From what I understand, in a RAID 0 configuration, files are written
over 2 separate disk. Isn't defragging defeating this purpose by
placing files together again?

shaka

With RAID 0,files are "overlapped" across multiple disks, and has no fault-
tolerance.RAID 1 or mirroring,does not stripe.

In message <usTKFUCvFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl> shaka
<grr8shaka@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From what I understand, in a RAID 0 configuration, files are written
>over 2 separate disk. Isn't defragging defeating this purpose by
>placing files together again?

No, not at all. Both drives will still seek, so average seek times
won't change, but they'll be reading data simultaneously so the burst
transfer rates will be significantly higher.

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Right. Defragging does not change which disk the data portions are stored
> on, it only moves data bits around on each of the individual disks so that
> it is contiguous.

Thanx for the clarification, guys.

shaka

Shaka,

Defragmenting occurs at the file system level - which means that it occurs
at the logical cluster level. The file system has absolutely no idea of the
underlying disk technology. It doesn't know if it is IDE or SCSI or RAIDx,
etc... When you defragment, you are ensuring that only 1 logical I/O
request is sent by the file system to the hard drive controller - instead of
multiple requests. This where the performance benefit comes in. What the
controller does with that single logical request in order to retrieve the
data off of the drive(s) is hidden from the file system.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.