CPU, Mobo, or virus problem?

Im out of ideas on this one.

Im running an Athlon chip 2400 on a VIA mobo EP-8KHA+. Its been working great for many months.

The computer keeps rebooting itself and I have no ability to get it to even boot to a boot disk or the windows disk.

I did figure out how to get the machine to boot - but the only way is to disable the CPU cache in the BIOS (which of course makes everything incredibly slow).

I figured my chip got fried, so I popped in an older AMD chip (1900 I think) and got the exact same problem.

Im thinking its a mobo issue but cant even get a prompt to run any sort of diagnostic, and I dont have a second mobo to pop in and try out. Thought it might be sasser but again no way for me to tell (and I religiously update and run Norton every day).

When I try to boot to Safe Mode in any mode it seems to hang on the file .../System32/drivers/mup.sys

One more thing I should add: the chip is not overheating unless the temperature sensor built into the mobo is malfunctioning. Its running between 50-60C.

Help?

LipperX

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LipperX on 05/13/04 07:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
2 answers Last reply
More about mobo virus problem
  1. power supply problem, bad caps on the mb or possibly bad memory....but i think the answer lies in the mb caps or a bad power supply.....got another power supply you can try?

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
  2. Can you get into bios ok? Try upping the vcore to 1.7v.
    If that is your idle temp, it is too high. Some of the older hsf clips got a little weak after time. Make sure your hsf is not loose.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip Boot