Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Dell Inspiron but no WinXPPro CD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:53:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
SP2.
Thanks for any help.

More about : dell inspiron winxppro

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:53:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"User42" wrote:

| I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
| for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
| SP2.
| Thanks for any help.
September 18, 2005 1:53:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User42 wrote:
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
> SP2.

Call Dell Customer Support and ask for one. You'll need the Service Tag
or Express Service Code from your PC.

You can get both #s from Start > Help and Support > Computer Information.

When you call, also ask for any diag CDs they might have. The CD w/ the
OS will run you about $10. (That's what they charged me, back in
Jan/Feb). The diag CD set - if they have one - will be about another $10.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:02:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Carey,
Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
(bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
Hope to hear from someone else.
Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Welcome to Dell Support
> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "User42" wrote:
>
> | I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
> CD
> | for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro
> | SP2.
> | Thanks for any help.
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

http://www.sun.com/emrkt/rejected/index.html :) 

I have a nasty feeling you will have to buy one. If Dell offer a restore
disk it is most likely worthless - it will restore it to the same sorry
state it was in when it left the factory - ie minus updates and your data :) 

Charlie


"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o q1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Carey,
> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
> Hope to hear from someone else.
> Thanks
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Welcome to Dell Support
>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "User42" wrote:
>>
>> | I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
>> CD
>> | for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my
>> WinXP pro
>> | SP2.
>> | Thanks for any help.
>>
>
>
September 18, 2005 2:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User42 wrote:
> Carey,
> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.

I've placed a half dozen or so calls to Dell Customer Support in the
last 9 mos and while I was obviously talking to someone in India, they
were always courteous and easy to understand.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:o q1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:

> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with
> Dell
> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
> Hope to hear from someone else.


I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any
better than what Carey has to say. You have only two choices:
deal with Dell support or buy a whole new copy.

By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were
far from useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian
accent, but was easy to understand. He was polite and helpful and
promptly took care of my problem.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup



> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
> message
> news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Welcome to Dell Support
>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "User42" wrote:
>>
>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not
>>> include a CD for the operating system. How do I go about
>>> obtaining
>>> a CD for my WinXP pro SP2.
>>> Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:02:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
when you order your computer.

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
news:%23OlFGg$uFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://www.sun.com/emrkt/rejected/index.html :) 
>
> I have a nasty feeling you will have to buy one. If Dell offer a restore
> disk it is most likely worthless - it will restore it to the same sorry
> state it was in when it left the factory - ie minus updates and your data
> :) 
>
> Charlie
>
>
> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o q1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Carey,
>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Welcome to Dell Support
>>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> "User42" wrote:
>>>
>>> | I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include
>>> a CD
>>> | for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my
>>> WinXP pro
>>> | SP2.
>>> | Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you purchased the notebook you had an option to purchase a WinXP Pro
OEM CD. Your only recourse is to contact Dell.

I never call Dell, I always use e-mail support with them and have had no
major issues. And surprisingly I can not detect an accent in the e-mails...
:-)


"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:08:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User42 wrote:
>
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
> SP2.

XP install files may be in a hidden partition on the hard drive. Still,
I'd call them and demand a physical CD. If your hard drive crashes guess
what, you will have to buy one then anyway. Why pay for XP twice?






--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:08:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Z wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
> > (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>
> I've placed a half dozen or so calls to Dell Customer Support in the
> last 9 mos and while I was obviously talking to someone in India, they
> were always courteous and easy to understand.

With any tech support you have to keep in mind that you are talking to
real people just like yourself who are just trying to work. If you start
with a bad attitude you will get a bad attitude back.

Yes, many people are frustrated/mad/pissed off when they call tech
support as their pc is broken. Still, one shouldn't take it out on the
person one is asking for help that is probably working for a substitance
wage.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:08:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Richard in AZ wrote:
>
> Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
> it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
> own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
> when you order your computer.

Ten more dollars seems fair.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:26:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We purchase Dells all the time at work and have no issues with support or
anything. Call them and they will send you a CD. Heck, I have a millions of
these CDs at work I can send you one.... They are all the same CD, you just
need a DELL and your Microsoft Lisc. Number....

