AMD Athlon XP

HanY

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
I want to buy AMD Athlon XP, but i have heard that the AMD Athlon XP gets too hot ( all tell me Intel is better ), and i playes on the computer 17 hour per day, will it be ok ??? i want informations about that ?? will it be easily fried ( damaged ) of heat ????

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The HOTTEST CPU is probably an INTEL Prescott. Your XP will do fine if you build it right. Plenty of case cooling, adequate power supply, good heatsink, and a quality motherboard. You are worried about nothing!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
buy an AXPm 2600+. it runs on 1.45 vcore.... thats about as cool as you can get on a modern chip that fast. actually, you can run it stable on a burn in test with only 1.4 volts

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>THGCs girl repellent.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, XP isn't that hot. You get a lot of performance out of AMD's later cores given the amount of heat output. In fact, I've found an XP2500+ is no harder to cool than my P4 2.6C. Haven't tried any faster XP processors yet.

The thing is, AMD did have a couple "hot" cores a few years ago, and no thermal protection. That gave rize to a lot of myths about today's processors which are simply not true. The fact is that AMD's newer cores produce only average heat while producing good performance, and modern hardware has thermal protection.

Overclocking normally produces added heat, but in this case I'm going to recommend an overclocked settup. The Mobile XP2500+ is a reduced voltage CPU which produces less heat and overclocks easily. When inserted into a desktop board it receives a slightly higher voltage, I believe 0.2v (but can't remember for sure), and still usually produces less heat than the desktop part. And you can easily set one to 11x200MHz on modern boards, getting XP3200+ speed for a price of around $80.

And even that overclocked XP2500+ Mobile at XP3200+ speed will likely produce far less heat than a P4 3.2E.

Of course you'd want a good board for that settup, I suggest the Abit NF7-S version 2.0.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hey dood, sups

ummm.... crash, wtf is is up with the xp rating. i remember we talked about this and you were saying something about the cache. what i find confusing is the divider doesn't hold true for different speeds.

an axp running at 2ghz with a pr of 2600+ works if you were to divid 2000 by 77. but as the mhz go up, the divider becomes less and less. the axp 3200+ which is running 2.2Ghz works with a divider of 68.

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/other/speedz.JPG" target="_new">so what does this rate to?</A>. is there something that shows how to figure this out as the Mhz go up?

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hmm i was just looking and saw that they also have different rating methods for two 3200+ CPUs with different FSB. so i guess the FSB changes things a bit too. .... AHHHHHHHHHH *pulls hair out* this just got more confusing.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, the base was 1500+ at 88MHz per XP. AMD decided something like 72.5 per step (can't remember because it's been so long since I've read the info) would be sufficient, but since the CPU's were running 133MHz FSB at the time, they made it 66.6 up to something like the 1900+, then made the 66.6 to 72.5 (or whatever it was) correction around 2000+ (notice the estimates when I try to go by memory), then the released a new core and changed the number system a bit but it still went 66.6 per step...with the standard corrections whenver those steps got out of synch...but then they released a new BUS SPEED which was worth something like 266XP's...

Easiest thing to do is look at the speed system for your core and, preferably, bus speed!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
speed system? thats on AMDs site, right? i'm going to go there and look, but i'll keep checking here so you can tell me if thats the wrong place to go looking. lol

i'll also look at sandpile.org

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i gives up. it would be nice if that CPU guid was updated with this kind of info, don't you think. i don't know where to look other than those two sites.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
sandpile might have it, I think I got it from an site like hothardware or something, d00d, it's been like how many years since the XP1500 was released?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[-peep-] d00d, I always have problems finding old info. I remember a couple times AMD said they were sacrificing the high and low end stuff to focus on the midrange market where they could make more money, but they never really followed through and the 3 year old news articles from MSNBC seem to have disappeared too.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
thats a fact. i remember talking to an AMD rep right before the 1Ghz barrier was broke. he said the same thing; "we aren't competing with intel, we will offer economy chips for the mid to low end range PC users" he said. that was confirmed by three or four other reps as well.

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>THGCs girl repellent.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scamtron on 05/13/04 03:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, you can't actually say that without proof around here or you'll get attacked like a pack of monkeys on a cupcake!

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Hey when the shoe fits.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i know! i've been watching what you have been dealing with. there have been many times where i wated to jump in and back you up, but thats a bit corny and gives it that jumping on the band wagon feel, not to mention you can handle yourself pretty well.

i don't like these cocky ego boasting members, so i keep in the deep most of the time. i seriously can't tolerate this kind of behavior in the serious forums.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: You got that right. Even the P4c chips put out more watts than the xps.

True like many posters all heat no performance. Mostly hot air.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 05/13/04 04:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
A lot of people using Athlon XPs, like myself, run their PCs 24/7. No problems whatsoever for the past 14 months on my overclocked Athlon XP 1800+ @ 2GHz. So heat is the last thing you have to worry about, as long as you are using a decent HSF.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Agree.

Athlon XP 1900 (11x200) 42C (Load w/AX-7 & 8cm Tornado) - MSI K7N2 Delta - Corsair Value PC3200 - Gainward GF3 @ 250/550 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -