Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?

Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?

HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?

comments?

piddie wrote:
> Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>
> HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>
> comments?

Probably. Isn't .NET a component of Windows XP-SP1 or
installed with the SP1 upgrade?

On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:35:19 -0700, Tritium <h3@hot.lab> wrote:

>piddie wrote:
>> Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>>
>> HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>>
>> comments?
>>

>Probably. Isn't .NET a component of Windows XP-SP1 or
>installed with the SP1 upgrade?

No, it's not included in SP1.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

piddie <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote:

>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>
>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>
>comments?

Either they come with .Net Framework as part of the
XP-Home/Professional installation, or they are a free
"recommended" update when you use the Windows Update feature.

I suspect the former, since every indication on my machines is
that it was installed initially on the same date as the XPPro
that came on my D4400. And updated my L733r to at the same time.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> piddie <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote:
>
>>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>>
>>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>>
>>comments?
>
> Either they come with .Net Framework as part of the
> XP-Home/Professional installation, or they are a free
> "recommended" update when you use the Windows Update feature.
>
> I suspect the former, since every indication on my machines is
> that it was installed initially on the same date as the XPPro
> that came on my D4400. And updated my L733r to at the same time.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I've a retail install of XP Pro SP1 from 60 days ago. I had to download
..Net framework 1.1 from Windows Update recently, fwiw.

Stew

What is the .NET stuff for anyways?

Are there any benefits to installing it?

kw

---

It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part of Disk
Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.

"piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message

> Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>
> HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>
> comments?

My Dimension 8300 purchased in March with XP Pro appears to have .NET
installed. I don't use/need it and it doesn't appear in Windows Update,
however it does appear in Windows Update on my 2 year old Dimension 8300
with XP Pro. Doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall it.

WSZsr wrote:
> It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part of Disk
> Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.
>
> "piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message
>
>>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
>>
>>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
>>
>>comments?

Tom;
It is a Microsoft Product available from windows Update.
To uninstall, go to Add/Remove Programs.
Look for "Microsoft .Net Framework"

--
Jupiter Jones
Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> My Dimension 8300 purchased in March with XP Pro appears to have
..NET
> installed. I don't use/need it and it doesn't appear in Windows
Update,
> however it does appear in Windows Update on my 2 year old Dimension
8300
> with XP Pro. Doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall it.
>
> WSZsr wrote:
> > It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part
of Disk
> > Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.
> >
> > "piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
> >>
> >>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
> >>
> >>comments?

"Disk Image 7.0 and probably other software packages"
No, it is not a part of those.
It may be included with them but .Net Framework is a Microsoft Product
It is available from Windows Update as a Recommended Update.

--

Ken Williams wrote:

> What is the .NET stuff for anyways?
>
> Are there any benefits to installing it?

Every program made with Visual Studio C# or
Visual Basic (latest version), will need this
Framework to run.

So I can assume that they will list that as a minimum requirement for the
program or self check/install upon software installation.
kw

> Ken Williams wrote:
>
> > What is the .NET stuff for anyways?
> >
> > Are there any benefits to installing it?
>
> Every program made with Visual Studio C# or
> Visual Basic (latest version), will need this
> Framework to run.

---

"Ken Williams" <NotReal@email.com> wrote in message
> So I can assume that they will list that as a minimum requirement for the
> program or self check/install upon software installation.
> kw

<snip>

I ran into the requirement while registering to report some issues with the
XP SP2 beta on the MS site. Received a prompt that .Net needed to be
installed to complete the report, provided a click to redirect to Windows
update for the download.

Stew