"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.
>
September 18, 2005 10:54:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
news:u82HVfAvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:o q1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>
>
> I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any better than
> what Carey has to say. You have only two choices: deal with Dell support
> or buy a whole new copy.
>
> By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were far from
> useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian accent, but was easy
> to understand. He was polite and helpful and promptly took care of my
> problem.
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Welcome to Dell Support
>>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> "User42" wrote:
>>>
>>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not
>>>> include a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining
>>>> a CD for my WinXP pro SP2.
>>>> Thanks for any help.
>
>
I agree with Ken on Dell's Support! The have been super good to deal with
and seem to go the extra mile to help. Compaq's good too!
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:53:25 -0400, "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
>SP2.
>Thanks for any help.
>


Same thing happened to me. I just used their online live support and
told them why I wanted a Windows XP cd. (MY main reason was to have a
backup in case the hard drive failed or something similar which would
wipe out the hidden restore partition on the drive)

The tech I was talking to said that they usually did not send out the
CD's but that he undewrstood why I wanted them. He then sent me the
XP CD, the Applications CD, and one other CD for the system. Course
it did cost me like $35 for them.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:59:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:54:25 -0500, "Al" <abosch@nospamearthlink.net>
wrote:

>
>"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>news:u82HVfAvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> In news:o q1ynU$uFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> User42 <yagrumo@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> Thank you for your prompt response. I am simply fed up with Dell
>>> (bogus)Support. They hardly speak English and are useless.
>>> Hope to hear from someone else.
>>
>>
>> I'm someone else, but you won't like what I have to say any better than
>> what Carey has to say. You have only two choices: deal with Dell support
>> or buy a whole new copy.
>>
>> By the way, I've dealt with Dell support on my laptop. They were far from
>> useless. The person I spoke with spoke with an Indian accent, but was easy
>> to understand. He was polite and helpful and promptly took care of my
>> problem.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>>
>>
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o buNpR$uFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>> Welcome to Dell Support
>>>> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Carey Frisch
>>>> Microsoft MVP
>>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>>
>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> "User42" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not
>>>>> include a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining
>>>>> a CD for my WinXP pro SP2.
>>>>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>>
>I agree with Ken on Dell's Support! The have been super good to deal with
>and seem to go the extra mile to help. Compaq's good too!
>


Have to agree here too. I just used their online live tech support
and got my CD's with no problem. Cost me like $35 but that is a lot
cheaper than having to go out and purchase a retail XP.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:44:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I wonder how much it costs Dell to process warranty claims compared to how it would cost to provide FREE disks?

--


Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:432d1fdd$0$264$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
> Richard in AZ wrote:
>>
>> Not true Charlie, The problem with the Dell OS disk was the ability to use
>> it on almost any machine. MS did not like that. They tried the "make your
>> own with a CD burn" system, but now you call up and buy the OS disk, $10
>> when you order your computer.
>
> Ten more dollars seems fair.
>
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:07:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not aware
that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new notebook.
I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop and about
three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds with those
machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main reason is so
obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if it crashes you
should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without having to go through
DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in which I can RETURN this
notebook. I am seriously considering this based on DELL's negligence of
providing a copy of the operating system cd. I think it is LUDICROUS to say
the least that they get away with this. My experience so far with DELL
SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a 'found new hardware wizard'
popping-up everytime I started the notebook and it was annoying. I called
them.... three of them could not help me and the last one told me he would
have to charge me for the support.... needless to say I told him he was out
of his mind because I could very easily return the notebook. I was able to
resolve the problem on my own without their help and without having to pay
for USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their failure to provide the operating
system CD. I am seriously considering returning the notebook.


"User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
> pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.
>
September 18, 2005 5:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
debacle.

Maybe, it depends where in world you are, or what the time is, when you
call, but nobody wants to play Russian roulette when they're having
an IT drama.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:45:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Let me warn y'all about Dell Diag cds.
The boot drivers are not sterile enough and some problems will keep
the cd from booting. your first clue will be that some cds will boot -
partiton magic, linux on cd, etc. - winxp disk won't.

Specifically, in my case, I had a usb port problem on an 8200
inspiron. when the boot tried to load the cd driver it hung.
I had to resort to making a BART boot cd with all the dell diag files
in order to get it to boot so i could find out what was wrong.




On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:34:13 -0700, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:

>User42 wrote:
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP pro
>> SP2.
>
>Call Dell Customer Support and ask for one. You'll need the Service Tag
>or Express Service Code from your PC.
>
>You can get both #s from Start > Help and Support > Computer Information.
>
>When you call, also ask for any diag CDs they might have. The CD w/ the
>OS will run you about $10. (That's what they charged me, back in
>Jan/Feb). The diag CD set - if they have one - will be about another $10.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:31:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I tried to get details of the Warranty given by Dell! Details do not appear to be readily available!

