external hard drive PC/Mac compatibility question

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a question about using an external hard drive to transfer files from
a Windows PC to an Apple. I'm running WinXP on my home PC and I have
several huge files on my external firewire hard drive that I'd like to
transfer to a friend's G5 running Tiger. Can I just hook up the external
drive to her firewire port and then dump the files on to her hard drive?
Are there any compatibility issues?

More about external hard drive compatibility question

    The Mac and the PC use different file systems,(HFS vs.FAT or NTFS) so this
    won't work.
    You'd be better off using a Mac compatible CD or DVD format, email, or
    networking the two machines.
    The files must be of a type a Mac can read, of course.

    "nikko" wrote:

    > I have a question about using an external hard drive to transfer files from
    > a Windows PC to an Apple. I'm running WinXP on my home PC and I have
    > several huge files on my external firewire hard drive that I'd like to
    > transfer to a friend's G5 running Tiger. Can I just hook up the external
    > drive to her firewire port and then dump the files on to her hard drive?
    > Are there any compatibility issues?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    you better setup a FTP server on your PC and connect to it from MAC

    --
    www.247recovery.com
    --

    "nikko" <nothanks@seriouslynothanks.com> wrote in message
    >I have a question about using an external hard drive to transfer files from
    >a Windows PC to an Apple. I'm running WinXP on my home PC and I have
    >several huge files on my external firewire hard drive that I'd like to
    >transfer to a friend's G5 running Tiger. Can I just hook up the external
    >drive to her firewire port and then dump the files on to her hard drive?
    >Are there any compatibility issues?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "nikko" <nothanks@seriouslynothanks.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a question about using an external hard drive to transfer files
    >>from a Windows PC to an Apple. I'm running WinXP on my home PC and I have
    >>several huge files on my external firewire hard drive that I'd like to
    >>transfer to a friend's G5 running Tiger. Can I just hook up the external
    >>drive to her firewire port and then dump the files on to her hard drive?
    >>Are there any compatibility issues?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    If the drive is formatted FAT and supported by the Mac, it should work. I
    believe that formatting it NTFS will let you read from it, but not write to
    it.

    Can't hurt to try. If it works, you'll get an icon on the Mac desktop for
    the drive.

External Hard Drive Compatibility Hard Drives Macintosh Windows XP