Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sound in stereo, not 5.1

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 30, 2012 6:18:08 PM

Hey,

So i've had this problem before but randomly windows 7 seems to make it so my 5.1 speakers only send out stereo through 2/3 speakers. I've never found the cause or the fix of it until now, and even then I only know the cause. So as far as i can tell it was when i plugged a 3.5mm jack in the front port that it changed to stereo, so i'm guessing that a setting has changed due to that lead and it hasn't reverted back? :sweat: 

So.. anyone have any ideas? I've tried looking in the settings/playback options but to no luck.

This may help, no idea if it will or not.

Windows 7 - up to date
Connected over an optical lead
Z5500 Speakers
Homebuilt pc - not really worth going into the specs.

If anyone knows anything then it would be greatly appreciated if you could fix this pain in the ass problem! :whistle:  :lol: 

More about : sound stereo

a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:25:37 PM

is it a Realtek controller? if so, they have an audio manager program that normally pops up when you insert the plug, where you can choose what routes to where

dig a lil deeper, it's in there
November 30, 2012 6:31:05 PM

dingo07 said:
is it a Realtek controller? if so, they have an audio manager program that normally pops up when you insert the plug, where you can choose what routes to where

dig a lil deeper, it's in there


Yes it's a Realtek controller. In the sound manager I have options for Environment effects, Equalizers, L and R balance, Main volume and the format.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:42:19 PM

speaker configuration has the options to choose Stereo, Quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1 Speaker... you may want to update your driver version - I'm running 6.0.1.6602
November 30, 2012 6:45:04 PM

dingo07 said:
speaker configuration has the options to choose Stereo, Quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1 Speaker... you may want to update your driver version - I'm running 6.0.1.6602


Yeah, that's what i would usually try and do however I think it may be a thing with optical but the option is greyed out. I think i read somewhere about it being due to optical being digital and stuff, the option is present for a 3.5mm set of speakers though. I'm still searching through the options, thought i got somewhere but it was a dead end :l. If it helps the sound comes out of all of the speakers in certain situations such as music however skype, windows sounds, youtube are all from 1 from what i can hear.
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 7:06:33 PM

you might want to make sure you have selected DTS Audio, Dolby Digital and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio as Encoded formats under the Supported Formats tab in the Digital Output Properties window
November 30, 2012 7:26:32 PM

dingo07 said:
you might want to make sure you have selected DTS Audio, Dolby Digital and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio as Encoded formats under the Supported Formats tab in the Digital Output Properties window


They are selected. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 7:53:57 PM

you're using a toslink to a receiver? rebooting doesn't help?
November 30, 2012 8:46:49 PM

dingo07 said:
you're using a toslink to a receiver? rebooting doesn't help?


Rebooting hasn't helped, no. And the optical/toslink cable goes into the Z5500 sound module, so i suppose that is the receiver?
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 9:59:18 PM

Something a lot of people overlook is that you need 6 channels worth of audio to get 5.1 sound. So you either need something such as a DVD with 5.1 audio encoded in, or some sort of program to do upmixing of the audio from stereo (2 channels) to 5.1.
December 1, 2012 9:23:29 AM

cl-scott said:
Something a lot of people overlook is that you need 6 channels worth of audio to get 5.1 sound. So you either need something such as a DVD with 5.1 audio encoded in, or some sort of program to do upmixing of the audio from stereo (2 channels) to 5.1.


Yeah, i'm pretty sure that's what has changed. When i put in the stereo speakers it would have changed the channels to 2.1 and stopped the audio being upmixed/encoded to DTS. Is there an option anywhere to enable that? Also is it worth somehow deleting the config file or something for the realtek driver? so hopefully everything will go back to default?
December 1, 2012 1:57:09 PM

I just tried AC3 or something however that didn't work :l Anyone have any other ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 2:08:53 PM

download a new driver, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall and delete the old driver. Reboot to make sure there's no rogue driver installed, then when the coast is clear, install the new driver.
December 1, 2012 9:59:32 PM

dingo07 said:
download a new driver, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall and delete the old driver. Reboot to make sure there's no rogue driver installed, then when the coast is clear, install the new driver.


Nothing. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 11:34:13 PM

contact tech support... http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

I'm assuming you've read the manual and are versed in knowing all the features and buttons of the control center and remote... and that you've checked the 2-Position switch is in the 6 ch direct position and not "stereo 1-3 modes"

and you've done the TEST by pressing the button on the remote control
!