Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Icons Changed

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:19:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become "generic".
All of my other icons have the ability to right click, go to properties, and
"change" the icon from the "generic" to the associated icon, but that option
doesnt seem to be available for My Computer and Network Places. I don't know
why I lost the "associated" icons in the first place, but I did, and now I
want those two back. Any ideas?

More about : icons changed

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 11:21:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:

> My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become
> "generic".

Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button.

--
d-d
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:33:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Usually spyware and cookies from visiting some bad sites will change
icons with things like your internet favourites, having system icons
change is a tad more important and a full investigation is needed, IE
what you did if anything to make it happen.

A reinstall of the o/s over the top should fix it if all else fails,
nothing will be lost.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks. That did it for the "My Computer" icon, but Network Places is still
"generic". One more thing, my Recycle Bin icon is okay as long as there's
nothing in it, but as soon as I put something in it, it goes generic on me
too and doesn't change back until I empty it. These darn computers sure have
minds of their own!


"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
news:b18c2951bebb15d8eca15ff83c2db35b@d-d.mvps.org...
> Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become
>> "generic".
>
> Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button.
>
> --
> d-d
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:38:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I don't think I"m up for all that ! My o/s is part of an entire "recovery
disk", so I don't think that's a solution. Maybe I'll just live with the
generic icons!


"digisol" <digisol@optusnet.com-dot-au.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:D D9Xe.79021$0I4.26840@fe05.news.easynews.com...
> Usually spyware and cookies from visiting some bad sites will change
> icons with things like your internet favourites, having system icons
> change is a tad more important and a full investigation is needed, IE
> what you did if anything to make it happen.
>
> A reinstall of the o/s over the top should fix it if all else fails,
> nothing will be lost.
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

HOORAY!! I used TweakUI to "Repair Icons" (forgot all about that little
lifesaver program!) and everything is back to normal !


"Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:%23X8pGbGvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks. That did it for the "My Computer" icon, but Network Places is
> still "generic". One more thing, my Recycle Bin icon is okay as long as
> there's nothing in it, but as soon as I put something in it, it goes
> generic on me too and doesn't change back until I empty it. These darn
> computers sure have minds of their own!
>
>
> "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> news:b18c2951bebb15d8eca15ff83c2db35b@d-d.mvps.org...
>> Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become
>>> "generic".
>>
>> Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button.
>>
>> --
>> d-d
>
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right Click on Desktop>Properties>Desktop>Customize Desktop>Select Restore
Default for those two icons.

See also:-
Run the following edit:-
'Repairs the Icon View'-the edit no.4;left.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
"Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:e92shjBvFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become
> "generic". All of my other icons have the ability to right click, go to
> properties, and "change" the icon from the "generic" to the associated
> icon, but that option doesnt seem to be available for My Computer and
> Network Places. I don't know why I lost the "associated" icons in the
> first place, but I did, and now I want those two back. Any ideas?
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:16:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks. That did it for the "My Computer" icon, but Network Places is still
"generic". One more thing, my Recycle Bin icon is okay as long as there's
nothing in it, but as soon as I put something in it, it goes generic on me
too and doesn't change back until I empty it. These darn computers sure have
minds of their own!

I tried your web link too, but that didn't do anything either.


"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o LiUiUCvFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Right Click on Desktop>Properties>Desktop>Customize Desktop>Select Restore
> Default for those two icons.
>
> See also:-
> Run the following edit:-
> 'Repairs the Icon View'-the edit no.4;left.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:e92shjBvFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> My icons for MY COMPUTER and NETWORK PLACES have suddenly become
>> "generic". All of my other icons have the ability to right click, go to
>> properties, and "change" the icon from the "generic" to the associated
>> icon, but that option doesnt seem to be available for My Computer and
>> Network Places. I don't know why I lost the "associated" icons in the
>> first place, but I did, and now I want those two back. Any ideas?
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:54:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Thanks. That did it for the "My Computer" icon, but Network Places is
> still "generic". One more thing, my Recycle Bin icon is okay as long as
> there's nothing in it, but as soon as I put something in it, it goes
> generic on me too and doesn't change back until I empty it.

Well, the Recycle Bin icons (full/empty) can be restored or specified in
the same dialog as well. More than often, there is a restart required.
Note that your problems may be caused by Norton-/Symantec software when
being installed. If this is not the case, scan your system for malware.
Also, you may want to use the System Restore tool.

--
d-d
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:14:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:

> HOORAY!! I used TweakUI to "Repair Icons" (forgot all about that little
> lifesaver program!) and everything is back to normal !

If TweakUI ("Repair Icons") was helpful, the Icon Cache (the hidden file
IconCache.db) was damaged. Thanks for the feedback.

--
d-d
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

and thank you for your help!


"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
news:0200c0d296ebeafd12b72333f9f3c212@d-d.mvps.org...
> Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> HOORAY!! I used TweakUI to "Repair Icons" (forgot all about that little
>> lifesaver program!) and everything is back to normal !
>
> If TweakUI ("Repair Icons") was helpful, the Icon Cache (the hidden file
> IconCache.db) was damaged. Thanks for the feedback.
>
> --
> d-d
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote:

> and thank you for your help!

You're most welcome, Jan.

--
d-d
!