--


Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message news:o s1nuOHvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not aware
> that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new notebook.
> I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop and about
> three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds with those
> machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main reason is so
> obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if it crashes you
> should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without having to go through
> DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in which I can RETURN this
> notebook. I am seriously considering this based on DELL's negligence of
> providing a copy of the operating system cd. I think it is LUDICROUS to say
> the least that they get away with this. My experience so far with DELL
> SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a 'found new hardware wizard'
> popping-up everytime I started the notebook and it was annoying. I called
> them.... three of them could not help me and the last one told me he would
> have to charge me for the support.... needless to say I told him he was out
> of his mind because I could very easily return the notebook. I was able to
> resolve the problem on my own without their help and without having to pay
> for USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their failure to provide the operating
> system CD. I am seriously considering returning the notebook.
>
>
> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a CD
>> for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my WinXP
>> pro SP2.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>
>
September 19, 2005 4:02:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Daren <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
>an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
>involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
>recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
>debacle.

Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
system CDs with their systems?

My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.

--
Nightowl
September 19, 2005 4:02:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Nightowl wrote:
> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
> system CDs with their systems?

Dell. Either ask for the CD when you order the system or call them up
after you rcv the system and ask for it.


> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.

They supply them if you ask, either when you place the order or
after-the-fact, when you've already got the system.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:02:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm not aware of any listing, but most all the OEM PCs I've
recently setup/configured did NOT ship with a OEM XP CD.

Maybe some of the smaller companies still do, but because
margins and competition are so tough, once one vendor stops
shipping them - most everyone do the same.

Perhaps Microsoft should just offer to sell disks themselves,
without a Product Key and bypass the OEMs. The only issue
might be embedded OEM Drivers, but those are usually on
the vendor web sites.

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:fTryPtI4HfLDFw9h@black.hole...
> Daren <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:
>
>>I have recently bought a Dell laptop and have found the support to be
>>an absolute nightmare. I am very happy with the laptop but the pain
>>involved dealing with the 'help' desk means I will never buy, or
>>recommend a Dell again. And yes, the pigeon English adds to the
>>debacle.
>
> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
> system CDs with their systems?
>
> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.
>
> --
> Nightowl
September 19, 2005 4:36:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Z <Z@no.spam> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>Nightowl wrote:
>> Can anybody list manufacturers who *do* still provide proper operating
>> system CDs with their systems?
>
>Dell. Either ask for the CD when you order the system or call them up
>after you rcv the system and ask for it.
>
>
>> My last two machines came from Dell and I've been very happy with them,
>> but I won't buy Dell again if they too have stopped supplying CDs.
>
>They supply them if you ask, either when you place the order or after-
>the-fact, when you've already got the system.

Thanks, Z. I hope it is the same in the UK.

I'm hoping to make this current system last another year before I have
to buy again, but I'll be sure to ask Dell about the CDs before I place
an order.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:16:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User42 wrote:
> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include
> a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for
> my WinXP pro SP2.
> Thanks for any help.

When I ordered my new Dell last month online, included in the long list of
options was the option of purchasing the disks for $8.00. I am sure you can
call and order them easily.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 4:27:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Go to the site below for instructions in making your own recovery CD :
How Do I Create My Operating System CD using the Dell OS Recovery Utility?

Overview

The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of one operating system CD.
This means that you can make one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD for
backup purposes.

To create an operating system CD, perform the following steps:

Run the DellT OS Recovery Utility
Go here...Good luck:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...


"User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message
news:o s1nuOHvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not
> aware that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new
> notebook. I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop
> and about three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds
> with those machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main reason
> is so obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if it
> crashes you should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without having
> to go through DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in which I can
> RETURN this notebook. I am seriously considering this based on DELL's
> negligence of providing a copy of the operating system cd. I think it is
> LUDICROUS to say the least that they get away with this. My experience so
> far with DELL SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a 'found new
> hardware wizard' popping-up everytime I started the notebook and it was
> annoying. I called them.... three of them could not help me and the last
> one told me he would have to charge me for the support.... needless to say
> I told him he was out of his mind because I could very easily return the
> notebook. I was able to resolve the problem on my own without their help
> and without having to pay for USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their
> failure to provide the operating system CD. I am seriously considering
> returning the notebook.
>
>
> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
>> CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my
>> WinXP pro SP2.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:22:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

