Scott

I bought up a 3-year old Gateway E-3400 desktop from eBay with
a 700 MHz processor upgrade. There's an AVC Model #C5515B12M
ball bearing fan mounted atop the CPU. The fan makes a sort of whining
sound...not real loud, but annoying. This fan and the case fan are both
very clean, so I don't think it's worn out. I see on AVC's website that
the fan puts out 38.2 dB(A) sound level at 4,500 rpm and 13.86 CFM
airflow. There's a smaller fan (same size mount) that has only 29 dB(A)
sound level at 3,500 rpm and 10.7 CFM airflow.

Is it possible a replacement fan (same model #) would be noticeably
quieter, or would the slower fan (and less airflow) be safe to use?

The case fan blows quite a bit of air directly over the CPU.

Or, are there even quieter fans available?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott,

The noise could be caused by bearing wear on the 3-year old fan. Odds are a new
fan of the same model would be quieter. Do not rule out other possibly quieter
brands of cooling fans. Unlike Socket 478 cooling fans with special mounting
brackets, the Socket 370 cooling fans all have the same arrangement for
attaching fan to processor socket... Ben Myers

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:41:13 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>I bought up a 3-year old Gateway E-3400 desktop from eBay with
>a 700 MHz processor upgrade. There's an AVC Model #C5515B12M
>ball bearing fan mounted atop the CPU. The fan makes a sort of whining
>sound...not real loud, but annoying. This fan and the case fan are both
>very clean, so I don't think it's worn out. I see on AVC's website that
>the fan puts out 38.2 dB(A) sound level at 4,500 rpm and 13.86 CFM
>airflow. There's a smaller fan (same size mount) that has only 29 dB(A)
>sound level at 3,500 rpm and 10.7 CFM airflow.
>
>Is it possible a replacement fan (same model #) would be noticeably
>quieter, or would the slower fan (and less airflow) be safe to use?
>
>The case fan blows quite a bit of air directly over the CPU.
>
>Or, are there even quieter fans available?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott

Scott

Ben,

In looking around, I find different size fans for this CPU. The
AVC fan is 55 x 55 x 16 mm. Others, like the Dynatron, are
60 x 60 x 10 (mm). Should any Socket 370 cooling fan
work, regardless of fan dimensions?

Thanks!
Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Scott,
>
> The noise could be caused by bearing wear on the 3-year old fan. Odds are a new
> fan of the same model would be quieter. Do not rule out other possibly quieter
> brands of cooling fans. Unlike Socket 478 cooling fans with special mounting
> brackets, the Socket 370 cooling fans all have the same arrangement for
> attaching fan to processor socket... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:41:13 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >I bought up a 3-year old Gateway E-3400 desktop from eBay with
> >a 700 MHz processor upgrade. There's an AVC Model #C5515B12M
> >ball bearing fan mounted atop the CPU. The fan makes a sort of whining
> >sound...not real loud, but annoying. This fan and the case fan are both
> >very clean, so I don't think it's worn out. I see on AVC's website that
> >the fan puts out 38.2 dB(A) sound level at 4,500 rpm and 13.86 CFM
> >airflow. There's a smaller fan (same size mount) that has only 29 dB(A)
> >sound level at 3,500 rpm and 10.7 CFM airflow.
> >
> >Is it possible a replacement fan (same model #) would be noticeably
> >quieter, or would the slower fan (and less airflow) be safe to use?
> >
> >The case fan blows quite a bit of air directly over the CPU.
> >
> >Or, are there even quieter fans available?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Scott

Yes, any fan designed for Socket 370 should work. Pay attention to the
clearance inside the E3400 chassis. Some systems have plastic cowls to
ventilate better. If a cowl is the wrong size and the fan is too, the fan will
interfere with the proper positioning of the cowl... Ben