Sign in with
Your question

Ssd fills up when installing programs to hdd

Last response: in Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:28:13 PM

i recently built a computer with a 40 GB ssd and a 320 GB hdd. i installed windows 7 to the ssd and have been installing all applications, programs, games, ect to the hdd. Problem is that the computer is telling me i have 700 some MB left on the ssd when i haven't been installing anything on it.
i recognize that programs will install a small amount of data to the ssd for windows but it shouldn't have filled up the drive...
i need some ideas of how to clear data off of my ssd my operating system and/or a way to install more of the program onto the hdd. also tips for managing the data on the ssd would be useful
thanks!
a c 216 $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:33:07 PM

Set a fixed pagefile size instead of letting windows manage it. In fact, move it to your hard drive if you haven't already. If you don't use hibernate, then turn off hibernation so it will delete your hidden hiberfil.sys file. i beleive the command line is:

powercfg -h

Change the amount of space system restore uses for restore points on the SSD. Use custom install on programs so that you can choose the hard drive as the install destination. I'm sure there are other things you can do also.

Windirstat can help find your larger files.

http://windirstat.info/
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:33:16 PM

Hi, Try installing Treesize and see what files fill the space on the SSD.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:34:46 PM

Basic Windows 7 installation = ~20GB
Page File = ~<installed RAM>
Hibernation file = ~<installed RAM>
Backups of installed updates = several GB
System restore points = up to the limit set by the user
Files added by installed software = several GB
Files in users "Documents" and stored on the desktop = several GB (user profiles are stored on the system drive)

A 40GB SSD isn't going to stretch very far.
November 30, 2012 4:49:54 PM

i've already disabled hibernation mode. i found one of the problems using treesize. gears of war, even though i changed the install directory to my hdd installs to my sdd any ideas how to fix that?
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:53:27 PM

Some software installs a large quantity of files on the system drive regardless of the fact that you performed a custom install and chose another drive. Nothing you can do about those cases except uninstall the software.
November 30, 2012 4:54:41 PM

could i let it install and then copy paste onto the hard hdd?
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 4:58:03 PM

No, those files are required to be where the installer put them. If you move them you break the installation.
a c 216 $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:36:52 PM

Not all programs like being redirected, but it's possible. The only way to know dor sure is to try it. You would install as much of the game on the hard drive. Any folders that the game puts on the SSD will need moved to the hard drive, then a juction point will need to be created where the old folder existed. A junction is sort of like a shortcut. it just points to where the actual folder is.

Google it for a detailed explaination.
December 1, 2012 2:14:42 PM

thanks a bunch for pointing me to this i was able to move a 9 GB file to my hdd and create the junction. the games runs with the junction point.
December 1, 2012 2:16:30 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, Try installing Treesize and see what files fill the space on the SSD.

i was able to use treesize to delete some old temporary install files that i hadn't cleared out before i moved the temp files location. i cleared out about 8 GB of space! thanks!
December 2, 2012 11:37:26 AM

superior1777 said:
i was able to use treesize to delete some old temporary install files that i hadn't cleared out before i moved the temp files location. i cleared out about 8 GB of space! thanks!

Also note that if you have a device like iPhone or iPad, when you make a backup on iTunes it will fill up your OS drive with the backup. Assuming you have a 16GB iPad for example, if it's full, it will take an extra 16GB on your hard drive. Just a thought.
!