nadav64

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Hi
I have a few question about the G500.I was told that i need a mouse pad or else the mouse would eventually die(and i was told the sensor would get ruined).Is this true or without a mouse pad and using it on my wooden desk will nothing happen?

and if you guys say that i need a mouse pad because my mouse will eventually die without a pad,would the ss qck be good for a G500

the mouse will not stop working just because you do not use a mousepad.

if you don't use a mouse mat then the teflon feet on the bottom of your mouse will wear quicker than normal. eventually if they get low any projections off the bottom of the mouse might drag. the mouse will still work but might drag a bit. you can buy replacement feet or make your own if needed.

if you don't use a mousepad then if you have a mouse where the sensor uses a lens almost even with the bottom of the mouse (typically laser mice, never seen an optical mice like this) then the lens could get scratched. i've never had this happen but there is a slight chance depending on how rough your desk is.

that said, i would suggest using a mousepad. using one will save the teflon feet on your mouse and you should get alot less gunk building up on the bottom that you have to clean off. the teflon feet also seem to slide better on a pad. don't go out and buy anything fancy. one of the cloth ones with the rubberfoam backing will do. these are given out free typically but larger ones/thicker ones/fancy print ones are available for $1-5.

myself, i just use a standard sized one, black, that i picked up at staples for $2

nadav64

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Wow,Thanks buddy.
I do have a couple more short questions.
is it true to say that what you said is that while the feet are still good and the lens is still above the surface nothing will happen?.
2nd question is would a newspaper as a pad ruin the mouse and how is the QCK PAD?

from a very quick search it looks like the g500 is a laser mouse. is your lens/protector plate/whatever you want to call it just about even with the bottom of the mouse? if so, then something "could" happen but this does not mean it "would".

to give you an example... i have an old logitech mx1000 laser mouse. the pads are almost completely worn down from not using a mousepad. i have a little on/off switch on the bottom that drags across the table (quite irritating really) but that is the only trouble i've had. i kept nothing hard and gritty on the table and as you know, glass is relatively hard so you would really have to abuse the mouse to get it to scratch. just as long as the actual bottom of the mouse isn't dragging it shouldnt be a huge issue if you keep the desk clean.

ultimately i'd say yes, it is best to not wear down the pads 100% on a laser mouse, but that doesn't mean you will have issues. oh and to clarify, it took me at least 3 years to wear mine down with regular use without a mousepad, not like you will have to worry about it for a good long time either way.

the ink might bleed off of newspaper, but i've used magazines before. i've never heard of the qck pad. again all you need is a cheap foam mousepad like..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&um=1&tbm=isch&tab=wi&q=cheap%20foam%20mouse%20pad&spell=1&sa=X