Sign in with
Your question

Image external drive only

Last response: in Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:49:48 PM

Hello,
Is it possible to make a system image of "only" my external drive without inlcuding my internal drive in Windows 7?
Can Acronis complete the task?

More about : image external drive

a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:54:50 PM

Hi :) 

Yes easily...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 6:57:32 PM

luckypig444 said:
Hello,
Is it possible to make a system image of "only" my external drive without inlcuding my internal drive in Windows 7?

Not with the built-in backup.

luckypig444 said:
Can Acronis complete the task?

That's what it exists for. It'll work fine.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 7:00:36 PM

I was hoping someone could explain how. when i go to make the image windows automatically includes the internal drive and there's no way to uncheck it that I know of. I only want to make an image of my external drive in my enclosure.
m
l
November 30, 2012 7:04:44 PM

i'll give acronis a try
m
l
December 1, 2012 6:32:59 AM

well the free version of Acronis can't image an external drive. If you buy the full version of acronis then you can clone the external drive. The cloning feature is only available with the paid version. I tried clonzilla but it has way too many bugs to trust. And all i want to do is image my external drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 1:24:47 PM

Clonezilla works just fine if you take the time to learn it. However, there are some drawbacks such as you can not restore an image to a smaller drive than the original source, you can not expand an image to fill a larger drive, and you can not extract individual files from an image (all limitations of the current Linux tools used in the cloning process)

m
l
!