MedRxman,
This option is no longer available for computers sold by DELL after July 15,
2005. You do not have this option anymore. Now they expect you to pay for
the original CD in addition to whatever operating system you order. They
are trying to PUSH this DELL SYSTEM RESTORE as a replacement. The problem
with this Dell System Restore is that it ERASES everything you have put into
your computer if you use this GARBAGE of DELL System Restore. I refuse to
do that. I understand they are going to send me the CD in the mail. Let me
tell you it's been difficult to contact DELL. The chat people don't know
much about anything. Getting thru by phone is IMPOSSIBLE. The best way I
found out is EMAIL. I told them I was getting ready to RETURN the notebook.
I have bought about 6 new computers in my lifetime and have never had a
problem like this. I do not understand why they do not include the CD with
the notebook shipment and solve many problems.




"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o HRgZcTvFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Go to the site below for instructions in making your own recovery CD :
> How Do I Create My Operating System CD using the Dell OS Recovery Utility?
>
> Overview
>
> The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of one operating system
> CD. This means that you can make one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system
> CD for backup purposes.
>
> To create an operating system CD, perform the following steps:
>
> Run the DellT OS Recovery Utility
> Go here...Good luck:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
>
> "User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o s1nuOHvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not
>> aware that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new
>> notebook. I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second laptop
>> and about three other desktops. I was always provided the software cds
>> with those machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD. The main
>> reason is so obvious... you are paying for this operating system and if
>> it crashes you should be able to have a hard CD to resort to without
>> having to go through DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21 days in
>> which I can RETURN this notebook. I am seriously considering this based
>> on DELL's negligence of providing a copy of the operating system cd. I
>> think it is LUDICROUS to say the least that they get away with this. My
>> experience so far with DELL SUPPORT is not very good. I was getting a
>> 'found new hardware wizard' popping-up everytime I started the notebook
>> and it was annoying. I called them.... three of them could not help me
>> and the last one told me he would have to charge me for the support....
>> needless to say I told him he was out of his mind because I could very
>> easily return the notebook. I was able to resolve the problem on my own
>> without their help and without having to pay for USELESS SUPPORT. Now
>> this about their failure to provide the operating system CD. I am
>> seriously considering returning the notebook.
>>
>>
>> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
>>> CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my
>>> WinXP pro SP2.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

To save cost(s), companies trim back services - especially with Tech
support. So we have "Outsourced-OffShored" front line service that
is little more than Knowledge Base Article/Database searches. This
newsgroup probably has a higher throughput/resolved rating that any
of the OEM 1st-line tech support. Dell did away with the CD because
their "Research" showed only 1-10 customers ever needed or used it.
Not exactly a smart or efficient decision, but Bean-Counters love it.

"User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message
news:uVONVBWvFHA.3764@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> MedRxman,
> This option is no longer available for computers sold by DELL after July
> 15, 2005. You do not have this option anymore. Now they expect you to
> pay for the original CD in addition to whatever operating system you
> order. They are trying to PUSH this DELL SYSTEM RESTORE as a replacement.
> The problem with this Dell System Restore is that it ERASES everything you
> have put into your computer if you use this GARBAGE of DELL System
> Restore. I refuse to do that. I understand they are going to send me the
> CD in the mail. Let me tell you it's been difficult to contact DELL. The
> chat people don't know much about anything. Getting thru by phone is
> IMPOSSIBLE. The best way I found out is EMAIL. I told them I was getting
> ready to RETURN the notebook. I have bought about 6 new computers in my
> lifetime and have never had a problem like this. I do not understand why
> they do not include the CD with the notebook shipment and solve many
> problems.
>
>
>
>
> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o HRgZcTvFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Go to the site below for instructions in making your own recovery CD :
>> How Do I Create My Operating System CD using the Dell OS Recovery
>> Utility?
>>
>> Overview
>>
>> The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of one operating system
>> CD. This means that you can make one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system
>> CD for backup purposes.
>>
>> To create an operating system CD, perform the following steps:
>>
>> Run the DellT OS Recovery Utility
>> Go here...Good luck:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>
>>
>> "User42" <user42@bogusnospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:o s1nuOHvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> I'd like to take the time to THANK YOU all that responded. I was not
>>> aware that DELL would not include a hard CD with the shipment of a new
>>> notebook. I have bought many sistems.... I think this is my second
>>> laptop and about three other desktops. I was always provided the
>>> software cds with those machines. Especially the OPERATING SYSTEM CD.
>>> The main reason is so obvious... you are paying for this operating
>>> system and if it crashes you should be able to have a hard CD to resort
>>> to without having to go through DELL SUPPORT. I am still within the 21
>>> days in which I can RETURN this notebook. I am seriously considering
>>> this based on DELL's negligence of providing a copy of the operating
>>> system cd. I think it is LUDICROUS to say the least that they get away
>>> with this. My experience so far with DELL SUPPORT is not very good. I
>>> was getting a 'found new hardware wizard' popping-up everytime I started
>>> the notebook and it was annoying. I called them.... three of them could
>>> not help me and the last one told me he would have to charge me for the
>>> support.... needless to say I told him he was out of his mind because I
>>> could very easily return the notebook. I was able to resolve the
>>> problem on my own without their help and without having to pay for
>>> USELESS SUPPORT. Now this about their failure to provide the operating
>>> system CD. I am seriously considering returning the notebook.
>>>
>>>
>>> "User42" <yagrumo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:%239VXPP$uFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include a
>>>> CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for my
>>>> WinXP pro SP2.
>>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:40:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I remember seeing this but did not order because I thought I'd be buying an
additional BACK-UP CD. I did not know that DELL is getting away with
installing operating systems and holding back the CD and forcing you to pay
extra for it. Like I hav said I have bought about 6 computers in my
lifetime and have ALWAYS received the CD for the operating system for
obvious reasons. You are paying for this operating system and you should
get the CD that comes with it for in the event that you might needed later.


"RA" <none> wrote in message news:e4HIbxRvFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> User42 wrote:
>> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include
>> a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for
>> my WinXP pro SP2.
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> When I ordered my new Dell last month online, included in the long list of
> options was the option of purchasing the disks for $8.00. I am sure you
> can call and order them easily.
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:19:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> tell you it's been difficult to contact DELL. The chat people don't know
> much about anything. Getting thru by phone is IMPOSSIBLE. The best way I

While reading your reply I connccted to Dell chat support and the chat
person is sending me a Windows XP Pro CD.

go figure
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:59:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User42 wrote:
>
> I remember seeing this but did not order because I thought I'd be buying an
> additional BACK-UP CD. I did not know that DELL is getting away with
> installing operating systems and holding back the CD and forcing you to pay
> extra for it. Like I hav said I have bought about 6 computers in my

This allows Dell to sell to people who price shop, as NOT supplying the
cd they can sell the laptop for less.

> lifetime and have ALWAYS received the CD for the operating system for
> obvious reasons. You are paying for this operating system and you should
> get the CD that comes with it for in the event that you might needed later.

If you want the CD then you have to pay full price for the OS.

>
> "RA" <none> wrote in message news:e4HIbxRvFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > User42 wrote:
> >> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include
> >> a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for
> >> my WinXP pro SP2.
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >
> > When I ordered my new Dell last month online, included in the long list of
> > options was the option of purchasing the disks for $8.00. I am sure you
> > can call and order them easily.
> >

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:27:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are correct. They have shipped the CD to me. The cost is apprx. $10.
I think all of this could have been avoided if they were a little more clear
and tell you upfront that they do not include the CD with the initial order
unless you pay for it outright.




"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:432fb289$1$196$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
> User42 wrote:
>>
>> I remember seeing this but did not order because I thought I'd be buying
>> an
>> additional BACK-UP CD. I did not know that DELL is getting away with
>> installing operating systems and holding back the CD and forcing you to
>> pay
>> extra for it. Like I hav said I have bought about 6 computers in my
>
> This allows Dell to sell to people who price shop, as NOT supplying the
> cd they can sell the laptop for less.
>
>> lifetime and have ALWAYS received the CD for the operating system for
>> obvious reasons. You are paying for this operating system and you should
>> get the CD that comes with it for in the event that you might needed
>> later.
>
> If you want the CD then you have to pay full price for the OS.
>
>>
>> "RA" <none> wrote in message news:e4HIbxRvFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > User42 wrote:
>> >> I've just purchased an Inspiron 700M from Dell. They did not include
>> >> a CD for the operating system. How do I go about obtaining a CD for
>> >> my WinXP pro SP2.
>> >> Thanks for any help.
>> >
>> > When I ordered my new Dell last month online, included in the long list
>> > of
>> > options was the option of purchasing the disks for $8.00. I am sure you
>> > can call and order them easily.
>> >
>
> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>
>
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:27:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I can't believe dell does this.
Reports very on the replacement os from $10 to Full price.

Greg Ro
!