. My experience so far with DELL
SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a 'found new hardware wizard'
popping-up everytime I started the notebook and it was annoying. I called
them.... three of them could not help me and the last one told me he would
have to charge me for the support.... needless to say I told him he was out
of his mind because I could very easily return the notebook. I was able to
resolve the problem on my own without their help and without having to pay
for USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their failure to provide the operating
system CD. I am seriously considering returning the notebook.

"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.

Daren

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
debacle.

Maybe, it depends where in world you are, or what the time is, when you
call, but nobody wants to play Russian roulette when they're having
an IT drama.

Let me warn y'all about Dell Diag cds.
The boot drivers are not sterile enough and some problems will keep
the cd from booting. your first clue will be that some cds will boot -
partiton magic, linux on cd, etc. - winxp disk won't.

Specifically, in my case, I had a usb port problem on an 8200
inspiron. when the boot tried to load the cd driver it hung.
I had to resort to making a BART boot cd with all the dell diag files
in order to get it to boot so i could find out what was wrong.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:34:13 -0700, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:

>User42 wrote:
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
>> SP2.
>
>Call Dell Customer Support and ask for one. You'll need the Service Tag
>or Express Service Code from your PC.
>
>You can get both #s from Start > Help and Support > Computer Information.
>
>When you call, also ask for any diag CDs they might have. The CD w/ the
>OS will run you about $10. (That's what they charged me, back in
>Jan/Feb). The diag CD set - if they have one - will be about another $10.

I tried to get details of the Warranty given by Dell! Details do not appear to be readily available!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message news:Os1nuOHvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not aware
> that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new notebook.
> I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop and about
> three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds with those
> machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main reason is so
> obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if it crashes you
> should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without having to go through
> DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in which I can RETURN this
> notebook. I am seriously considering this based on DELL's negligence of
> providing a copy of the operating system cd. I think it is LUDICROUS to say
> the least that they get away with this. My experience so far with DELL
> SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a 'found new hardware wizard'
> popping-up everytime I started the notebook and it was annoying. I called
> them.... three of them could not help me and the last one told me he would
> have to charge me for the support.... needless to say I told him he was out
> of his mind because I could very easily return the notebook. I was able to
> resolve the problem on my own without their help and without having to pay
> for USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their failure to provide the operating
> system CD. I am seriously considering returning the notebook.
>

> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
>> pro SP2.
>> Thanks for any help.

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Daren <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
>an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
>involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
>recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
>debacle.

Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
system CDs with their systems?

My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.

--
Nightowl

Nightowl wrote:
> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
> system CDs with their systems?

Dell. Either ask for the CD when you order the system or call them up
after you rcv the system and ask for it.

> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.

They supply them if you ask, either when you place the order or
after-the-fact, when you've already got the system.

I'm not aware of any listing, but most all the OEM PCs I've
recently setup/configured did NOT ship with a OEM XP CD.

Maybe some of the smaller companies still do, but because
margins and competition are so tough, once one vendor stops
shipping them - most everyone do the same.

Perhaps Microsoft should just offer to sell disks themselves,
without a Product Key and bypass the OEMs. The only issue
might be embedded OEM Drivers, but those are usually on
the vendor web sites.

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Daren <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:
>
>>I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
>>an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
>>involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
>>recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
>>debacle.
>
> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
> system CDs with their systems?
>
> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.
>
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Z <Z@no.spam> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>Nightowl wrote:
>> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
>> system CDs with their systems?
>
>Dell. Either ask for the CD when you order the system or call them up
>after you rcv the system and ask for it.
>

>> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
>> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.
>
>They supply them if you ask, either when you place the order or after-
>the-fact, when you've already got the system.

Thanks, Z. I hope it is the same in the UK.

I'm hoping to make this current system last another year before I have
to buy again, but I'll be sure to ask Dell about the CDs before I place
an order.

--
Nightowl