Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 17, 2011 8:04:20 PM

Hiya fellows :hello: ,
need some realllly urgent expert advice, here is the scene,

I own a 19" ViewSonic VX-1940W LCD with,
---2ms Response
---1680x1080
a balanced awesome viewable size
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/...

today i ve been offer a good price for it, thus am considering selling this and buying this one;

HP x20LED
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06a/382087-38...
---5ms Response
---1600x900
a more wider view

Now here is the story;
Currently i have a great deal of satisfaction with VX-1940W as per gaming and i am not happy selling it (confused), the only reason i would however sell it if this HP X20LED would be any enhancement to the display for the best possible gaming for buck even when the res and response is lower than that of VX-1940w's..

Please Advice me ASAP whether this upgrade would be fruitful in terms of gaming

Please Note that mean while i bought a viewsonic VX1932wmled.. i think it was the amongst the first test line LED launched
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vx1932wmled.htm
it REALLY sucked
--the colors were faded
--ghosting was very visible
--contrast/britness was high which caused eye strain...

i was so heart broken that on the next day i went to return to the vendor back with a loss of $13 and buying me back the VX-1940w

many may have not used vx-1940w but i must say it has provided most awsome gaming details since i got it, it is strangely very different from different LCDs it's colors, res and response is way better than other LCDs and i don't wana lose it again.... only if hpx20 led is really better in gaming and off course if the old vx1932wm nightmare won't repeat i would do so..

so please advice.. the offer to me stands only for 2 dayz!!!!
a b α HP
May 17, 2011 8:18:33 PM

i wouldnt.

you might be gaining 1" on your total monitor size but you are losing 80px in width and 180px in height.

this means that although you will have a bigger screen everything will appear bigger and not as sharp. since you appear to be very happy with the performance of your current monitor i don't think this downgrade will be to your liking.

----

however, if you are open to suggestions on a new monitor other than the one you suggested then it *might* be worthwhile depending on how much you are being offered for the monitor and how much you like some of the things i mention below:

getting a 20" monitor (or 22") at 1920x1080 would definitely be an improvement in terms of resolution. if you have an older system you might want to make sure you can run games at this resolution (as an increase of resolution requires more processing power)

even cheaper new monitors might look just as good or better than your viewsonic. you'd have to see them in person and judge for yourself.

i'm not sure what inputs the viewsonic you have has but if it only has VGA (and not dvi) then this is another thing to consider (if your video card can output dvi).
m
l
May 17, 2011 8:28:35 PM

ssddx said:
i wouldnt.

you might be gaining 1" on your total monitor size but you are losing 80px in width and 180px in height.

this means that although you will have a bigger screen everything will appear bigger and not as sharp. since you appear to be very happy with the performance of your current monitor i don't think this downgrade will be to your liking.

----

however, if you are open to suggestions on a new monitor other than the one you suggested then it *might* be worthwhile depending on how much you are being offered for the monitor and how much you like some of the things i mention below:

getting a 20" monitor (or 22") at 1920x1080 would definitely be an improvement in terms of resolution. if you have an older system you might want to make sure you can run games at this resolution (as an increase of resolution requires more processing power)

even cheaper new monitors might look just as good or better than your viewsonic. you'd have to see them in person and judge for yourself.

i'm not sure what inputs the viewsonic you have has but if it only has VGA (and not dvi) then this is another thing to consider (if your video card can output dvi).

thanx for quick response fellow,

1) u r right about losing px.. but i think new tech may be an improvement LCD-LED??
2)I am considering only HP x20LED because i don't wanna put more cash on the display,, currently this upgrade would cost me about $35 where as New HP x20 LED is of $147 @ my locale
3)The reason why i asked the community about this is that i am not able to get direct in gaming display comparison of hpx20 led and my lcd, there fore i thought some one who have already did that or have got a good xp with displays may give a proper advice
4)My current LCD does have a DVID (DVI port) equaling to HDMI interface graphics rendering support.

so what would u say.......?
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
May 18, 2011 1:39:03 PM

led-lcd monitors aren't some brand new type of display. the led tag only refers to the fact that they use leds instead of ccfls as a backlight. in fact, cheap led-lcd monitors typically have a blue tint to them because of the type of led they use. cheaper led-lcd monitors are also edge-lit which will not offer any gains in terms of contrast.

the only led backlit screen which i've personally compared with ccfl and found an improvement was on a high end (samsung?) television where it had leds arranged in a grid behind the screen. the leds would then turn off/on/dim in blocks which drastically improved overall contrast. however, such technology is still new so is only on high end products now.

---

since your current monitor has dvi-input already, uses a greater resolution and you know it looks and performs well... i have to stick to my original suggestion.

it it were me i'd stay with the original monitor, but do as you wish.
m
l
May 18, 2011 2:04:08 PM

ssddx said:
led-lcd monitors aren't some brand new type of display. the led tag only refers to the fact that they use leds instead of ccfls as a backlight. in fact, cheap led-lcd monitors typically have a blue tint to them because of the type of led they use. cheaper led-lcd monitors are also edge-lit which will not offer any gains in terms of contrast.

the only led backlit screen which i've personally compared with ccfl and found an improvement was on a high end (samsung?) television where it had leds arranged in a grid behind the screen. the leds would then turn off/on/dim in blocks which drastically improved overall contrast. however, such technology is still new so is only on high end products now.

---

since your current monitor has dvi-input already, uses a greater resolution and you know it looks and performs well... i have to stick to my original suggestion.

it it were me i'd stay with the original monitor, but do as you wish.

thanx for the advice time bro.

Any more' suggestions are welcome :) 
m
l
!